Is the state bicycle shockwave fixie worth it? (urgent!)

This may be after-the-fact ... but, maybe not since the bike was still on sale earlier this morning ...

The bike is probably worth it IF you can already do the tricks you have in mind on a BMX bike which doesn't have a front brake caliper.​

Otherwise, in the past WalMart has had a Single Speed bike (probably Hi-Tensile steel frame instead of Cro-Mo, hubs which may need to be adjusted BUT that's true with a lot of bikes, cheaper tires, etc.) for sale for $100 +/- depending on when in the season it is sold ...

Because, if you are going to be dropping the bike when you muff the tricks you are trying to learn to do then you won't feel so bad about doing so on a less expensive bike.​

I just know how to bho
This may be after-the-fact ... but, maybe not since the bike was still on sale earlier this morning ...

The bike is probably worth it IF you can already do the tricks you have in mind on a BMX bike which doesn't have a front brake caliper.​

Otherwise, in the past WalMart has had a Single Speed bike (probably Hi-Tensile steel frame instead of Cro-Mo, hubs which may need to be adjusted BUT that's true with a lot of bikes, cheaper tires, etc.) for sale for $100 +/- depending on when in the season it is sold ...

Because, if you are going to be dropping the bike when you muff the tricks you are trying to learn to do then you won't feel so bad about doing so on a less expensive bike.​

I know the bunny hop and pedalling backwards. I could get a walmart bike but it wouldn't hand a jump at all. I would go for a bmx but they dont look as nice as that fgfs. I ordered it last night, should I cancel? It is a lot of money and i would to use my mountain bike again if it wasnt too small for me. The thing is with walmart bikes they arent assembled right so with both i have to get it assembled by pros anyway. I could save $200 by getting walmart but i have the feeling it wount last me a long time. My brother has a road bike for cheap from schwiin and it wasn't assembled right and broke apart fast with the pedals fallin off and breaks are terrible along with constant tires popping.

I hope that you realize that the STATE FGFS will come in a box ...

AND, you will need to assemble it ... or, have someone assemble it.

It's NOT rocket science ...

AND, the only people who should not undertake the process are people with arthritis-or-other-physical-limitation, surgeions of any ilk who need to use their hands (so, dental hygienists, too), and hand models because those are people whose careers depend on their hands NOT becoming injured by having a tool slip OR people whose IQ is below 90 ...

Presuming your aren't in any of those categories, you simply need to take your time & be willing to undo what you may have done to ensure that an adjustment is correctly made.
If you can open a jar of pickles AND properly put the lid back on, then you have probably the necessary dexterity AND mental skill needed to work on your bike.

Tools are another issue, but most modern bikes do not need as many bike-specific tools that bikes once needed.
BTW. The pedals which come with almost ANY bike sold after 1975 should probably be considered as temporary UNLESS you paid extra for them; so, IMO, that is probably the case with the pedals on your brother's Schwinn.

I don't know what brakes were on your brother's bike, but if you were to look at a catalog (if one were available!?!) or scan eBay, you will find that some brake calipers probably cost as much as your brother's bike cost!

Nonetheless, it is possible to adjust almost most brake sets AND lubing the cables with a very light automotive-type grease or equivalent will go a long way toward making almost EVERY (even pre-lubed cables & teflon lined housing, IMO) brakeset work more smoothly.​

EVEN expensive bikes need to be adjusted from time to time ...

So, it will be worth your time-and/or-money to go to your public library and borrow(-or-buy) either BICYCLING's or ZINN's maintenance book(s) ... AND, to become familiar with the Parktool.com website ...

BTW2. Based on the picture of the STATE FGFS and the apparent lack of specifics with regard to the frame's geometry, unless your height is between ~5'7" and ~5'9" then I'm going to suggest that the one-size-fits-all only-one-size bike may not be a good idea ...

How tall are you?

AND, the only people who should not undertake the process are people with arthritis-or-other-physical-limitation, surgeions of any ilk who need to use their hands (so, dental hygienists, too), and hand models because those are people whose careers depend on their hands NOT becoming injured by having a tool slip OR people whose IQ is below 90 ...

Presuming your aren't in any of those categories, you simply need to take your time & be willing to undo what you may have done to ensure that an adjustment is correctly made.
If you can open a jar of pickles AND properly put the lid back on, then you have probably the necessary dexterity AND mental skill needed to work on your bike.

Tools are another issue, but most modern bikes do not need as many bike-specific tools that bikes once needed.
BTW. The pedals which come with almost ANY bike sold after 1975 should probably be considered as temporary UNLESS you paid extra for them; so, IMO, that is probably the case with the pedals on your brother's Schwinn.

I don't know what brakes were on your brother's bike, but if you were to look at a catalog (if one were available!?!) or scan eBay, you will find that some brake calipers probably cost as much as your brother's bike cost!

Nonetheless, it is possible to adjust almost most brake sets AND lubing the cables with a very light automotive-type grease or equivalent will go a long way toward making almost EVERY (even pre-lubed cables & teflon lined housing, IMO) brakeset work more smoothly.​

So, it will be worth your time-and/or-money to go to your public library and borrow(-or-buy) either BICYCLING's or ZINN's maintenance book(s) ... AND, to become familiar with the Parktool.com website ...

BTW2. Based on the picture of the STATE FGFS and the apparent lack of specifics with regard to the frame's geometry, unless your height is between ~5'7" and ~5'9" then I'm going to suggest that the one-size-fits-all only-one-size bike may not be a good idea ...

How tall are you?
I am 5'11 and they wount give the 5 year warranty unless it pro assembled. I suppose i could fake it though. And I do understand it comes in a box. So then I cancel the order due to my height then?

How tall are you?
So then i should cancel it because im 5'11

How tall are you?
Still there?

The ~58cm long top tube would be okay for someone who is the fore mentioned height range on a bike with FLAT handlebars ...

BUT, for FLAT handlebars, I would think that someone who is 5'11" would want a frame whose top tube is closer to 60cm long ...

I'm not saying that you couldn't use a longer stem on the bike, BUT that does change the way a bike might handle if your intent (for example) is to eventually do 360º whips around the front wheel OR other "tricks" ...​

What is your current MTB frame's virtual top tube length?

You may want to consider simply buying-or-lacing a SS rear hub to your bike's current rear rim OR buying a ready-to-ride wheel OR buying some spokes & a rim & a SS hub and lacing up a wheel from scratch ...

AND, using the suggested Single Speed rear wheel with your current bike.​

Bare, Single Speed frames are legion if you check eBay ... well, maybe not legion, but there are many options ...​

Regardless, I do think that you should probably CANCEL the order.

The ~58cm long top tube would be okay for someone who is the fore mentioned height range on a bike with FLAT handlebars ...

BUT, for FLAT handlebars, I would think that someone who is 5'11" would want a frame whose top tube is closer to 60cm long ...

I'm not saying that you couldn't use a longer stem on the bike, BUT that does change the way a bike might handle if your intent (for example) is to eventually do 360º whips around the front wheel OR other "tricks" ...​

You may want to consider simply buying-or-lacing a SS rear hub to your bike's current rear rim OR buying a ready-to-ride wheel OR buying some spokes & a rim & a SS hub and lacing up a wheel from scratch ...

Bare, Single Speed frames are legion if you check eBay ... well, maybe not legion, but there are many options ...​

My mountain bike is 54. And well **** it already shipped so i might have to pay for shipping it back which wount be cheap. Well thanks for the help i guess ill just pay the expesnive shipping back and get a walmart fixie.

My mountain bike is 54. And well **** it already shipped so i might have to pay for shipping it back which wount be cheap. Well thanks for the help i guess ill just pay the expesnive shipping back and get a walmart fixie.
Scratch that just got home. Its a 21 inch top tube. Whole frame measures 44 inches. It's an old specialized mountain bike. So your final thought is to return it? the shipping it back would be very costly just saying. Welp, ****.

If you are pretty sure that you agree with me that the particular bike's frame is probably too small for you, then ...

Presuming that the bike is coming by way of UPS or FedEx, I think that you can have them intercept the shipment later-today-or-tomorrow/whenever & simply "return" (it) to the sender before it gets to you ..

I don't know if STATE BICYCLE wants-or-issues a Return Authorization Number ... if so, you can probably get the carrier to add that info to the box.​

Good luck!

Reactions: Kaden Golda

So I guess I'll cancel it? Turns out its $80 to ship back but I get a full refund on the bike.

Alright Well thanks!
So I guess I'll cancel it? Turns out its $80 to ship back but I get a full refund on the bike.
Well thanks, but I wount be returning it. It doesn't seem that fedex has the "intercept" option and that's what state bike is using to send it. I'll be keeping the bike I guess since I don't want to pay the $80 shipping for the bike plus the 15% restocking fee. Sorry but thanks for the help. Do you think I could make do with this bike? 58cm doesnt sound too bad to deal with especially if I'm not doing anything crazy right? respond soon and thanks for all the help man!

If you are pretty sure that you agree with me that the particular bike's frame is probably too small for you, then ...

Presuming that the bike is coming by way of UPS or FedEx, I think that you can have them intercept the shipment later-today-or-tomorrow/whenever & simply "return" (it) to the sender before it gets to you ..

I don't know if STATE BICYCLE wants-or-issues a Return Authorization Number ... if so, you can probably get the carrier to add that info to the box.​

Good luck!

Thanks anyway!

FYI ...

If you can't simply have the package intercepted tomorrow & shipped back to the "sender" then IF you are going to pay for the return, then check FedEx GROUND service ...

It is generally much less expensive than UPS Ground service ... and, it is faster.

About 10+ (?) years ago, FedEx bought RPS (Roadway Parcel Service?) which was a cartage company ... and so, the rates have almost always been lower ...​

It has always been worth the slightly longer drive (~3 miles for me) to go to a FedEx Walk-In storefront ...​

You can drop FedEx packages off at Kinkos, too ... I never have ... I don't know if there is a surcharge (I would actually think not).​

The FedEx Ground fee is based on the volume of the package ... weight is generally not a factor. I think the threshold must be 50 lbs. before a surcharge is imposed for weight.

BTW. If the bike is coming by USPS, then simply refuse delivery & have them "return to sender" ....

A frame with a ~58cm top tube + a ~120mm stem + DROP handlebars would probably be the preferred starting point for someone your height.

.. I wount be returning it. It doesn't seem that fedex has the "intercept" option and that's what state bike is using to send it. I'll be keeping the bike I guess since I don't want to pay the $80 shipping for the bike plus the 15% restocking fee.
BTW. Did you actually contact FedEx and ask them directly to let them know that you did not want to take receipt of a package which was being sent to you?

RESTOCKING FEE?!? I guess THAT was buried somewhere in the "fine print" on their website.​

Aw man
A frame with a ~58cm top tube + a ~120mm stem + DROP handlebars would probably be the preferred starting point for someone your height.
I didn't want to return it. I guess I have no choice, I guess no bike tricks for me then. And I guess you're sure that I won't fit the bike at all so that sucks. "one size fits all" ********. Ugh. Fine, I'll get a fixie I just feel so limited to what I can do. Are you SURE I won't be able to use it due to my height? Man, I don't want to get a fixie. The guy in the SHOCKWAVE looks like he is 6 foot but I guess I'll go for a fixie then :(