Is the age of 42 to late to ride pro

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by surfrider, Jul 9, 2007.

1. surfrider

surfrider New Member

Sorry about that. I'm new at this computer forum thing. I keep assuming that everyone on here is in my State. Gold's gum is a giant chain of work out gym's. I believe they're all over the U.S. There are alot here in California. Plenty of exercise bikes. I will go in tomorrow and do what you suggested. Thank's for the info.

2. janiejones

janiejones New Member

I think you must have been away the day they taught TACT at school

3. surfrider

surfrider New Member

I think I'm going to give this racing thing a try. If anything I'll just end up in better shape. I allways have my good looks to fall back on.

4. maria007

maria007 New Member

I guess your as old as you feel, I ride along side some hard as nails oldies that drop the youngesters like they are nothing!

5. existence

existence New Member

+1 I come across various 'Vets' training during the day around Melb and some of them can seriously sit in the hurtbox.

6. johnnyspt

johnnyspt New Member

Riding strength or speed isn't really the issue, I'm sure you would do fine in races. The limiting factor will be much more about your riding efficiency in a pack, recovery from hard efforts, and leg spin smoothness. Technique sort of stuff.

7. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

My mistake, I'll use my kid gloves next time. I mistakenly figured a 42 year old could handle some humor and the truth in the same response. It appears I was wrong:eek: .

8. surfrider

surfrider New Member

Actually Tony. I am the 42 year old and I did enjoy the humor. That was someone else who replied about the tact thing. This is a blog and in my opinion this is the best place to find other peoples opinions on questions like the one I asked. Either way, I am still going to give this racing thing a try. If I don't succeed, no biggie. Either way, I will end up in even better shape while at the same time maybe I will one-up some youngster.

9. likes to ride

likes to ride New Member

I am 43 years old and have been riding on the road since I was 21. The very first thing you will realize is that it is a VERY humbling sport. I did not get into racing until I was in my early to mid thirties. It is a fun sport and also rewarding. Nothing beats the feeling and satisfaction of winning a race. Before you set your sights too high, get involved and be prepared to be humbled. Just remember to enjoy it. Good luck and keep us informed.

10. surfrider

surfrider New Member

Thats good information. I'm almost certain it will be a major humbling experience.

11. kennf

kennf New Member

Ah yes, memories. Nothing like getting dropped in your first crit. Or the second, or third.