Is the lack of a rearview a problem for bikers?

Generally I'm going much much slower than other vehicles around me and seeing something coming directly at me with a rear/side mirror wouldn't really improve the odds. I stay out of the traffic when possible, ride as predictable as possible, and look behind before cross lanes. With flow of traffic, I find my hearing provide better situational awareness than the occasional scan of rear/side mirrors (as opposed to driving where it does contribute significantly to my situational awareness especially during heavy traffic).

Nope, most people have ears and can turn their heads if there is a need. If you're concerned about approaching traffic from behind, you should look into one of the radar systems.

Nope. Having ridden a lot at night I appreciate the fact I can most times tell if cars are coming from behind and their position by their lights. I actually feel safer riding at night on the road all lit up like a Christmas tree.

Is the lack of a rearview (mirror, radar, glass, etc.) a problem for bikers?
I really would like to have a camera pointing backwards under my seat (or maybe on a helmet?), and a viewing display on my handlebar stem. Ideally, the display would alternatively act as a speedometer and a GPS/map.

I would not rely on listening because above a certain speed, EVs are silent and their number is growing.

Seeing backwards would certainly increase confidence if you have to be around cars.

It became a problem when when I started using helmet mirror. That's when I realized the huge safety benefits of having rear view.

Before I started using mirror, I always looked behind by turning my head before changing lane, etc. But will never be as good as having mirror on your helmet. On urban commutes, it's a big yes to have some sort of rearview than just turning your head backwards. Even if you never do urban commutes, there's still a chance your rides will take you in more crowded situations.

As well as occasionally an odd vehicle coming from behind who looks like he wants to drive you off the road. You'll never know unless you turn your head or has mirror. But do you turn your head to the back every time you hear a vehicle approaching from behind? I doubt everyone does it all the time.

I look behind me quite often as I ride traffic or not , because I do not completely trust my hearing and as said above -electric and hybrid cars are quieter and we have to depend on the sound of the of the tires on the pavement or the whistling of air over the car. (imaginary?)

Also am expecting E - bikes might be coming up from behind. Don't like surprise company either E or naturally aspirated.

or the whistling of air over the car. (imaginary?)
That's the probably the sound of the electric motor or the fans or faulty bearings in one of the pulleys in the engine:)

Airflow rushing over a car does produce an audible noise but the noise is similar to the noise of the tires rolling against pavement, only less louder.

Anyway, you'll never know the difference until you tried mirror. I also look behind often and got real good at it, before going mirror. Helmet mirror is best and I won't go back to not having mirror no matter how goofy/nerdy/commuter it looks!

I believe that a raer view mirror adds a significant level of safety. I use both a bar end mirror AND a helmet/eye glasses mirror.

Best

Reactions: cobbwheels
I wear a rear view mirror attached to my sunglasses. This is nice to see cars maybe a quarter mile behind you. But if you have a bike lane or little traffic you will find that you simply listen for traffic. This is especially so on mountain twisting roads where you can't see back anyway. When I ride in the cities at moderate speeds it handy to be able to see traffic approaching from some distance behind.

Reactions: flan48
Hey! I totally get where you're coming from. Having a rear view mirror can definitely come in handy, especially when riding in traffic or on twisting mountain roads. It's great for keeping an eye on approaching traffic and staying safe. However, if you're riding in a bike lane or there's minimal traffic, relying on your hearing can be just as effective. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference and your comfort level. Just stay alert and aware of your surroundings, and you'll be good to go. Ride safe! :)

I don't believe in mirrors. I trust my eyes. I look back when I need to and feel it's safe. Never had a problem keeping control while looking back and my eyes see much more than a little bottle cap size mirror.

Funny thing is, I have passed about 1,000 riders in the last couple of years using mirrors. Only about 5 saw me coming from behind. I look in their mirrors to see if they acknowledge me before shouting out to them. Most are clueless on what they mirror is used for. I have even complimented those who actually see me coming. I'll tell them they are one of the very few who actually know how to use the mirror. They get a kick out of it. :D

Correct about the electric cars. I take even more care on the road now after having been fooled by a couple. No incident, just losing bets with myself before turning my head almost certain there were no cars. Those suckers are quiet.

Intriguing observation about mirrors and motorists' awareness! It's crucial to anticipate and share the road with electric vehicles, as their silent nature can catch us off guard. In cycling, we often rely on our senses and anticipation to stay safe. However, mirrors can be beneficial, allowing us to monitor blind spots and prevent accidents.

Ethically, we should utilize every tool at our disposal to promote road safety. Embracing mirrors can make us more vigilant and responsible cyclists. It's our duty to ensure we're seen and heard, fostering a harmonious coexistence with other road users.

So, let's make the most of mirrors and other safety gear while cycling. And, of course, keep those compliments coming for fellow vigilant riders! ‍♂️

Reactions: flan48