Is the circus stigma true?

Just a short little film. 20 minutes long. I can ride fairly
well, going on level 5, mostly just street. My brother is
half decent on trials stuff.

That's what I have to work with. I want it to be as much an
actual story as possible, rather than a documentary, or "a
day in the life of a unicyclist"

Although, that would be kind of cool...

--
sockmonster - Level 4

Funny how in this forum, no one thinks it's weird if someone says, "I
tacoed my giraffe..."
sockmonster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4286

sockmonster wrote:
> *It all comes down to exposure. If there were more of us
> out there, in public, being seen and recognized, then the
> circus stigma would certainly be diminished. Rather than
> "Are you a clown or something?" we might be hearing "Where
> can I get one of those things?"*
I think this is true. I have met scores of Unicyclists in
New Plymouth, most of whom have a Unicycle tucked away in
their garage or cupboard, and are hardly ever seen riding.
I see heaps of people who tell me I am the only one they
see out riding. If the only place people see Unicycles is
in a circus, it is obvious that the circus is the first
thing they will associate with one wheelers. When people
ask "Where can I get one?" I say "Unicycle.com". I should
get a commission for all the Unicycles sold that were
referred by me.

--
Rowan - Useless Unicyclist
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

sockmonster wrote:
> *How many unicyclist in this forum are also jugglers?*
I object to the association of the subject line of this
thread with the above question. If we can juggle does that
somehow associate us more closely with the circus? The vast
majority of people in the world who either juggle or
unicycle (or both) do it for fun and recreation. They are
great activities, and should be included in more physical
education programs.

They are also both sports. Don't be so stiff with your
definitions, folks. If fishing is a sport, so are juggling
and unicycling (and nose picking, if you ask me). My own
simple definition for this is that if you compete at it, and
if it involves physical exertion, it can be a sport. We
would do it even if it wasn't a sport, but some of us like
to race or otherwise compete.

I learned to juggle a year or so after learning to ride a
unicycle. I learned because I new my hands were available to
do other "hard" stuff while I was riding. People who like
one of these activities are often attracted by the other
because they are both hard. We like challenges.

I don't consider myself "a juggler." I can juggle. I used to
teach juggling for a living. I use juggling on stage in
professional shows. But to label me a juggler would be an
insult to other jugglers. I'm an entertainer, and I'm a
unicyclist. Juggling is a side thing for me.

I think the circus stigma exists more for unicyclists than
jugglers. Juggling is more recognized as a recreational
activity. This is probably because props are cheaper and
easier to come by, you can practice just about anywhere, and
it's easier to learn.

Easier to learn? Hell yes. Ask any educator who teaches
both. ANY. Does this mean juggling is easier? Not to me. I
think the extremes of juggling are "harder" than the
extremes of unicycling. The number of people who have
flashed or juggled 10 or more objects is extremely small.
And you have to pick all that stuff up!

But we're talking about apples and oranges there, and I
don't want to start a big debate. The fact is, the barrier
to entry in juggling is much lower than in unicycling. I
can teach most adults the basic pattern in about 15
minutes. To reach a similar level with a unicycle usually
takes way over an hour.

Sometimes when people ask if you're in the circus, they
really are just asking. But usually they're just being
annoying. Take it any way you want. Depending on the tone of
the asker, I will sometimes respond "No, are you?"

But I used to be.

In the early 80s I wanted to make unicycling my life. Even
today, if Kris Holm wanted to make his living riding
unicycles, he would probably have to become a performer. I
wanted to be a performer, and travel the world riding my
unicycle. This meant a close association with the circus,
even if I was seldom or never in an actual one.

Sidebar: A circus ring is actually not a very friendly
environment for unicycles. In traditional circuses, if you
do a cycling act you usually have to bring your own floor
along. Today's circuses are set up on dirt, grass, parking
lots, and concrete arena floors. If you're on a stage,
you're getting away from what most people (Americans anyway)
think of as "real" circus.

I worked for the National Circus Project
(www.nationalcircusproject.com) for about 5 years fulltime,
plus several years part time. I traveled around the
Northeastern US, and on several international trips. I got
my need to live "on the road" out of my system. When asked
by school kids why I wasn't in a "real" circus, I told them
because I liked to live in a house! After all, where else
could I store all those unicycles? :)

So if you want to get away from that circus stigma, just
take your unicycle out on the trails. The farther you get
from the parking lot, or the nearest road, the less you'll
hear the circus mentioned. The image of the unicycle as
shown by Kris Holm and others is getting out there, and
slowly people's perceptions will change. But I'm sure it
will never go away in our generation. Any of us that grew up
with 20th century cartoons and Dr. Seuss books will always
have a certain association between unicycles and silliness.

--
johnfoss - IUF Director

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"I went to the Liberace Museum and the Elvis-A-Rama Museum on the same
day! This is not for everyone."

I bought my first unicycle because I wanted a unicycle. I
started to use it (half-heartedly) in performances because
I'm a performer. I took up juggling in much the same way.

I found juggling, er... not for me. I'm a performer rather
than a technician.

But the unicycling took off when I pushed it past the limits
of impressing people with the fact that I could ride, and
began impressing myself with WHAT I could ride - be it
distance, terrain, speed, wheel size...

And unicycling for me is definitely a sport.

Occasionally, the 20 inch unicycle is a useful prop in a
performance, but that doesn't make it a circus thing.

(Incidentally, I used to do fire eating, ladder walking and
stilts, so I had a sort of interest in circus skills, but
the unicycling is the only one that's stuck with me, and I
don't see mud plugging across the forest as much of a circus
performance.)

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Sometimes I ride like a demon, sometimes like a lemon. It's an L of a
difference.

Well spoken, John.

Juggling is a surprisingly common skill. I've come across
far more people who can juggle than can mount and ride a
unicycle 10m.

We are all unicyclists here, or at least have a strong
enough interest in the wheel to seek out experienced riders.
Odds are if you have been spotted riding a unicycle, you
have been asked about some present or future affiliation
with Ringling bros.

I spent 7 years as an avid juggler before I recieved a
unicycle as a gift. In that time, I was often asked joining
the circus, or more specifically, clowning. Both are
traditionally circus arts. I somehow doubt if
contortionists, animal trainers, or acrobats are subject to
that general classification, even though still traditional
circus arts.

Not to say that circus performers and clowns are any less
respectable than other practitioners. Anyone who has tried
clowning knows it's harder than it looks.

To follow the scientific method, there should be a poll
taken of the general population, to see if the percentage of
jugglers (or, if you prefer, individuals who can juggle) is
higher within our community than the overall average.

--
sockmonster - Level 4

Funny how in this forum, no one thinks it's weird if someone says, "I
tacoed my giraffe..."
sockmonster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4286

mikefule: what kind of performer are you? you say you wanted
to start juggling and unicycling because you are a
performer.

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/unicycleReviews.aspx)

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
version 3.0

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

sockmonster wrote:
> *To follow the scientific method, there should be a poll
> taken of the general population, to see if the percentage
> of jugglers (or, if you prefer, individuals who can
> juggle) is higher within our community than the overall
> average. *

I have no doubt that the average number of people who can
unicycle can also juggle is higher than the overall average.
They both require many of the same things; dexterity,
balance, hand eye coordination, determination. I see it as
no surprise.

I started juggling many years ago. I got the Klutz book of
juggling as a xmas present probably. I got my unicycle a few
years ago. That unicycles are so uncommon is part of what
draws me to them. If everyone could ride then it would lose
some of its draw for me.

I hate it when people ask if I'm a clown or if I'm part of a
circus and when I say no the people say that I should be.
I'm going to start telling them to compare riding a unicycle
to riding a skateboard or a bmx bike only its a lot more
difficult to even ride it. I ride for my own enjoyment and
nothing else. I don't mind showing someone what I can do,
but I don't like to perform.

EDIT: I would even go so far as to say I'm not interested
in watching someone perform juggling or unicycling anymore.
I would definately enjoy watching a trials competition
though. :)

--
Rayden
Rayden's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/264

I have disliked this thread.

What are we dealing with when people spout out clown
comments and other rude remarks? I think it is ignorance of
the masses.

From now on, I am going to use the Jim Carey response. It
goes as follows:

Idiot: Hey dude, do you work for the circus?

Scot: No dude, but I'll bet you must be a BIG FAN of
Jim Carey.

Idiot: Why, because I am so funny?

Scot: No, because he is famous for speaking from his
*SSHOLE.

No more Mr. Nice Clown

--
scot - unitourist

People try to put us d-down (talkin’ ’bout my generation)
Just because we g-g-get around (talkin’ ’bout my generation)

- The Who

scot's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/992

I read in a book somewhere that approximately 25% of males
and 20% of female americans can juggle. But I read this book
years ago and I'm not sure if these numbers are accurate. I
think they're close.

--
paco - Proud owner of 2 opposable thumbs

Sounds exactly like an orthodic support for shoes, only different. Would
this be called a butt-thodic support? or glutethodic?
-S_Wallis
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

I read in a book somewhere that approximately 25% of males
and 20% of female americans can juggle. But I read this book
years ago and I'm not sure if these numbers are accurate. I
think they're close.

--
paco - Proud owner of 2 opposable thumbs

Sounds exactly like an orthodic support for shoes, only different. Would
this be called a butt-thodic support? or glutethodic?
-S_Wallis
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

I would suggest that if a common reaction to an activity one
engages in causes one to seriously begin detesting others,
then perhaps one should consider that it is him or her who
has the problem and that perhaps that activity is unhealthy
for him or her. Or put another way it is not those who make
the comments who really have the problem.

Raphael Lasar Matawan, NJ

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

You must understand that this is not a woman's dress I'm wearing. It's
a man's dress. - David Bowie

JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

JJuggle wrote:
> *I would suggest that if a common reaction to an activity
> one engages in causes one to seriously begin detesting
> others, then perhaps one should consider that it is him or
> her who has the problem and that perhaps that activity is
> unhealthy for him or her. Or put another way it is not
> those who make the comments who really have the problem.
>
> Raphael Lasar Matawan, NJ *

I agree that it's fruitless to get overly upset and start to
detest others.

Some level of comments, both jokey ones and occasionaly
spiteful are inevitable whilst unicycling is
comparitively unusual.

Nevertheless, from the numbers of unicyclists who feel
annoyance at it, it is apparent that sometimes it can be
wearing and one way to deal with it and pass on possible
solutions, is to discuss it in forums like this.

My approach is to face up to the reality, which is that most
of the time the comments can be briushed aside and,
sometimes there is an opportunity to educate the public by
expaining that the unicycling/circus connection is a myth.

Occasionally it can get a bit more serious i.e. real
stupidity such as attempts to physically push the
unicyclist.

I posted last year about someone who ran after me whilst I
was on my 29-er late at night; i had no choice other than to
do nothing and risk whatever plan this guy had in mind, or
dismount, risking damaging him with the uni.

I chose the latter, not because I was annoyed and wanted to
damage him, but because he was being an idiot and putting me
at risk.(He did indeed get hit quite hard by the uni because
he was so close behind me)

In these cases there is a real risk of it getting nasty.

At the end of the day I, and many others here, just want to
go out and ride, not to show off or attract attention, but
just to ride our unicycles.

We have to same right to ride without comments as someone
riding a bike. To a large extent we do have to be accepting
of the attention, but we also need to challenge it because
that is part of the education of the general public that is
necessary; so they can understand what unicycling is and
come to see it as being more like cycling than a circus
act/performance.

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

Sofa wrote:
> *mikefule: what kind of performer are you? you say you
> wanted to start juggling and unicycling because you are a
> performer. *

That's not quite what I said about the unicycling. However,
these things did all sort of run in parallel. I guess if I
hadn't been a performer, I perhaps wouldn't have drifted
into buying a unicycle all those years ago.

I'm the Fule (Fool) of Dolphin Morris Men. For those who
don't know about these things, Morris dancing is a
traditional English dance form, usually danced by six
dancers and a Fool, to live music played by a solo musician.
It is danced as a display. The role of the Fool varies from
team to team, but in a modern team (s)he tends to do the
announcements and all the little entrtaining bits in the
gaps between the dances.

The emphasis of my performance (as a Fule) is on being
entertaining, rather than being clever, so I don't do a
complicated juggling routine or a set piece unicycle
routine. In fact these days I tend to stand there and talk
nonsense while the dancers get their breat back. ;0)

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Sometimes I ride like a demon, sometimes like a lemon. It's an L of a
difference.

Another thread about the dualism "unycicling VS juggling"
I`ve started to juggle in 1998, and I`ve tried a unicycle in
2000 (thanks to juggling and thanks to the people who juggle
and ride a uni both). So, now I can ride a uni, I read this
forum everyday, I have scars on my calf, I`ve spent my 2
last summer holidays on my unicycle, I have 4 unis, and I
ride the uni cause it`s fun for many many reasons that you
already know.... So I think I`m a unicyclist....

But

I`m also a juggler, and I like to juggle for the same
reasons that make me love the uni... The challenge, the open
space, the discover, .... the fun! Wheter if I juggle 5 club
or if I wheel walk with one foot I`m having fun for the same
reason: I`m trying something that push my at my limits. When
I pass 9 clubs with my mate, when I ride down a steep, I
feel the same sensation:happiness

But

I`m also a performer, I work every week (paid) as
juggler/unicyclist/clown/stupid.... Entertainer! In this
year I`ve done 4 shows... (And now it`s 7/01 )

So, I perform, I juggle, I ride the uni. What is hard and
what is easy?

When I perform I can easily do all my uni/juggling tricks,
because I show only the tricks that I can do! I know this
could be obvious, but it`s common to do only what you CAN
do, this because it`s a show. But when I`m on my 2,50mt
giraffe (8,2ft) and I pass 9 torches with my partners, one
on a walking globe and the other on a rola-bola, this is not
so easy. Juggling four clubs or wheel walk are both "easy",
because I can do them, kickup mount is hard because I cannot
do it. Or not?

When I ride, and I`m not performing, somebody say me stupid
things, but also when I juggle (for fun, not for work) I
meet somebody who say stupid things. This is normal, because
people don`t know the world of juggling, don`t know the
world of unicycling, dont`know that if I juggle or if I ride
a uni I`m not necessary a mad/clown/"circusman".

Juggling is a sport? Unicycling is a sport? Well, I
sincerely don`t care. I like to juggle and to ride. I care
about this.

And for those of you who have never try to juggle, TRY! I
think you will like it.

I hope you`ve understood my english!

Ciao ciao

--
giocologgi - TALK LESS RIDE MORE

My onza hate me... He want my blood!
giocologgi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/579

I pass 7 clubs with a partner. I'm not show quality yet, but
I'm working on
it.I don't think we've ever tried 7 torches, but 6 torches
is no problem. What's volleyclub? I juggle on a rolla-
bolla, but I think I need to work at it more to make it
more interesting. (More movement on the rolla-bolla)

-Mike

"hopeful" <[email protected]>
wrote in message news:[email protected]
at.Unicyclist.com...

> Wow... nobody has played volleyclub except for me? nobody
> passes 7 or 8 clubs (or torches) with a partner?
> unicycling and juggling are equally hard, some people are
> more adept at one rather than the other due to their own
> personal intrests and body type.
>
> Unicycling indeed can be beautiful and graceful, in fact,
> almost as much as figure skating, but so can juggling.
>
> In my book, performing juggling or unicycling with a set
> piece always falls into the same realm as coreography and
> I don't think that anyone will disagree that dancers are
> atheletes, so it follows that jugglers and unicyclists are
> atheletes as well.
>
> People who do not respect clowning and circus do not
> realize how difficult it is to do right. It takes years of
> training to become a professional performer in any circus
> discipline, including rola-bola, german wheel, clown,
> juggling and unicycling. Even rope walkers are atheletes,
> in their own right.
>
> We should all learn to respect each others' talents and
> skills by learning more about them and not making snap
> judgements. When others ask us if we are clowns or are in
> the circus, we shouldn't be irate, but rather guide those
> asking in the right direction with our own personal
> prefrences.
>
> So, when people ask me if I am in the circus, of course I
> respond yes, simply because I am. But I do more than
> unicycle too. When I perform, I do hand balancing,
> tightrope, trapeze, unicycle, comedic juggling, physical
> humor and performance art.
>
> ciao, matt
>

> --
> hopeful - Street Performer
>
> a sawzall...!? why not just use an axe. -- Jagur
>
> Long live the Lotus -- Mojoe
> --------------
> hopeful's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4470
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/29657

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 13:16:21 -0600, johnfoss
<[email protected]> wrote:

>If fishing is a sport, so are juggling and unicycling (and
>nose picking, if you ask me). My own simple definition for
>this is that if you compete at it, and if it involves
>physical exertion, it can be a sport.
Competitive nosepicking?

>Sometimes when people ask if you're in the circus, they
>really are just asking. But usually they're just being
>annoying. Take it any way you want. Depending on the tone
>of the asker, I will sometimes respond "No, are you?"
I am asked the question quite often, and I take it always in
a positive way. I think people are surprised to see a
unicyclist out in the open, and feel the need to come up
quickly with something to say. But somehow the 'circus'
concept, even if brought up in a neutral way, seems
offending to Americans; I don't know why.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
You have to keep in mind that those of us who post on RSU
are not normal. - John Childs