Is the Atlantis really beefy enough for fully loaded touring?

nohocrispy

Feb 18, 2004
I would love to hear from someone who has actually done an extended, self-contained tour with front and rear panniers on an Atlantis.
I have to admit that I am totally smitten with the looks of the frame, and I like Grant's philosophy on geometry, but I have yet to see any photo of the Atlantis where it isn't gussied up in full retro regalia and missing the front rack. I understand the aesthetic going on there, but from a functional point of view, if they are marketing it as a touring bike then why, why ,why didn't they put a braze-on for a front rack on the fork?
Are the tubes/fork strong enough?
How did the bike handle under heavy loads?
If anyone has installed a low-rider rack on this bike, what did you use? and were you satisfied with the clamp approach?
Is this really a full-bore touring frame, or are the Rivendell folks too concerned about making it pretty?

I'm need a new bike to do the Northern Tier route this summer. Ironically, the reason I have the free time to do it is that I'm getting laid off. So that limits how much I can spend. Anything over $2500 total and I start to hyperventilate!
Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Originally posted by nohocrispy
I would love to hear from someone who has actually done an extended, self-contained tour with front and rear panniers on an Atlantis.
I have to admit that I am totally smitten with the looks of the frame, and I like Grant's philosophy on geometry, but I have yet to see any photo of the Atlantis where it isn't gussied up in full retro regalia and missing the front rack. I understand the aesthetic going on there, but from a functional point of view, if they are marketing it as a touring bike then why, why ,why didn't they put a braze-on for a front rack on the fork?
Are the tubes/fork strong enough?
How did the bike handle under heavy loads?
If anyone has installed a low-rider rack on this bike, what did you use? and were you satisfied with the clamp approach?
Is this really a full-bore touring frame, or are the Rivendell folks too concerned about making it pretty?

I'm need a new bike to do the Northern Tier route this summer. Ironically, the reason I have the free time to do it is that I'm getting laid off. So that limits how much I can spend. Anything over $2500 total and I start to hyperventilate!
Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Bruce Gordon BLT ( including Bruce Gordon racks) or Co-Motion Americano (if you can find one in your size and already marked down).
Visit their web sites.
They are sturdy, made to handle the full touring load, and have the eyelets to handle racks.
Read the reviews in Adventure Cycling magazine.
Waterford Adventure 1900 or T-14 would also be good, if you can find one in your price range.
Bruce Gordon racks and Tubus racks are tubular cro-mo steel. They are stronger and stiffer than aluminum racks. Since the load you carry is dead weight, you would like it to stay where you put it. Stiff racks and secure loads make riding much more stable.
You will want to consider the fork mouting ability when you get your bicycle. Tubus Tara is a great front rack, but the fork mount arrangement is specific to this unique rack.

Hey, I thought you looked familiar.
I, too, am planning a ride on the Northern Tier.
Also a devotee of Grant's philosophy since 'way back when.
Also considering an Atlantis, and had reservations.
However, I wrote the guys at Rivendell, and this is what they had to say.

Hey, Sterling,

Meticulously planning the budget for the big tour for 2006. Last night I read in an archive of Adventure Cycling's mag about the Atlantis being just fine for loaded touring. I said, no way. How is this possible that the bike I've always wanted is the one I need? Is this really accurate?
Couldn't find much on the web about others that have made long tours on the Atlantis.
If so, this would work for me in so many ways. I'm a dedicated commuter, throwing down 120 miles a week. I'm also in need of something bigger than the 62cm fenderless bikes I'm riding now. I'm no longer that heavy (190 lbs), just tall (6'3", 36 " inseam).
Atlantis comes bigger, stock... so I'd save from having to pay for a no-less-dubious custom. And it would fit my needs, should it survive my cross-country trip, or if I ever cared to ride my bike again after 4,000+ miles.
What do you say, boys? Tell me true.

Signed,

Intrigued.

Martin Edwards
Asheville, NC

Hi, Martin,

The Atlantis is an excellent bike for loaded touring. It’s pretty much the bike of choice when we go on our regular S24Os (Sub 24 hour Overnights). The bike handles very well when loaded down with racks and panniers. It’s rugged enough to go off-road (on relatively groomed fire trails), given the right tires. Gearing is low enough to accommodate hilly terrain, even with the bike loaded down.

Depending on your pubic bone height, you would probably ride a 64cm frame. To determine your pbh, visit our website at rivbike.com and find the section on determining your frame size. We do have the 64s in stock. It would then be a matter of having us or your local bike shop build up the bike.

Thanks for writing.
Sterling​

OK, so that isn't all of it. There was another email lost after this one. Grant doesn't dig fork braze-ons for one stated reason, and another that I totally made up. Sterling: perhaps limits strength of fork for off-road use and longetivity. Me: fork braze-ons give limited (and incorrect?) bperceptions to would-be buyers. Maybe an all-rounder doesn't look sporty with rack braze-ons.