Is The Musette Extinct?

davidlbirkett

Jul 16, 2003
Hi everyone -

I am an increasingly desperate old roadie who would love to carry his essentials in a musette (aka bonk bag) again. The young things in cycle shops where I have asked only shake their heads, laugh and try to sell me some atomic-powered backpack with an onboard computer.

Does anybody know where I can obtain one in the UK? I am more than willing to advertise a cycle shop, club or whatever institution with which it is branded.

Many thanks -

David

Okay I'll be the first to admit that I had absolutely no idea what a "Musette" is, but since the internet has now taught me what they are (thanks Google), it sounds as though the kind of bag you're talking about is really similar to a Crumpler messenger bag (popular around here with bike couriers and student commuter cyclists etc.)

http://www.crumpler.com.au/public/select/messenger.html

These should be available in the UK..

Dear Rek -

Thanks for the reply and website. These bags are all much clunkier and larger than what I had in mind. I'm after something identical to the bags used in stage races at feeding zones. They used to be very common in the UK, but seem to have been washed away by the unthinking tide of so-called progress.

Happy biking -

David

I saw yellow TdF-logo musettes at one of the cycling gear websites I was browsing last night. A bit cheesy-looking, I thought, but you could always dye it black or something.

I'm fairly sure it was a US site, but I'll post the link anyway when I get home and can check the browser history on that computer.

Originally posted by Mouse Potato
I'm fairly sure it was a US site, but I'll post the link anyway when I get home and can check the browser history on that computer.
Here you go.

Kind-of looks like my old library book bag from primary school, although that was made from left-over 1970s curtain material and was even more garish.

If I see musettes anywhere else I'll post here again.

Interesting. I saw an older woman using a musette made by Louis Garneau the other day. Not sure how she got it, but she sure didn't seem like a cycling to me.

Anyway, Nike made a slightly more elaborate version of a musette, but still fits the minimalist idea. You can see the details by following this link:

Nike Tour de France Musette Bag

Good luck finding them though. I managed to pick one up at a local store, but they don't seem to be a commonly stocked item.

go to the tour.

they throw them to the crowds. my friend just got back and he brought home several. ugly yellow, but free.

yes musettes/feed bags are still made by cap manufacturer APIS in Italy, Prendas in the UK have a few to choose from for 5quid each if you can't get to a pro race.
Steve

Originally posted by davidlbirkett
Hi everyone -

I am an increasingly desperate old roadie who would love to carry his essentials in a musette (aka bonk bag) again. The young things in cycle shops where I have asked only shake their heads, laugh and try to sell me some atomic-powered backpack with an onboard computer.

Does anybody know where I can obtain one in the UK? I am more than willing to advertise a cycle shop, club or whatever institution with which it is branded.

Many thanks -

David
I am a young thing from Sydney who knows what a Musette is. They are sooooo cool! I managed to get three at the Tour Down Under this year. i just found out where the feed zone was and just waited by the side of the road. The riders take their bags, tranfer the food and drink to their pockets and the bag is discarded about 100yards down the road. I was lucky(?) enough to have three thrown at me and was also lucky to get some tasty morsels that Dario Pieri didn't want! And it was all free!!!
they also tend to be different designs for the different squads at the smaller races. At the TdF all the teams seem to use the terrible Coca Cola ones.

Cheers

Originally posted by idealhilton
Sorry address:

http://www.prendas.co.uk/

Very many thanks for the pointer to Prendas;
I too have been searching for a bonk bag
for a long time, and finally your message
helped me to locate a supply. And a big
"thank you" to Prendas, too, for not only
carrying such a rare item but for posting
them free-of-charge.

Philip TAYLOR

They're pretty much just calico bags though, aren't they? Last time I saw one they were.

Hey, old thread, I know, but I just ended up with a handful of new Louis Garneau (yellow body, black straps, LG logo in black -- not obnoxious) musettes that I have no need for. Who wants one (or 5)? Don't PM me, I never check those. Just say so here.

Not that I expect these to fly off my proverbial shelves. It's not like I'm handing out free monkeys here.

tafi said:
I am a young thing from Sydney who knows what a Musette is. They are sooooo cool! I managed to get three at the Tour Down Under this year. i just found out where the feed zone was and just waited by the side of the road. The riders take their bags, tranfer the food and drink to their pockets and the bag is discarded about 100yards down the road. I was lucky(?) enough to have three thrown at me and was also lucky to get some tasty morsels that Dario Pieri didn't want! And it was all free!!!
they also tend to be different designs for the different squads at the smaller races. At the TdF all the teams seem to use the terrible Coca Cola ones.

Cheers
I don't suppose you could spare one for an old coot from Queensland. I e-mailed the Tour down Under organisers to see if I could get one but they haven't replied ( no doubt because all the teams provide their own!) If you do have a spare and want to convert it to a small amount of cash; contact me at '[email protected].
Regards
Peter