Is the small cassette cog really necessary?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Feb 12, 2006.

  1. Some time ago I installed seven of eight cogs from an 8 speed cassette
    on a 7 speed freewheel. I intended to leave out the second cog but,
    through an oversight, I left out the first one instead. I didn't
    realize my mistake until I took it off. I only put about 500 miles on
    this setup (I have a lot of bikes).

    I don't doubt that the interlocking of the serrations on the small cog
    and lockring help everything stay tight. But this experience makes me
    wonder how necessary they are. I would love to build up cassettes with
    a 14 or 15 tooth small cog.

    Before doing this I was wondering if anyone (else) has any experience
    doing this.

    Thanks in advance,
    Tom

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] wrote:
    > Some time ago I installed seven of eight cogs from an 8 speed cassette
    > on a 7 speed freewheel. I intended to leave out the second cog but,
    > through an oversight, I left out the first one instead. I didn't
    > realize my mistake until I took it off. I only put about 500 miles on
    > this setup (I have a lot of bikes).
    >
    > I don't doubt that the interlocking of the serrations on the small cog
    > and lockring help everything stay tight. But this experience makes me
    > wonder how necessary they are. I would love to build up cassettes with
    > a 14 or 15 tooth small cog.
    >
    > Before doing this I was wondering if anyone (else) has any experience
    > doing this.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Tom

    I've used 13t second positions as first postions. Just gotta make sure
    the lockring is tight. You could Dremel little notches in the cog I
    guess to make sure.

  3. [email protected] wrote:
    > Some time ago I installed seven of eight cogs from an 8 speed cassette
    > on a 7 speed freewheel. I intended to leave out the second cog but,
    > through an oversight, I left out the first one instead. I didn't
    > realize my mistake until I took it off. I only put about 500 miles on
    > this setup (I have a lot of bikes).
    >
    > I don't doubt that the interlocking of the serrations on the small cog
    > and lockring help everything stay tight. But this experience makes me
    > wonder how necessary they are. I would love to build up cassettes with
    > a 14 or 15 tooth small cog.
    >
    > Before doing this I was wondering if anyone (else) has any experience
    > doing this.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Tom

    Depends on the cassette. With Campagnolo 9 speed, the first cog has a
    built in spacer. The spacer on the first cog is the only part that is
    engaged with the hub body. The actual teeth of the cog are in mid air
    over the threads of the locknut. If you tried to put a normal, non
    built in spacer cog in the first position, it would have no support and
    would sit on the locknut threads. And spin if you tried to use it
    because it is not engaged with the hub body.

  4. Hank Wirtz

    Hank Wirtz Guest

    "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I don't doubt that the interlocking of the serrations on the small cog
    > and lockring help everything stay tight. But this experience makes me
    > wonder how necessary they are. I would love to build up cassettes with
    > a 14 or 15 tooth small cog.

    Such cassettes are reasonably available - USCF regulations limit gear inches
    for junior racers. I know Veloce's available in a 9- & 10-speed 14-23 and
    14-28, and looking at Airbomb.com, I see Shimano has a 7-speed 14-32, a
    9-speed 14-25, and a 10-speed 16(!)-27.

  5. Marcin J.

    Marcin J. Guest

    Currently I'm riding on 7 sp cassette which is actually 9 sp SRAM 7.0 -
    without the biggest and the smallest cogs. It works fine on my mtb-commuting
    bike.

    --
    marcin
    www.enduro.95mb.com

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    >Some time ago I installed seven of eight cogs from an 8 speed cassette
    >on a 7 speed freewheel. I intended to leave out the second cog but,
    >through an oversight, I left out the first one instead. I didn't
    >realize my mistake until I took it off. I only put about 500 miles on
    >this setup (I have a lot of bikes).
    >I don't doubt that the interlocking of the serrations on the small cog
    >and lockring help everything stay tight. But this experience makes me
    >wonder how necessary they are. I would love to build up cassettes with
    >a 14 or 15 tooth small cog.
    >Before doing this I was wondering if anyone (else) has any experience
    >doing this.

    Just carry a cassette tool in case the lockring comes loose.
    Alex