Is the cervelo soloist Critable?

azdroptop

May 25, 2005
What are your thoughts? Definately a good road bike and a decent TT bike, but what about crits?

azdroptop said:
What are your thoughts? Definately a good road bike and a decent TT bike, but what about crits?
They're plenty stiff, and pretty light for an aluminum bike... seems like if you set it up with a good set of wheels it'd work out alright. If you're looking at the Soloist Carbon, I would think that the R3 would be a better crit bike, since it's both stiffer and lighter. I can tell you that the power transfer is better on my R3 than any other bike I've ridden. Cheaper than the soloist carbon, too.

Definitely a good crit bike al or carbon, you could be riding MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper and still not notice the difference however :p . Excellent roady and Excellent TT bike aswell, sorry I couldn't give you a reason to justify another bike :( :cool: .My 2 cents is invest in some grippy tyres for crits, veloflex pave's, corsa, mich pro grip. Confidence in crits far outweighs any weight/aero/stiffness factor in a crit, not there is ANYTHING wrong with a cervelo soloist :D :p .

Thanks guys. I'm looking at it for a couple of reasons. At 1200 for the frame(Alum) and fork it's pretty cheap, 2. I like the seat post flip for TT's, and 3. I hear they are very responsive and good on a climb. My current Lemond Carbon/Steel set up is way comfortable, but not a speed demon.

I am also looking hard at a TCR comp frame for around 1,000 us.

azdroptop said:
I am also looking hard at a TCR comp frame for around 1,000 us.

dm69 brings up a good point; the soloist is probably the most versatile frame on the market, in that it can be built up into just about any kind of bike you like. I'd take it over an aluminum Giant without hesitation.

tetsuryuu said:
dm69 brings up a good point; the soloist is probably the most versatile frame on the market, in that it can be built up into just about any kind of bike you like. I'd take it over an aluminum Giant without hesitation.
The giant is a full carbon TCR. :)

I've raced both my AL Soloist Team (51cm) and my (52cm) Kestrel Talon. My Kestrel Talon feels more comfortable geometry & fit wise, but I've had a higher top speed on the Cervelo. The Kestrel Talon is a good choice for an aero carbon bike and the frame and fork set cost me only $1125. The aerodynamics of the Kestrel isn't as good as the Cervelo, but it's carbon fiber. I ride my Kestrel more than my Cervelo (because it has Flightdeck and a power meter). Built up my Dura Ace 9 Cervelo is lighter than my Ultegra 9 Kestrel.

JTE83 said:
I've raced both my AL Soloist Team (51cm) and my (52cm) Kestrel Talon. My Kestrel Talon feels more comfortable geometry & fit wise, but I've had a higher top speed on the Cervelo. The Kestrel Talon is a good choice for an aero carbon bike and the frame and fork set cost me only $1125. The aerodynamics of the Kestrel isn't as good as the Cervelo, but it's carbon fiber. I ride my Kestrel more than my Cervelo (because it has Flightdeck and a power meter). Built up my Dura Ace 9 Cervelo is lighter than my Ultegra 9 Kestrel.
JTE83, can you tell me if your front derailer is a braze on or clamp on? Thanks for all your input! I ordered a 54cm Soloist Team yesterday. Let the build up begin. :)

Rick

azdroptop said:
The giant is a full carbon TCR. :)
thats probably a bad thing...giant = flex, flex= bad.
Seriously there are better options than the giant tcr comp!

for your price range you should be looking at specialized allez with ultegra parts or cannondale r800 with 105/ultegra. Dont know about the cervelo personally but they are a race bike and very versatile... look for ultegra or 105 at your price range.

I myself am looking at a bike for 2500-3000 aussie dollars...1000-1200 brittish pounds, i think?

It seems for an all round bike at this price cannondale r800 cant be beat but I am definitely going to be studying up on this al soloist...looks like it will fit my needs perfectly.

dm69 said:
thats probably a bad thing...giant = flex, flex= bad.
Seriously there are better options than the giant tcr comp!

for your price range you should be looking at specialized allez with ultegra parts or cannondale r800 with 105/ultegra. Dont know about the cervelo personally but they are a race bike and very versatile... look for ultegra or 105 at your price range.

I myself am looking at a bike for 2500-3000 aussie dollars...1000-1200 brittish pounds, i think?

It seems for an all round bike at this price cannondale r800 cant be beat but I am definitely going to be studying up on this al soloist...looks like it will fit my needs perfectly.
I bought the soloist and plan to put on Campy Record Carbon! Can't wait.

azdroptop said:
I bought the soloist and plan to put on Campy Record Carbon! Can't wait.
OMG that will look good! cervelo and campagnolo should go together I reckon. What handlebars, stem and seatpost?

dm69 said:
OMG that will look good! cervelo and campagnolo should go together I reckon. What handlebars, stem and seatpost?
I am open to suggestions there. I am thinking a non-carbon bar because I want to use Clip on Aero bars at the TT's. Seatpost most likely will be the Cervelo 'flipable' one to make life easier. I believe to get the 76.5 degree seat angle for TT's I think I have to use theirs?

I have been looking at Carbon Campy stuff and man is it beautiful! Looks like a full groupo for just under 1500 U.S. :)

I'm open for wheel suggestions too. Say 300 to 600 U.S. :cool:

azdroptop said:
JTE83, can you tell me if your front derailer is a braze on or clamp on? Thanks for all your input! I ordered a 54cm Soloist Team yesterday. Let the build up begin. :)

Rick

Mt frt der. is braze on for both the Cervelo and Kestrel. Both also have the FSA Superlight crank and problems with getting an immediate shift from the 39 to 53 chainring. I guess those FSA chainrings are bad.

You can use CF kestrel EMS handlebars with clipons.

JTE83 said:
Mt frt der. is braze on for both the Cervelo and Kestrel. Both also have the FSA Superlight crank and problems with getting an immediate shift from the 39 to 53 chainring. I guess those FSA chainrings are bad.

You can use CF kestrel EMS handlebars with clipons.
Cool. Thanks for the heads up on the CF bars.

azdroptop said:
I am open to suggestions there. I am thinking a non-carbon bar because I want to use Clip on Aero bars at the TT's. Seatpost most likely will be the Cervelo 'flipable' one to make life easier. I believe to get the 76.5 degree seat angle for TT's I think I have to use theirs?

I have been looking at Carbon Campy stuff and man is it beautiful! Looks like a full groupo for just under 1500 U.S. :)

I'm open for wheel suggestions too. Say 300 to 600 U.S. :cool:
Handlebars- Easton EA70, stem EA70 both in the 31.8mm oversized version.

I am with you on the seatpost but you could go the EA70 post aswell which would look good?

Definitely go aluminium bars and stem, so much more practical! Lighter, stronger, cheaper and you dont have to replace them when you crash. I got nothing against carbon frames and forks but cranks, stems, seatposts, handlebars and wheels should be left to aluminium. Simply because these parts will hit the deck if you are gonna have a fall!