Is the circus stigma true?

Sockmonster

------------
A poll associated with this post was created, to vote and
see the results, please visit
http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/29657
------------
Question: Are you a juggler as well as a unicyclist?

- Why, yes, yes I am!
- No way! Uni through and through!
- I can juggle, but I haven't in years...
------------

Most anyone who has never ridden a unicycle before see's our
kind as clowns. We've all heard it...

"So, are you, like, going to join the circus, or something?
Seems kind of dumb if you ask me..."

So, I was curious. How many unicyclist in this forum are
also jugglers? I know there are a bunch of trialers and
MUniers, which is very different from classical unicycling,
but does the apple fall far from the tree?

--
sockmonster

Funny how in this forum, no one thinks it's weird if someone says, "I
tacoed my giraffe..."
sockmonster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4286

I can juggle, but I am better at unicycling. My brother is
the opposite, and can unicycle but is better at juggling.
Neither of us are clowns, and we both do what we do
because it is fun, and it involves both body and mind
coordination. I'm going to the NZ Juggling festival where
there will hopefully be lots of unicyclists/jugglers. I
hate it when people ask me if I'm going to join the
circus. I'm not that talented!

--
Rowan - Another Unicyclist
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:18:59 -0600, sockmonster
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Question: Are you a juggler as well as a unicyclist?
I don't juggle. My daughter juggles as well as rides
unicycles. In fact her (and my!) interest in unicycles stems
from her circus fascination.

I haven't bothered to go online and vote. Let alone twice,
if that even would be possible.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
Today (31 December) is the last day this year. Happy Old
Year!

I am a better juggler than a unicycler. I learned how to
juggle first, which was a couple of years ago. I always
figured I was too uncoordinated to juggle. I did have access
to a uni for a week in college, and I was able to ride down
the street, but my body had forgotten all that.

I enjoy juggling on a uni for exercise. I can do 3 clubs
pretty easily on the uni. A group of us pass clubs during
lunchtime at work, and that's how I learned juggling and
unicycling, and slack rope walking. I have surpassed the
others on the uni, but not in juggling, so this newsgroup is
my encouragement to do more on the uni. I'm now trying to
idle on the uni, and have made it to as many as 10 cycles.

I do performances sometimes. I hope to encourage others to
do things that they never thought they could do. I also, use
the performance to tell people about what God has taught me
through juggling. God has a plan for everyone, and he will
give you the ability to do his plan.

-Mike McDermott

"sockmonster"
<[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]
.Unicyclist.com...

> --------------
> A poll associated with this post was created, to vote and
> see the results, please visit
> http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/29657
> --------------
> Question: Are you a juggler as well as a unicyclist?
>
> - Why, yes, yes I am!
> - No way! Uni through and through!
> - I can juggle, but I haven't in years...
> --------------
>
> Most anyone who has never ridden a unicycle before see's
> our kind as clowns. We've all heard it...
>
> "So, are you, like, going to join the circus, or
> something? Seems kind of dumb if you ask me..."
>
> So, I was curious. How many unicyclist in this forum are
> also jugglers? I know there are a bunch of trialers and
> MUniers, which is very different from classical
> unicycling, but does the apple fall far from the tree?
>

> --
> sockmonster
>
> Funny how in this forum, no one thinks it's weird if
> someone says, "I tacoed my giraffe..."
> --------------
> sockmonster's Profile:
> http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4286 View this thread:
> http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/29657

Once again the poll didnt work for me but yes, Yes I can
juggle. I didnt learn because I wanted to join the circus
just because I was bored one day, and its another thing I
could cross off my list of things to do.

Brian-

--
uniextreme - Funkadelic Unicyclist
uniextreme's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4708

Once again the poll didnt work for me but yes, Yes I can
juggle. I didnt learn because I wanted to join the circus
just because I was bored one day, and its another thing I
could cross off my list of things to do.

Brian-

--
uniextreme - Funkadelic Unicyclist
uniextreme's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4708

I'm probably gonna get yelled at for this, but I feel that
unicycling is a sport, whereas juggling is not. Maybe it is,
but not in my feeble mind. I am a unicyclist, not an
entertainer.

--
TheObieOne3226 - Extreme Halfb*ker

Grabbin your butt? That's not very lady-like!

My chocolates! Come back chocolates! I didn't mean what I said.

TheObieOne3226 wrote:
> *I'm probably gonna get yelled at for this, but I feel
> that unicycling is a sport, whereas juggling is not. Maybe
> it is, but not in my feeble mind. I am a unicyclist, not
> an entertainer. *

Consider yourself YELLED AT! Juggling is definitely a sport!

I am a unicyclist, not an entertainer. I am a juggler, not
an entertainer.

(Actually I entertain friends on occasion, but I'm a much
much much better at unicycling and at juggling than I am
entertaining).

(Wish I were as good a unicyclist as I am a juggler).

--
duaner - -

duaner.
duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297

..It has started with the son of circus director Ding Dong(in
"communistic" Poland).entering our class (9-th year=gimnasium).
Gus was his name(probbably Gustaw).He had long heir - not permitted to
any student(he protected them saing he needs it for the stage
performance) and he was clowning and juggling with the chock the moment
a theacher turned his or her beck while interrogating him by the black
board.On the top of it being young paid performer he behaved as the
"growned up" did = he had an air of independence.
It did not last long and he was gone but we have all got involved with
the life of the circus and for a while there was a sense of FREEDOM in
the air in this constantly tense and depressed atmosfere of
"communism".
For quite a while I did attempt juggling with 3 objects.I was not good
at it but the seed of love of circus was planted in me and it has grown
since.
The above points to me, somehow, while I become unicyclists.
Better later then never.:D :D :D

--
Uniwitold

Veni !Vidi !Mount !
Uniwitold's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2181

"TheObieOne3226" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'm probably gonna get yelled at for this, but I feel that
> unicycling is a sport, whereas juggling is not. Maybe it
> is, but not in my feeble mind. I am a unicyclist, not an
> entertainer.

OK I'll yell, but very quietly. I think neither juggling nor
unicycling is a sport, both are hobbies/ pastimes. Add the
element of competition such as does unicycle hockey and you
then have a sport.

Following this I looked up "sport" and the first definition
that came out was: sport: an active diversion requiring
physical exertion and competition

So jogging or running in the park would not be sports
either....but add a track and other runners...

Naomi

"Sofa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Sport: 'Physical activity that is governed by a set of
> rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.'
>
> While learning to juggle, I couldn't help but notice how
> much my heart rate increased.
>
> I think anyone who juggles with knives or chainsaws
> would argue about how extreme riding a unicycle in dirt
> really is

Not necessarily, I feel far safer juggling knives .
Chainsaws? I never met anyone who actually does this.

Naomi

Juggling is indeed exercise. The clubs we use are 8 oz.
Juggling 1 item takes about 1/2 second, so you are lifting a
lb/second. I do passing w/ others for
1/2 hour a day, which is 30*60 = 1800 seconds. Our duty
cycle is about 80%, due to drops, so every day at lunch we
lift about 1400 lbs.

I've noticed my arms are stronger, and my basketball skills
have improved.

"KathySusanka"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message news:[email protected]
ster.at.Unicyclist.com...

> One day while unicycling around the block with my son, I
> passed by a shop window and caught a glimpse of myself
> riding. I noticed that my hands were doing nothing, I
> didn't seem to need them anymore for balance. I could do
> something else while riding, I thought. Maybe I can juggle
> too (or eat). I joined a local juggling club and met the
> nicest bunch of people who taught me how to juggle.
> Putting the unicycle and the juggling together was harder
> than I thought but I finally can do it.
>

> Juggling is definitely exercise. All that bending and arm
> movement is wonderful for your heart and it can also be
> very competitive to learn new tricks with others.
>
> We also get the join the circus comments. I have no desire
> to join the circus, I have too much stage fright for that.
> I'm usually disappointed in what I see of juggling and
> unicycling at the circus. I have often thought, I have
> friends (and kids) who can do better that that. To be
> fair, I have seen some impressive stuff on occasion.
>
> A really good way to ******** my daughter (who also
> unicycles and juggles) is to suggest that she go to Clown
> College. That comment usually results some stomping off
> and door slamming.
>

> --
> KathySusanka - Can I make this thing go Backwards?
>
> Rock is Dead! Long live Paper and Sissors!
> --------------
> KathySusanka's Profile:
> http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4309 View this thread:
> http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/29657

I'm a Klown guys, I don't mean your ordinary circus clown
(note spelling difference) I mean I'm an Xtreme kinda guy.
I'm out there to take unicycling just alittle bit further
than others have thought of. I juggle and unicycle and I
don't intend to join the circus, Infact I don't have much
love for the circus at all. IN MY OPINION juggling is somit
people do to pass the time. Unicycling is an Xtreme sport
which has no bounderies. How you guys can compare the two I
don't know, but I don't know alot of things

--
KlownLife
KlownLife's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5196

Sport: 'Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules
or customs and often engaged in competitively.'

While learning to juggle, I couldn't help but notice how
much my heart rate increased.

I think anyone who juggles with knives or chainsaws would
argue about how extreme riding a unicycle in dirt really is

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/unicycleReviews.aspx)

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
version 3.0

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

[...]

I picked the third option, not so much because I haven't
juggled in years, but because I juggle so infrequently. It's
difficult for me to collect items appropriate for juggling.
I prefer doing a cascade of a one ton block of blue polar
ice, a live hyena, and a BMW Mini filled with coeds taking
inane snaps with their cell-phone-cameras. Assembling a trio
like that takes an inordinate amount of time.

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"I hope to be a 90 year old guy who rides his unicycle to the store for
whiskey and condoms." -J.D. Miller

"Old people give me money, because I deliver their paper!" -
James_Potter

"Who needs fancy words and poetic prose to describe a ride when you have
photos?"- JC

Ya know, it's been a while since we've had a Juggling Poll ('are you a
juggler?' (http://tinyurl.com/2qk4s) & 'Attention Unicyclists, I was
Wondering...' (http://tinyurl.com/2cxnb)):D

I can juggle three balls, rings, or scarves. Clubs still
master me more than I master them.

How come juggling doesn't suffer the same Circus Stigma as
unicycling?

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve DeKoekkoek - I've got a one track mind.
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

I started juggling over ten years ago and got quite good,
mainly working on developing a lot of intricate three ball
tricks and combinations.

Also did diablo, devil sticks, double devil sticks, club
passing, contact and learnt to unicycle.

My unicycling was infrequent and indoors and only took off a
couple of years ago when I started ridng outdoors and got in
to muni type stuff.

It's annoying that peole associate unicycling mainly with
circus/performance/entertainment, but I feel it's also
important to not make the same mistake with juggling.

To me the juggling stuff was something I did mainly for the
skill development aspects, also to meet similar people; the
association with entertainment I found a little tiring.

I know a few people who took their juggling skills into a
performance career, and generally they feel their love of
the art suffered as a result- most performances consist of
audience engagement with the juggling being a mere tool i.e.
simple tricks done in a silly manner.

Just prior to getting into muni I also started poi spinning
which pretty much replaced the juggling stuff because the
skills involved much more whole body movement and it is a
more introspective art than juggling.

i.e. when you see a good fire poi spinner doing a
performance the feeling is that they are doing
the moves for their own sake, whereas for
juggling to be appealing to an audience it's
necessary for the performer to constantly be
interacting with the audience.

I do, and have performed, usually fire poi/spinning, but I
prefer running workshops because, for me, the true value
of these skills is not their performance aspects, but the
fact they are accessible and valuable (they have been for
me anyway).

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874