Is Steel the best material?

My father bought a Raleigh Competition Mark II in 1972 (a year before I was born) and logged 1000's of miles on it. It's Reynolds 531 with beautiful Nervex lugs. I inherited it 3 years ago, and have been riding it ever since. Although I don't have enough experience to compare it to carbon or titanium, I can say that I love this bike and can attest to its durability.

el Inglés said:
I don´t care wat it´s made of but I would like the frame builders to use the same material for long enough for us to learn if it´s got a fatigue problem or not , changing every six months is a nightmare for the consumer .
they dont want you to find out if there is a fatigue problem
they probably know but dont want the customers to find out cause that would cost them sales

I have a 79 Schwinn Continental (U.S. Steel)
I'm changeing the parts now hopeing to give it longer rideable life
frame is in good shape, no major rust except the end of the fork that the stem goes in and it's not real bad just stem stuck in it, al stem, but I will get it out one day :)

well as for steel being a good material i have a schwinn sprint road bike that was made in the mid 70's and i still ride it today and nothing wrong with it no rust or anything and im 17 and i got it from my ucle after he broke his leg and didnt wantt o ride anymore

I have always been a steel bike person, but I just got a new aluminium machine with carbon forks. Very nice. So much for that theory about you feel all the bumps. It is the same type of ride as my last bike as far as smoothness goes, but a much lighter bike. And aluminium does not rust.

I'd like to try carbon fibre or titanium one day. But for the moment aluminium is very impressive. I don't think I will be going back. But then I still enjoy riding my old steel number, knowing that after 20 odd years, it will still cop a hiding without complaint.

TechJD said:
they dont want you to find out if there is a fatigue problem
they probably know but dont want the customers to find out cause that would cost them sales

I have a 79 Schwinn Continental (U.S. Steel)
I'm changeing the parts now hopeing to give it longer rideable life
frame is in good shape, no major rust except the end of the fork that the stem goes in and it's not real bad just stem stuck in it, al stem, but I will get it out one day :)
TechJD, Just purely out of curiousity does your Continental have a chrome fork? I have fond memories of my brown late 70's Continental that was ripped off in the early 80's at college (all that I found was half of the padlock shackle hanging from the rack:( ) (and no I don't think that you stole it :rolleyes: ) Just a nostalgic recollection that it seemed like everyone else had Schwinn Collegiates and I could always pick my Continental out a half mile away from its glistening fork!!

titainum is probley teh best bet if money is not an issue it is strong and aloues a little flex but V. hard to bend depending on the gage and over all it is alot lighter!

i'm riding an 853 frame which i find good and light. apparently - according to the reynolds website - 853 is very similar to titanium weight and stifffness.

i would like to try aluminium, carbon and titanium bikes but at the mo i cannot afford more than 1 bike so i'm happy with my steel frame and chorus groupset.

i suppose the bike could be lighter- better wheels, pedals, seatpost, etc. but then i don't race and i think that getting used to riding on a certain bike a couple pounds overweight will show benefits when i eventually get around to buying something lighter.

serenaslu said:
TechJD, Just purely out of curiousity does your Continental have a chrome fork? I have fond memories of my brown late 70's Continental that was ripped off in the early 80's at college (all that I found was half of the padlock shackle hanging from the rack:( ) (and no I don't think that you stole it :rolleyes: ) Just a nostalgic recollection that it seemed like everyone else had Schwinn Collegiates and I could always pick my Continental out a half mile away from its glistening fork!!
Sorry for long time to replay :) hadnt looked that ths secion :)
chrome fork? = Yes

79conti.jpg

Personally, I have always ridden steel. No particular reason, just never had the cash to go for anything more expensive.

I have been cosidering going for an aluminium frame next to get a lighter bike. I currently ride a gios steel frame and would like to stick with gios.

When I look at their website, their steel frames weigh in at an average 1.8 to 1.85 kilos. Their aluminim frames 1.3 to 1.4kilos. At around 500 grams difference, this is little over 1 lb in weight difference.

Is this a typical weight differential? If so, I'm starting to wonder if it's actually worth the upgrade to save about 1lb in weight overall, when you consider the positive aspects of steel?

flyingdutch said:
checkout
http://www.xacd.com.cn/
Chinese Ti framebuilder (you would be amazed how many BIG names use these guys)
You can get a Ti custombuilt frame to your specs (not to mention a whole lotta other bits too) for $500Aus (plus freight. but hey, it wont weigh much!). Pretty economical and pretty good quality too if this guys' mtb is anything to go by...
http://www.fastload.net/north/bike.html

Who are these BIG names?

I have owned 3 race bikes. The first an early Cannondale (6000 series Alum), the second a '91 Pinarello Veneto (steel) and my most recent bike an '02 Pinarello Surprise (7005 Alum). I have a regular ride that I do periodically from the Boston Area to Cape Cod (96 miles). To date the fastest time I ever recorded was on my steel Pinarello, while my new bike was in the shop. I honestly believe that the comfort of the steel attributed to the speed. Steel just sings when you are dialed in and every little bump is just dampened enough which keeps your legs fresh on a five hour ride. I took the old Cannondale out for a 50 miler one day and I felt like I went 3 rounds with Mike Tyson (back when he was good!). The new Pinarello is 4 lbs lighter and admittingly is a better crit racer than the steel, but for long rides, nothing beats steel.
;)

Alnamvet said:
Scandium is an interesting metal...high melting point, yet softer than aluminum; not another form of alum like some think. Used in stadium lighting, and pretty expensive at about $80 USD per gram. Salsa Cycles biggest user of this material in some of their frames.
No, Scandium tubing is an aluminum alloy. Easton first put it to mass market use. It is lighter, but more brittle than other aluminum tubing in my experience.

Hi, this is my first post. I was drawn here looking for referrences on google for magnesium. Now I can't find the thread.

The poster asked about magnesium. Responses in general were fairly ignorant. No surprise there since there is little market penetration of magnesium frames.

A little about magnesium...nobody in the states seems to be making the frames. They are made in Russia, presumably by out of work aerospace technologists. Every hi-tech there is being privatized. Sold in the states by Paketa and myself (I'm researching the market with a mind to start a business :D ) and in the UK by Saracen. Magnesium is a remarkable material for frames: 94% mag and 6% proprietary alloy. Harvested from sea water(!!) and welded w/o lugs.

The frame has the tensile strength we like in steel, but memory that allows it to bend and return to original shape (unlike steel). It has great dampening characteristics like carbon, but isn't mushy when you lean hard on the pedals. Lighter than aluminum, but less fatigue prone. As for cost, less than you would imagine....

My 21" xc mtb weighed 3.4#s stripped. Built up with XT & XTR, Mavic & King, it handles like a small Ferrari, tossable and fast. At just over 23#s including Oriflame rubber, it's the easiest thing you'll ever push uphill and predictable on the way back down.

Sound ideal? Damn right! If I can put this bike on the market for 2-3 large would anybody take it for a test ride?

Hi, this is my first post. I was drawn here looking for referrences on google for magnesium. Now I can't find the thread.

The poster asked about magnesium. Responses in general were fairly ignorant. No surprise since there is little market penetration of magnesium frames.

A little about magnesium...nobody in the states seems to be making the frames. They are made in Russia, presumably by out of work aerospace technologists. Every hi-tech over there (again, read: aerospace) is being privatized. Sold in the states by Paketa and myself (I'm researching the market with a mind to start a business :D ) and in the UK by Saracen. Magnesium is a remarkable material for frames: 94% mag and 6% proprietary alloy. Harvested from sea water(!!) and welded w/o lugs.

The frame has the tensile strength we like in steel, but memory that allows it to bend and return to original shape (unlike steel). It has great dampening characteristics like carbon, but isn't mushy when you lean hard on the pedals. Lighter than aluminum, but less fatigue prone. As for cost, less than you would imagine....

My 21" xc mtb weighed 3.4#s stripped. Built up with XT & XTR, Mavic & King, it handles like a small Ferrari, tossable and fast. At just over 23#s including Oriflame rubber, it's the easiest thing you'll ever push uphill and predictable on the way back down.

Sound ideal? Damn right! If I can put this bike on the market for 2-3 large would anybody take it for a test ride?

Jon Cooper said:
Hi let me know your thoughts on the oldest (?) and best material....steel.

After Cougar Dedaccia steel frame & now Casati Geo in steel I am a big fan.

For the rough stuff difficult to beat a Rocky Mountain Equipe (steel frame) for a bouncy ride with loads of feedback.

What do you think?
Steal is Real!

polywog said:

The poster asked about magnesium. Responses in general were fairly ignorant. No surprise since there is little market penetration of magnesium frames.

A little about magnesium...nobody in the states seems to be making the frames. They are made in Russia, presumably by out of work aerospace technologists. Every hi-tech over there (again, read: aerospace) is being privatized. Sold in the states by Paketa and myself (I'm researching the market with a mind to start a business :D ) and in the UK by Saracen. Magnesium is a remarkable material for frames: 94% mag and 6% proprietary alloy. Harvested from sea water(!!) and welded w/o lugs.

I would.
I ask only that you find a way to clear coat the metal. Mg, IMHO, would look good that way.
Have you considered selling just frames? I ask because I'm about to buy a Ti frame from Titanium Sports. $899, curved and ovalized like a Merlin, no branding.

StarryMan said:
MB zipps rock! Tange Prestige... may it live forever. Remember Pinapple Bob?

Nicholas

I do. And I'm still riding my prestige MB1.

polywog said:
I could sell a frame only. $360
Dude,
If you can sell standard geometry for less than $750, with a cool name and a good non-cheesy look, you'll have a lot of people buy frames just to try out Mg. In fact, I might be into doing the marketing.

elrohwen said:
One of the chemical engineering professors at my school races bikes and owns a bike shop. I visited his shop the other day looking for a new road bike and I happened to ask him what he thinks about the difference between aluminum and steel. I'm partial to steel, but my preference isn't really based on tons of experience or anything valid ... I guess I just like the look of steel bikes. Anyway, he said that everything that you hear about aluminum being harsher than steel isn't true at all. He helped a student with a research project a few years ago where they built bike frames out of different materials (some aluminum, some steel, different types of steel, etc), painted them all the same, put the same components on them (same pressure in the wheels, same spoke tension, etc) and had some hardcore local bike riders test them out. The riders were sure that they could tell the difference in materials, but, in fact, they couldn't tell at all with any statistical significance. They were even given two bikes of the same material and one of a different material and they couldn't even pick which of the three was not like the other two.

With everything I've heard about the different materials, I think it's amazing that his scientific testing proved that most of a bike's ride isn't about the frame, but about all of the other minute little adjustments. It's so great to have a professor in my major who knows so much about bikes and was willing to spend so much time talking to me about them :)

---------------------------------------

"Train hard, win easy."
(found spray-painted near the top of the toughest hill I train on :) )
Hey elrohwen, I know I am replying to a really old post, but...

I assume you are talking about Glenn :)

I'm just curious about your signiture, which hill is it?

P.S. I started working for Cornell about 6 months ago, love Ithaca...