Is the bike an improvement on God's design?

"ComandanteBanana" <[email protected]> wrote in message
On Jun 5, 1:34 pm, jp1138 <[email protected]> wrote:

> > And that's the reason why from then on the Black Sheep weren't allowed
> > to mingle anymore with the simple and common sheep...

> Don't want to be coldly rational but where can a wild lion catch and
> eat a sheep?
> Maybe a coughing lion escaped from the Glagow zoo can but this cannot
> have inspired God.

You sound too rational to read the Bible, but they lion and the sheep
dwell in a mythical place called...

Hicks’s Peaceable Kingdom

His symbols of the animals were joined to a quotation of Isaiah's
prophecy in the Bible (Isa. 11:6):

"The wolf shall also dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie
down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling
together; and a little child shall lead them."

Oddly, there was a special on Animal planet recently about a lioness that
was stealing Oryx calves. She'd "care for" them until they died of
starvation or some other lion came by and ate them. It was really
disgusting.

On 5 juin, 20:29, ComandanteBanana <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 5, 1:34 pm, jp1138 <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > And that's the reason why from then on the Black Sheep weren't allowed
> > > to mingle anymore with the simple and common sheep...

> > Don't want to be coldly rational but where can a wild lion catch and
> > eat a sheep?
> > Maybe a coughing lion escaped from the Glagow zoo can but this cannot
> > have inspired God.

> You sound too rational to read the Bible, but they lion and the sheep
> dwell in a mythical place called...

I am an European atheist and a ?cyclist?. I read genesis recently!
It's time for an update or total destruction of all heretic writings,
thoughts, ... :)

> Hicks’s Peaceable Kingdom
>
> His symbols of the animals were joined to a quotation of Isaiah's
> prophecy in the Bible (Isa. 11:6):
>
> "The wolf shall also dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie
> down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling
> together; and a little child shall lead them."

Sounds like the sixties when everybody was sleeping with everybody :)

> 'The Peaceable Kingdom' paintings portray a delicate balance of
> difficult and unresolved issues. The lion-ego poses the greatest
> threat. The wild animals are seemingly domesticated and brought into
> line with loving kindness. However, their expression of pop-eyed
> puzzlement is not lost on any viewer. For the moment, they are
> behaving themselves, eating bovine food and not the little lambs.
>
> http://www2.gol.com/users/quakers/Hicks_Peaceable_Kingdom.htm

Nice pictures,

Sholl

On Jun 5, 4:47 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On 2 jun, 21:36, ComandanteBanana <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > (the original subject here is God made the banana to fit in one's
> > hand)

> > :)

> > > You really don't want to know what i misread that as...

> > OK, let's change the subject... ;)

> > I think the bike is an improvement on God's design. Before man
> > depended on the beasts to get around. Even Jesus rode a donkey.
> > Imagine what Jesus would have done if he had a bike!

> > Which proves that mankind can better itself without help from above.

> > BIKE FOR PEACEhttp://webspawner.com/users/bikeforpeace

> No no: read this:
>
> http://www.phys.uri.edu/~tony/bicycle/bikehist.html
>
> "evolution"!
>
> Got it? :)- Hide quoted text -

Got it, it almost sounds like r-evolution!

I just took spin now in the greatest piece of technology human
ingenuity has created...

http://www.hummerguy.net/wp-content/2007VictoryRedHummerH2_4copy.jpg

Nah, just testing your attention. That's a product of human stupidity.

This is what I rode...

http://www.dahon.com/us/curved3.htm

It was a blast on packed sand. Four miles of fun, and catching a lot
of glances. And I'm 6'1", 210lbs...

High tech, 3 speed internal gear, comfortable, even sexy!

Does anyone have an idea why you need a Hummer, other than to show
you've got money to burn?

On Jun 5, 5:23 pm, jp1138 <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Don't want to be coldly rational but where can a wild lion catch and
> > > eat a sheep?
> > > Maybe a coughing lion escaped from the Glagow zoo can but this cannot
> > > have inspired God.

> > You sound too rational to read the Bible, but they lion and the sheep
> > dwell in a mythical place called...

> I am an European atheist and a ?cyclist?. I read genesis recently!
> It's time for an update or total destruction of all heretic writings,
> thoughts, ... :)

Then I wouldn't have a clue why you are reading the Genesis, other
than building up your endurance for the Tour de France!

Or you do it for fun? (I mean the riding)

> > Hicks’s Peaceable Kingdom

> > His symbols of the animals were joined to a quotation of Isaiah's
> > prophecy in the Bible (Isa. 11:6):

> > "The wolf shall also dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie
> > down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling
> > together; and a little child shall lead them."

> Sounds like the sixties when everybody was sleeping with everybody :)

According to the logic of a vegetarian lion, he should be able to eat
banana too. That would be a test for the Banana Revolution. ;)

> > 'The Peaceable Kingdom' paintings portray a delicate balance of
> > difficult and unresolved issues. The lion-ego poses the greatest
> > threat. The wild animals are seemingly domesticated and brought into
> > line with loving kindness. However, their expression of pop-eyed
> > puzzlement is not lost on any viewer. For the moment, they are
> > behaving themselves, eating bovine food and not the little lambs.

> >http://www2.gol.com/users/quakers/Hicks_Peaceable_Kingdom.htm

> Nice pictures,
>
> Sholl

Yeah, they are cute. But notice that the little animals are quite
relaxed before the lion. Never trust the beast!

"The lion was quick-tempered and willful."

On Jun 5, 8:06 am, ComandanteBanana <[email protected]> wrote:

> Gorillas scare me, particularly after King Kong.

Private Banana, you were demoted for your lack of vigilance.

You are not a comandante. Comandantes lead people.
NOBODY follows your lead.

On 3 Jun, 22:39, Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>  "Jack May" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Kangaroos are produced by evolution.  That is why they are so
> > efficient over natural ground.   Bikes are mainly designed for smooth
> > man made surfaces like roads and pedways.

> That's where bikes are very efficient, but as you say less so on natural
> terrains or, for that matter, even on the typical deteriorating roadways
> that 28 years of devotion to tax cutting above all else has left us
> with.
>
> But are they more or less efficient than kangaroos?  These things are
> usually considered in calories per mile or kilometer, and I've never
> seen estimated for kangaroos.  Pedestrians, horses, dog, cars, etc. I
> have seen estimates for but not kangaroos.  Come to think of it, all the
> estimates I have seen for bikes have been on pavement, I've never seen
> one for bike off-road.- Hide quoted text -

According to a compendium of research from various sources published
in Scientific American (March 1973), a human riding a bicycle on a
firm and reasonably level surface, outperforms every other creature in
terms of energy per unit bodyweight over a given distance, by a
substantial margin. I don't have the original article to hand or
recall whether kangaroos were included, but some of this data is
reproduced in Bicycling Science (D G Wilson, MIT Press 2004),
including that for leaping rabbits. Kangaroos have a similar mode of
locomotion and surely do it more efficiently, being larger, but
leaping rabbits score so badly that it seems unlikely the kangaroos
would beat horses, never mind humans on bikes - on pavement.

Soft and irregular surfaces are, of course, a totally different
matter. Here a wheel becomes inefficient compared to walking, in which
the legs act like the spokes of a rimless wheel.

On a firm and flat surface, the energy requirements of adjusting the
lengths of these "spokes" in order to walk without excessive jolting,
which also has an energy cost, render legs less efficient than wheels.
On a soft surface however, compression of the surface becomes a major
energy cost and whereas feet only compress small patches of surface, a
wheel compresses a continuous track. As anyone who has ridden a
mountain-bike in sand will know, there comes a point where it is less
fatiquing, AND faster, to walk and push. And on irregular surfaces the
adjustable-length spokes, that are legs, really come into their own,
isolating the visco-elasitc mass of the human body from energy sapping
bump losses to a level that no wheel can match - even with the biggest
tyres and most sophisitcated suspension!

However: if a few humans invest some energy in smoothing a path, then
a large number of humans can save a great deal more energy in
bicycling along it. That facility for cooperation and invention is
what makes us more efficient travellers than animals.

On Jun 6, 3:42 am, GeneralissimoApeshit <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Jun 5, 8:06 am, ComandanteBanana <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Gorillas scare me, particularly after King Kong.

> Private Banana, you were demoted for your lack of vigilance.
>
> You are not a comandante. Comandantes lead people.
> NOBODY follows your lead.

The revolutions that follow a comandante are found in Cuba and
Venezuela. Here we've got a Democratic revolution, where we don't need
a gorilla. All we need is a good political program...

COMING OUT OF THE JUNGLE
http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote1

Well, we also need him!

http://www.lovesanimals.com/images/animals/monkey/funny_monkey.jpg

Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson

"Is this a Ron Paul thread?"

This is NOT a Paid Political Advertising.

Is he for the lion or the monkey?

He's a Libertarian, and they are for the Law of the Jungle. I'm left
libertarian, where Gandhi or Martin Luther King would be. I think
along these lines....

"Communism forgets that life is individual. Capitalism forgets that
life is social, and the kingdom of brotherhood is found neither in the
thesis of communism nor the antithesis of capitalism but in a higher
synthesis. It is found in a higher synthesis that combines the truths
of both." -M.L. King

If Jesus and Christians were smart (something we've got to determine)
they would be riding things like this...

http://www.strida.us/

This is NOT a paid advertising, but it looks SIMPLE, and COOL, MORALLY
RIGHT.

And they are for the revolution. Has anyone tried them?

On Jun 7, 2:30 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Well, as long as she has no license she lets me do the driving.
> Bur we found out there is a donwside of not being in a Hummer.
> Someone might overlook your car and bump into it while changing lanes.
> Which happened to me. As a result the dirverside mirror broke off, the
> police wouldn't allow me to continue and now I temporarily drive a
> lower modelhttp://www.rijtesten.nl/test/206/0/0/volkswagen_polo_14_tdi_bluemotio...
> and Kesinee (1m45) managed to bump her head!

Most people in America would be simply go for a larger vehicle, much
larger...

This is heard by my girlfriend at work: "My next vehicle will be
something like an SUV, so I can be safe." They never go, "Gee, it's
time to make our roads safer." That would be way too smart for a
Christian nation.

On Jun 8, 10:52 am, Checkers <[email protected]> wrote:

http://www.strida.us/home-page.asp

> chx
> if you are sane, you will ban that stupid vehicle. people will die
> like flies here if they use it in our streets. they will fall with
> every pothole and if they swerve for a pothole a taxi will whipe them
> out anyway - gee, do you hate me so much to suggest i ride that thing.

I just saw the triangle shape, and made me think of the Holy Trinity.
Very much unlike the Stupid Unholy Vehicles. ;)

But this other bike I would guarantee you works on all kinds of
terrain...

http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/2007/09/dahon-curve-d3.html

I know because I own one, and put it through sand and everything. I'm
sure Jesus would have ridden one too!