Is the age of 42 to late to ride pro

surfrider

Jul 9, 2007
I have never owned a road bike, only a mountain bike that I ride on the road only. However the resistance of the big tires has made me a really strong rider. The other day I borrowed my neighbors road bike. I went on a 40 mile bike with a local group of young guys that ride several times a week. I finished about 10 minutes ahead of the group. One of the guys came up to me and said "Buddy, I don't know what your taking, but its working" I'm almost certain that everyone on the website knows more about cycling than I will ever know. Is it unrealistic to think a guy my age could ride pro?

I'm going to say probably yeah - that's pretty unrealistic. Sure there are a few really gifted guys like Ned Overend who is in his 50's and can still whip the youngsters (and its not like he came to racing late in life either - he's had a long career), but in general the 30's are considered to be around the time you better have hit your prime by.... you don't see too many in their 40's still in the pro-peleton and they are at the end of their careers, not the start.

But still - there isn't any reason why you shouldn't give racing a try. Amateur racing can be lot of fun and there are masters categories that have a lot of very competitive riders in them. Masters is one of the fastest growing fields around here.

Yeah, I kinda thought so. I seem to have a strange ability to do things physically better than when I was younger. 1 month ago I ran my fastest mile ever. I ran a 5:15 my best time before that was 5:45 when I was 22. Endurance seems to be much better. For some reason my legs don't burn like they did when I was younger. Thanks for the reply. As I said, I don't really know much about cycling or equipment. However, I would like to compete in some way. Just wanted to get a reality check. Thanks.

I'm sorry, LOL, but I had to kinda laugh at this one...1 successful group ride and now you're wondering if you could go PRO??!! LOL...

How about entering an actual race (you be in Cat. 5 - the lowest category) and see how you do there. If you're not off the back at the first hill, I'd be surprised. However, if you stay with the pack in that race you've done very well for yourself - you're not still PRO material yet, but you've done well nonetheless...;)

I admit, it does sound a little ridiculous. I quess it was more of a general question as too the possibilities of a person in his 40's making it on a pro circut. I wasn't trying to imply that I was ready to turn pro because I made it through one group ride. I do have a lot of miles racked up from road racing my mountain bike. It was suggested by one of the group riders that I try some serious races. He races all over the country and said I could probably do well.

"I do have a lot of miles racked up from road racing my mountain bike. It was suggested by one of the group riders that I try some serious races. He races all over the country and said I could probably do well.[/QUOTE]
Holy smokes! You road raced your mountain bike? How did that go? I would imagine that if someone could even stay with the main field this way that they have tons of potential on a real road bike. I don't know about "pro" level, but it seems you might kick but at the masters level. Or cat 4 or even 3?

I could use a little education on cycling. You people on this forum probably forgot more about cycling, than I ever knew or will ever know. What is cat 3,4,5? and what is the Masters? I really want to get envolved in this cycling thing. My neighbor is on the pro tour but is allways traveling. Was hoping to drain him of some good info. but this probably won't happen anytime soon. Any info would be well absorbed and greatly appreciated.

In no way could I keep up with the main field road racing my mountain bike. I was able to beat a few guys that were on road bikes. I road race my mountain bike 1. because its the only bike I own. 2. I can't afford a good road bike yet. It has put me in great shape. I need to convince my wife that a high end road bike is far more important than new shoes! I'll keep you posted on how this pans out.

I read that the oldest rider in this year's TdF is 38.

Don't worry about this age thing. Just go out and do some racing and see how you fair in the amateur ranks. If you can be that good, then it sure won't take long for you or anybody to recognize your talent.

sogood said:
I read that the oldest rider in this year's TdF is 38.

Don't worry about this age thing. Just go out and do some racing and see how you fair in the amateur ranks. If you can be that good, then it sure won't take long for you or anybody to recognize your talent.
Thats good advice. I think thats what I will do. Any info on how to enter races? I'm sure they don't just let anyone ride in the sponsored events.

surfrider said:
Thats good advice. I think thats what I will do. Any info on how to enter races? I'm sure they don't just let anyone ride in the sponsored events.
Find a local racing club, join it and pick up a racing license from your cycling regulatory body. Then off you go.

Go window shopping. Try a whole lot of new bikes and get an idea from the shop owner of what size frame would suit you for the various manufacturers. Or you can check out Lennard Zinn’s custom frame size calculator on his site.

And then … hit eBay.

You can pick up some good high-end bikes there a couple of years old with little mileage for a significant discount to showroom sticker price. I’d stay with bikes no more than 2 years old.

Just make sure you don’t get caught up in bidding frenzy: sometimes people do pay silly prices and you don’t want to be one of them. So, for a purchase of this value, I’d recommend using a bid sniping service.

surfrider said:

local races usually don't have much in the way of requirements for beginner racers. You do have to be riding a standard road bicycle with drop handlebars and you'll need to at least purchase a 1 day license - usually available at the races for beginners, but to race cat 5 (that's the category for beginners) that's about all you have to do. I would suggest you get some experience riding in groups on your road bike when you get it, before you try a mass start race, but time trials (where each rider goes off one at a time and races against the clock) are pretty much safe even for complete newbies. Many areas have training races that are accompanied by beginners clinics. If you do start racing unattached (meaning you aren't a member of a racing club) do only wear a plain jersey and shorts. Few things looks sillier than showing up to your local race wearing some reproduction pro kit...

To find races in your area see if your state has a bicycle racing association - usually you'll find a web site with a calendar of races (check out Washington's at www.wsbaracing.com) You may be able to find your local association by searching www.usacycling.org - you'll also find a lot of information about racing there.

I'm guessing you are using the word race pretty loosely..... you mean that you've gone faster than some guys riding road bikes when you've been out at the same time? Perhaps you mean you've done an organized bike ride like a club century ride faster? You certainly wouldn't have been allowed to join an actual road race on a mountain bike.... Just be aware that a real race is very different, but you'll never know until you try.

Eden said:
local races usually don't have much in the way of requirements for beginner racers. You do have to be riding a standard road bicycle with drop handlebars and you'll need to at least purchase a 1 day license - usually available at the races for beginners, but to race cat 5 (that's the category for beginners) that's about all you have to do. I would suggest you get some experience riding in groups on your road bike when you get it, before you try a mass start race, but time trials (where each rider goes off one at a time and races against the clock) are pretty much safe even for complete newbies. Many areas have training races that are accompanied by beginners clinics. If you do start racing unattached (meaning you aren't a member of a racing club) do only wear a plain jersey and shorts. Few things looks sillier than showing up to your local race wearing some reproduction pro kit...

To find races in your area see if your state has a bicycle racing association - usually you'll find a web site with a calendar of races (check out Washington's at www.wsbaracing.com) You may be able to find your local association by searching www.usacycling.org - you'll also find a lot of information about racing there.

I'm guessing you are using the word race pretty loosely..... you mean that you've gone faster than some guys riding road bikes when you've been out at the same time? Perhaps you mean you've done an organized bike ride like a club century ride faster? You certainly wouldn't have been allowed to join an actual road race on a mountain bike.... Just be aware that a real race is very different, but you'll never know until you try.
This is how it went down. I own a building company and normally get home late. I come in grab my bike and do a 25 mile loop. I try to do this every day, but I also have two little kids I like to be with. Anyway, I passed this guy three days in a row riding his road bike. One day I saw the guy at the store and he says " You the guy on the mountain bike" I reply "Yeah" He replies " I ride in a club every Sat.and we are having a race this weekend, why don't you bring your bike and see how real riders ride" I'm a fairly calm person now that I'm a dad. But then again I don't really need some 20 year old disrespecting me. All I'm really trying to do is stay in shape so I can have many years of play time with my kids, I got started late in life with father hood. So, I reply " Do you think your group will mind". He says " Nope, Im sure they will get a good laugh. " Long story short. 40 guys there that saturday, 12 of them finished ahead of me and he wasn't one of them. This doesn't mean that I am a better rider, because Im not, he has riding experience with groups and manuevers and all that stuff. But I was determined to shut him up while at the same time teaching him that you don't need to be rude to people just because theyre trying to enjoy life while keeping in shape. So to answere your question, I am using racing in loose terms. Thanks for all the information and advise.

I figured it was something on those lines. It certainly sounds like if you got yourself a road bike you'd be a pretty strong rider (well I guess I should say you're already a pretty strong rider - on a road bike you'll be a faster strong rider) - the skinnier/slick wheels and lighter weight will make a pretty big difference to you. You certainly don't have to run out and get a $5000 carbon bike to start racing and do well either - any reasonably light, decent (not a wally bike in other words) road bike will start you out fine.

Don't let the youngsters get to you. It's not unusual for the older guys to be very strong - the masters (35+) fields around here often race faster and harder than their equivalent younger ones.

Just another thought given this forum has a special slant on power training. Why don't you go to one of the gyms and do a test on your Functional Threshold Power (FTP)? And based on the W/kg numbers, you should have an idea of where you stand in the scheme of things. Obviously, those numbers will improve when you get into proper training, but it's a reference and a baseline. There's also a table of W/kg vs Race Category out there somewhere that I can't locate right now. I am sure someone here knows the URL for it.

sogood said:
Just another thought given this forum has a special slant on power training. Why don't you go to one of the gyms and do a test on your Functional Threshold Power (FTP)? And based on the W/kg numbers, you should have an idea of where you stand in the scheme of things. Obviously, those numbers will improve when you get into proper training, but it's a reference and a baseline. There's also a table of W/kg vs Race Category out there somewhere that I can't locate right now. I am sure someone here knows the URL for it.
Do they have this at a regular gym, like Gold's gym etc.

surfrider said:
Do they have this at a regular gym, like Gold's gym etc.
No idea what's "Gold's gym". In any case, get on any exercise bike and play around with the power setting and see what kind of power you can maintain for an hour at a stretch. May not be super accurate but it'll get you into the ball park. If you are going off the scale, then you may well be in for a chance. ;)