Is the obvious being missed? Hematocrit

tomUK

Oct 20, 2003
I was just checking out a website reporting Hematocrit figures pre, 4 hours post and 24 hours post the Boston marathon - taken from a sample of people, of different age groups. On average:

Runners started the marathon with a Hematocrit of 44. 4 hours later this had dropped to 43, 24 hours later this figure became 40.8.

This is after one marathon. How are the tour riders keeping their figures up for 21 days in a row? Surely the doping authorities are asking questions about this? if not, why not?

source: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/446223_print

tomUK said:
I was just checking out a website reporting Hematocrit figures pre, 4 hours post and 24 hours post the Boston marathon - taken from a sample of people, of different age groups. On average:

Runners started the marathon with a Hematocrit of 44. 4 hours later this had dropped to 43, 24 hours later this figure became 40.8.

This is after one marathon. How are the tour riders keeping their figures up for 21 days in a row? Surely the doping authorities are asking questions about this? if not, why not?

They all eat a lot of red meat :D !!! Lance always ate the most (he feasted on veal) after every stage and that's why he's so quick...no other reason :rolleyes:

Borg said:
They all eat a lot of red meat :D !!! Lance always ate the most (he feasted on veal) after every stage and that's why he's so quick...no other reason :rolleyes:

I knew I was missing something. Maybe I need to eat a little more veal and read meat. If only it were that simple!

Borg said:
Not red meat but calfs blood (Actovegen) if you recall USP admitted and were filmed dumping empty packets of this product which they claimed they used for road rash.

Yeah...I remember that. Lance ain't no better than Ullrich IMHO...he's always had the better team (totally loyal) and the best Doctors. I hate the ******** about his pain-threshold being higher because of cancer etc. BIg difference between self-induced pain and the pain of chemotherapy. Yeah...nice GTO engine courtesy of Michel Ferrari too :D

slightly OT as I didn't want to start another 'new' thread about EPO..

Assuming one keeps his/her HCT below 50%, what are the long term dangers of using this drug?

After all, I've ready report after report (of self-confessed users) whom state that it makes you feel like superman - you have so much more energy. Firstly, can anyone confirm that - maybe someone who has lived at altitude for 6 weeks then come down to sea level.

Secondly, if there are no dangers associated with EPO, I think the whole population could do with a shot!

tomUK said:
Secondly, if there are no dangers associated with EPO, I think the whole population could do with a shot!
since EPO increases red blood cell count, this leads to increased viscosity of blood and therefore is a risk factor for circulatory impairments such as heart attacks, strokes, as well as increased blood pressure and tissue damage

I passed two dead deer today on route 202 ... next time I will shoulder one home.

Runners kill blood cells through pounding in there feet, and would be excreting lots of dead blood cells after a marathon. Top this off with some hyper hydration post marathon, doesn't seem implausible.

In addition would not be surprised if the hematocrit elevated in the taper period leading up to the marathon due to reduced rbc losses from damage.

tomUK said:

Legal infusions help to keep the hematocrit high.

Running KILLS red blood cells, not only in the feet but also in the joints and other muscles impacted by the road shock. Not so on the bike...

endroll said:
since EPO increases red blood cell count, this leads to increased viscosity of blood and therefore is a risk factor for circulatory impairments such as heart attacks, strokes, as well as increased blood pressure and tissue damage
Viscosity almost doubles between 45% and 55%. This is certainly going to cause tissue damage as well as increase the risk of blood clots.

Comparing Marathon Running to Cycling is a bad example. After 19-20 miles you begin to destroy muscle tissue running, not so with cycling. There are many other dangerous things you do to your body marathon running (people have been known to have had their heart displaced after a marathon). In no way are to two events comparable in what they do to your body chemistry.