Is the Belize "Easy Rider" a reliable commuter semi-bent?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Meditationman, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. Is the Belize "Easy Rider" a reliable commuter semi-bent?

    Just briefly tested the 6-speed, rear-suspension, scissoring-frame Belize Easy-Rider (labeled
    "Porta-Bike") on the frame which is confusing because there are 3 "Porta-Bike" models on their
    website, totally different. With the Easy-Rider, I didn't even feel the ruts or bumps on the rear
    wheel -- it was unreal! I am very interested in getting one, but I've never owned a (semi?)
    recumbent bicycle before; in short trials of a Bike-E and other bents, I wasn't so keen on the
    balancing aspect. I already own a MTB and a beach cruiser which I like and intend to keep. I would
    use the Belize semi-recumbent for semi-hilly commutes of 4-10 miles on sidestreets and back alleys.
    I am not a strong cyclist. My primary interest is in a very comfortable bike over rutty roads.

    My questions are as follows:

    (1) Anybody know if this is are realiable, road-worthy commuter?
    (2) What is its weight?
    (3) How different is this bike from the Worksman Bikes "Y3K Easy Glider"?
    (4) What are other bicycle makes/models that are also worth considering, for similar comfort.

    These are the relevant websites:

    http://www.aibq.com/belize/porta.html

    http://www.worksman.com/y3kwebpage2.htm

    Tags:

  2. Been trying to come up with a BENT that would fit what your needs are and drew a blank....except for
    the MAXARYA which has rear suspension and a front Headshock suspension, dual disc brakes and has a
    comfortable CLWB riding position. Am not sure how wide the tires are, but for rutty roads you'd need
    at least a 1.75 with lots of Kevlar.
    news:[email protected]...