Is steel real?

Randyforriding

Nov 30, 2012
I'm going to start a fight for Christmas. Yes, I'm a Scrooge.
Keep in mind while you read this that I have five bikes that are in working order and I ride at least once in a while. I have two mountain bikes with aluminum frames, a custom hybrid (probably not like you imagine) with a steel frame, a road bike with a steel frame, and my most recent addition, a road bike with a carbon frame.

There is a small, but vocal, segment of cyclist that are hanging on to the belief that steel is still the best material for making bike frames. Their rallying cry is "steel is real." And I agree that a lot can still be said for steel, especially if you go custom. Custom titanium bikes are outrageously expensive and a true custom carbon bike doesn't exist, in my opinion.

But heres the thing, back in the early and even mid seventies, most, if not all, the bikes in the Tour de France were steel. There was a transition to aluminum and titanium, with none having any real dominance, and steel still hanging on by it's nails. Then there was a transition to carbon, and in (at least) the last several tours every single bike in the TDF has had a carbon fiber frame. Carbon has acheived total dominance, at least in the road racing world.

Why is this? Either there is some huge conspiracy that involves sponsors, team managers, riders, and even cycling publications, or there is a legitimate reason everyone is on carbon. If you think there is a conspiracy, remember that for everyone, winning is paramount. Winning furthers everyone's goals. No one wants to be on an inferior bike. If steel performed as well as carbon, there would be people riding them in the TDF. There aren't.

In my opinion, steel can't compete with carbon, at least in a racing forum, where every second and every once counts.

Now, here's my recomendation for reserecting the steel frame. Some frame makers made a stab at custom tube shapes, but none took it as far as it could be taken. How about: Oversized squarish down tubes. Small diameter seat stays. Flatened chain stays that are more virtically compliant while being more horizontally stiff. Curved tubes. Tapered headtubes. Tubes that are bigger at one end than the other, or flattened one way on one end and the other way on the other. In other words, copy carbon frame design, but taking steel's unique properties into account.

You would, hopefully, retain the graceful elegant lines of steel (huge, fat tubes are ugly and create wind drag), while gaining compliance and stiffness where needed.

If this doesn't start a good argument, I don't know what will.
Randy
P.S. You are all my brothers (and sisters) because we share a love. Merry Christmas!

Originally Posted by Randyforriding .

I'm going to start a fight for Christmas. Yes, I'm a Scrooge.
Keep in mind while you read this that I have five bikes that are in working order and I ride at least once in a while. I have two mountain bikes with aluminum frames, a custom hybrid (probably not like you imagine) with a steel frame, a road bike with a steel frame, and my most recent addition, a road bike with a carbon frame.

There is a small, but vocal, segment of cyclist that are hanging on to the belief that steel is still the best material for making bike frames. Their rallying cry is "steel is real." And I agree that a lot can still be said for steel, especially if you go custom. Custom titanium bikes are outrageously expensive and a true custom carbon bike doesn't exist, in my opinion.

But heres the thing, back in the early and even mid seventies, most, if not all, the bikes in the Tour de France were steel. There was a transition to aluminum and titanium, with none having any real dominance, and steel still hanging on by it's nails. Then there was a transition to carbon, and in (at least) the last several tours every single bike in the TDF has had a carbon fiber frame. Carbon has acheived total dominance, at least in the road racing world.

Why is this? Either there is some huge conspiracy that involves sponsors, team managers, riders, and even cycling publications, or there is a legitimate reason everyone is on carbon. If you think there is a conspiracy, remember that for everyone, winning is paramount. Winning furthers everyone's goals. No one wants to be on an inferior bike. If steel performed as well as carbon, there would be people riding them in the TDF. There aren't.

In my opinion, steel can't compete with carbon, at least in a racing forum, where every second and every once counts.

Now, here's my recomendation for reserecting the steel frame. Some frame makers made a stab at custom tube shapes, but none took it as far as it could be taken. How about: Oversized squarish down tubes. Small diameter seat stays. Flatened chain stays that are more virtically compliant while being more horizontally stiff. Curved tubes. Tapered headtubes. Tubes that are bigger at one end than the other, or flattened one way on one end and the other way on the other. In other words, copy carbon frame design, but taking steel's unique properties into account.

You would, hopefully, retain the graceful elegant lines of steel (huge, fat tubes are ugly and create wind drag), while gaining compliance and stiffness where needed.
If you truly believe that CF has superseded steel for bicycle frames then why are you concerned about resurrecting it as a material for bicycle frames?!?

BTW. I believe that both Calfee and Parlee will cobble up a custom CF frame for anyone who has deep enough pockets ...

There are, undoubtedly, other sources of "custom" CF frames.

FWIW. I believe that you are wrong as to why CF frames are predominant in the Tour & other major races ...

IMO, the reason IS mostly commercial.

Randy, I don't see much in your post to argue about. Agree CF frames and forks have a weight advantage over steel. But I think it's too simplistic to say that because steel is heavier that it's "inferior". The reality is that unless you're racing, a lb or two on the frame/fork doesn't really matter. After all, most of us recreational and club riders carry a lot more than that weight in extra bodyfat.

I'd say the reason that CF has been so successful in the marketplace is because many buyers focus on weight; ie, the lighter the bike is, the "better" it is, and so the higher the sales price. The virtues of other materials aren't as obvious, so they tend to be overlooked. And don't forget the allure of riding what the pro's ride. Hey, maybe I can ride like my favorite TdF pro if I get the same CF bike....who knows?

As to trying to make steel look like CF, why? IMO one of the appeals of steel today are the small round frame tubes and skinny forks, ie, the traditional look. The appeal of traditional steel is still alive with a lot of veteran riders and hip urban bikers as well. Not sure who would want a steel frame that tried to mimic the CF-shaped frame and fork, seen everywhere these days. What would be the point of that?

Actually, the whole "steel is real" thing is kind of put on. A much more accurate phrase to over use would be "my frame is real". I don't buy the X material is better for bikes or the X material feels this way when pedaled arguments. Builders have a lot of flexibility and a great amount of control in how a bike frame will feel or perform. They've got design, geometry, material dimensions, and QC in their favor. Ultimately, though, what makes or breaks ride feel is rider interpretation of what they feel on the bike, a wildly biased and nonobjective parameter. BTW, I think a great number of builders making custom CF frames would be put off by your statement that there aren't any true custom CF frames. Custom CF frames can be at least as custom as custom steel, titanium, or aluminum frames.

Originally Posted by dhk2 .

And don't forget the allure of riding what the pro's ride. Hey, maybe I can ride like my favorite TdF pro if I get the same CF bike....who knows?
No you wont... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif I was checking some times from the Tour de France website the other day and a 50km time trial course had a winning time of 50km/h average speed over the whole 50km of the segment. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif That was a pretty flat segment too, it wasnt a descent. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

"...steel is still the best material for making bike frames."

Define 'best'.

"In my opinion, steel can't compete with carbon, at least in a racing forum, where every second and every once counts."

My opinion agrees with your opinion.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

"In my opinion, steel can't compete with carbon, at least in a racing forum, where every second and every once counts."

My opinion agrees with your opinion.
But, think of what you could do on this re-issue:

...and no worries about forks exploding or rims melting!

The '70's repli-racers were awesome. A top-of-the-line W.F. Holdsworthy and a couple of Raleighs would be a good start for a Steel Is Real museum...or to equip a team of retro-grouches! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Rims, hell...they'll never retrieve that poor seat. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif