Is the new Cannondale Synapse Alloy made in the USA?

janiejones

Jul 8, 2005
I heard someone say (somewhere on this forum) that the new Cannondale Alloy Synapse was the only Cannondale not made in America. Is this correct?

janiejones said:
I heard someone say (somewhere on this forum) that the new Cannondale Alloy Synapse was the only Cannondale not made in America. Is this correct?

yes, the alloy ones are made here and the carbon ones i think are made in china..

mksalazar said:
yes, the alloy ones are made here and the carbon ones i think are made in china..
i believe you are correct.

i was >< this close to buying a carbon synapse... when i noticed a little sticker stuck to the underside of the BB...

it said "made in china"

maybe not that big a deal... but the minute i saw that- all the romance was gone.

kind of like when you find out the hot girl hanging on you has a ****. might be a great person, great personality... maybe even good looking...

but it just aint the same.

schmuzzy said:
i believe you are correct.

i was >< this close to buying a carbon synapse... when i noticed a little sticker stuck to the underside of the BB...

it said "made in china"

maybe not that big a deal... but the minute i saw that- all the romance was gone.

kind of like when you find out the hot girl hanging on you has a ****. might be a great person, great personality... maybe even good looking...

but it just aint the same.
I read your post and just busted out laughing. Great analogy. I feel the same way about the "MIC" thing. It's just not a Cannondale anymore than there could be a "MIC" Colnago or Cinelli. Just not the same.

Welcome to the board.

This is a global world we live in today and I what I see here are parochial posters who are clueless. Why would you set up a manufacturing plant in the US today when you would have high overhead and high worker wages when you can set one up in China, or better yet, contract with a factory in China that can manufacture what you want much more cheaply, taking into account shipping and everything. Especially, why would you be so foolish to set up a plant in the US when the quality of the product is the same or better than what could be made domestically.

Nowadays only paper clips and sundry little items like that can be made in the USA and sell cheaply enough. They are so cheap as it is, that you can't import them at a profit.

Insight Driver said:
This is a global world we live in today and I what I see here are parochial posters who are clueless. Why would you set up a manufacturing plant in the US today when you would have high overhead and high worker wages when you can set one up in China, or better yet, contract with a factory in China that can manufacture what you want much more cheaply, taking into account shipping and everything. Especially, why would you be so foolish to set up a plant in the US when the quality of the product is the same or better than what could be made domestically.

Nowadays only paper clips and sundry little items like that can be made in the USA and sell cheaply enough. They are so cheap as it is, that you can't import them at a profit.
ohh relax.

yes, yes, and yes... to all your pedantic and empirical points. i agree with you implicitly. however, what i'm TRYING to convey is that there is more to buying a bicycle than weight and lateral force load statistics versus cost production runs.

its like wine- sure Boone's Farm tastes just good enough to go over the palet... and it'll buzz you up to the same degree as something considered to be "nicer"....

but c'mon...

when you buy a bike- its usually with you a long time. and each time you use it- i like to think of the little frenchmen hand wrapping the fibre- the tiny dagos hand twinging the spokes- the yanks pursuing the bearing tolerances to the 10(-6)mm...

it might be all ****- but i'm willing to pay for the illusion, as are **** loads of others in the market who are drooling over their next purchase of a colnago, bmc, merckxx or whatever over priced bit of esoteria lifts their skirts.

and those people pay higher prices for items that are produced in parts of the world with inherently higher overheads.. because they want to keep the romance alive.

let me take a wild guess here...

you probably have a shimano parts group.

just a guess.

i dont mean this email to come off as beligerant, i'm just saying- different strokes...

it'd be a damn sorry world if everyone lined up at the next race- and they all had the same state issued bicycle- painted the same color- and produced to the most economical equation.

besides how would you instantaneously be able to tell who was the "ass" in the crowd? the "snob"? the "horse"? the "climber"?

all i'm hinting at is the bike you choose, the brand you pick, the amount you spend- psychologically, are all very subtle points but yet very important ways of how you wish to project yourself.

every hear of a guy buying a $6000 frame and stripping the paint and logos off?

hhhhmmmm....

and this is everywhere- from the car you drive, to the meals you eat and wine you drink, to the shoes on your feet.

so its not going away anytime soon.

and if i dont want to buy something made in china- and pay more to perhaps keep a home industry alive...

than that is free choice. and let the market be the final judge.

schmuzzy said:
when you buy a bike- its usually with you a long time. and each time you use it- i like to think of the little frenchmen hand wrapping the fibre- the tiny dagos hand twinging the spokes- the yanks pursuing the bearing tolerances to the 10(-6)mm...

Hey

You forgot the image of the little chinese guy laying down the High Modulus Aerospace grade composite fiber and then spreading on the Nano resin that is being used with the fiber to achieve a higher lamination strength to weight ratio. and this is after some other chinese guy has done a finite element analysis and dynamic vibration analysis on the frame design

Well I dont understand what is wrong with you guys. Why are your frenchmen and chinese guys "little"??? In my mind, my carbon frame was hand built by a long legged exotic asian beauty who has 30+ years of carbon frames and a law degree but chose to build bikes instead. She smiles at me every so often...:D :D :D

Seriously, If Chinese people didnt make decent bike frames that were safe and strong enough for 80% of the world population, there wont be that many of them. Most of your Giants, Treks, Avantis, and other best selling frames are made in China. They even invented rice!!!:p

HT606 said:
Well I dont understand what is wrong with you guys. Why are your frenchmen and chinese guys "little"??? In my mind, my carbon frame was hand built by a long legged exotic asian beauty who has 30+ years of carbon frames and a law degree but chose to build bikes instead. She smiles at me every so often...:D :D :D

Seriously, If Chinese people didnt make decent bike frames that were safe and strong enough for 80% of the world population, there wont be that many of them. Most of your Giants, Treks, Avantis, and other best selling frames are made in China. They even invented rice!!!:p

Giants Composite Technical director at Interbike is this who you were talking about

34.jpg

Thanks guys - I didn't really want to start a debate, I just read that someone said Cannondale Synapse Alloy are not made in America, I have heard different stories and was hoping to find out. Which I did, so thanks.

And by the way, I ride a Taiwanese made Aluminium Fetish Cycles SAC, with Japanese Shimano group, French wheels, Italian stem, bars/tape and seat, German tyres, Malaysian tubes, and a few other "Asian" products to finish it off, I wear Australian knicks, Italian jersey, American raincoat, Italian helmet, Chinese gloves, Chinese socks owned by an American company, and Chinese shoes owned by a Canadian company - and I love it all!!

janiejones said:
Thanks guys - I didn't really want to start a debate, I just read that someone said Cannondale Synapse Alloy are not made in America, I have heard different stories and was hoping to find out. Which I did, so thanks.

And by the way, I ride a Taiwanese made Aluminium Fetish Cycles SAC, with Japanese Shimano group, French wheels, Italian stem, bars/tape and seat, German tyres, Malaysian tubes, and a few other "Asian" products to finish it off, I wear Australian knicks, Italian jersey, American raincoat, Italian helmet, Chinese gloves, Chinese socks owned by an American company, and Chinese shoes owned by a Canadian company - and I love it all!!
Janie

Are you also one of the few australian "German" Pro Team fans as well