Is the age of 42 to late to ride pro

sogood said:
No idea what's "Gold's gym". In any case, get on any exercise bike and play around with the power setting and see what kind of power you can maintain for an hour at a stretch. May not be super accurate but it'll get you into the ball park. If you are going off the scale, then you may well be in for a chance. ;)
Sorry about that. I'm new at this computer forum thing. I keep assuming that everyone on here is in my State. Gold's gum is a giant chain of work out gym's. I believe they're all over the U.S. There are alot here in California. Plenty of exercise bikes. I will go in tomorrow and do what you suggested. Thank's for the info.

tonyzackery said:
I'm sorry, LOL, but I had to kinda laugh at this one...1 successful group ride and now you're wondering if you could go PRO??!! LOL...

How about entering an actual race (you be in Cat. 5 - the lowest category) and see how you do there. If you're not off the back at the first hill, I'd be surprised. However, if you stay with the pack in that race you've done very well for yourself - you're not still PRO material yet, but you've done well nonetheless...;)
I think you must have been away the day they taught TACT at school

I think I'm going to give this racing thing a try. If anything I'll just end up in better shape. I allways have my good looks to fall back on.

I guess your as old as you feel, I ride along side some hard as nails oldies that drop the youngesters like they are nothing!

maria007 said:
I guess your as old as you feel, I ride along side some hard as nails oldies that drop the youngesters like they are nothing!
+1 I come across various 'Vets' training during the day around Melb and some of them can seriously sit in the hurtbox.

Riding strength or speed isn't really the issue, I'm sure you would do fine in races. The limiting factor will be much more about your riding efficiency in a pack, recovery from hard efforts, and leg spin smoothness. Technique sort of stuff.

janiejones said:
I think you must have been away the day they taught TACT at school
My mistake, I'll use my kid gloves next time. I mistakenly figured a 42 year old could handle some humor and the truth in the same response. It appears I was wrong:eek: .

tonyzackery said:
My mistake, I'll use my kid gloves next time. I mistakenly figured a 42 year old could handle some humor and the truth in the same response. It appears I was wrong:eek: .
Actually Tony. I am the 42 year old and I did enjoy the humor. That was someone else who replied about the tact thing. This is a blog and in my opinion this is the best place to find other peoples opinions on questions like the one I asked. Either way, I am still going to give this racing thing a try. If I don't succeed, no biggie. Either way, I will end up in even better shape while at the same time maybe I will one-up some youngster.

I am 43 years old and have been riding on the road since I was 21. The very first thing you will realize is that it is a VERY humbling sport. I did not get into racing until I was in my early to mid thirties. It is a fun sport and also rewarding. Nothing beats the feeling and satisfaction of winning a race. Before you set your sights too high, get involved and be prepared to be humbled. Just remember to enjoy it. Good luck and keep us informed.

likes to ride said:
I am 43 years old and have been riding on the road since I was 21. The very first thing you will realize is that it is a VERY humbling sport. I did not get into racing until I was in my early to mid thirties. It is a fun sport and also rewarding. Nothing beats the feeling and satisfaction of winning a race. Before you set your sights too high, get involved and be prepared to be humbled. Just remember to enjoy it. Good luck and keep us informed.
Thats good information. I'm almost certain it will be a major humbling experience.

likes to ride said:

Ah yes, memories. Nothing like getting dropped in your first crit. Or the second, or third.