Is the use of statins defensible?

Al. Lohse

Guest
Maybe only to the uninformed.

I found this by having googled the author "Jeppesen."

A summary (not MY summary, someone else's):

http://home.earthlink.net/~mbabc/statinssh.pdf

Inform yourselves or let pharma, listener, marcus, drchung,
madison avenue, and your own doctors do the informing. There
are some brave souls working on our behalf. Some have put
their careers on the line.

Statins may merely be the "tip of the iceberg." There is
doubtlessly a great deal of deception going on in the
pharmaceutical industry. The verifiable facts point toward
prudence w.r.t. statins and, by extension, all drugs which
do not cure or control a disease. (Like, my personal pet
peeve, risk a 1 in 100 chance of getting a heart attack by
taking a drug for a 1 in 850 chance of not getting a stroke.
Duh. Values?)

Regards,

A.L. (Will reply to the impolite at my own discretion.
P,RBBDBW)

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 10:21:33 -0700, "Al. Lohse"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Maybe only to the uninformed.

>I found this by having googled the author "Jeppesen."
>
>A summary (not MY summary, someone else's):
>
>http://home.earthlink.net/~mbabc/statinssh.pdf

Very selective editing to support a very narrow view. Nicely
done. (Many of the items have been dealt with here in this
newsgroup and, of course, ignored and/or dismissed out-of-
hand by you & Zee)

>Inform yourselves or let pharma, listener, marcus, drchung,
>madison avenue, and your own doctors do the informing.
>There are some brave souls working on our behalf. Some have
>put their careers on the line.

Hey people, don't listen to you doctors! Advice from
Lohse: Scary.

>Statins may merely be the "tip of the iceberg." There is
>doubtlessly a great deal of deception going on in the
>pharmaceutical industry. The verifiable facts point toward
>prudence w.r.t. statins and, by extension, all drugs which
>do not cure or control a disease. (Like, my personal pet
>peeve, risk a 1 in 100 chance of getting a heart attack by
>taking a drug for a 1 in 850 chance of not getting a
>stroke. Duh. Values?)

There is doubtlessly a great deal of deception going on
here, too. Fortunately, it's not a tip of any iceberg. It's
two people. You and Zee.

>Regards,
>
>A.L. (Will reply to the impolite at my own discretion.
> P,RBBDBW)

Will you use more baby talk if you do?

:)

L.

...."the substantial protective effect of statins,
particularly on coronary artery disease, is well documented
and by far outweighs the potential risk of statin-induced
polyneuropathy."

Statins and Risk of Polyneuropathy: A Case-control Study, by
D. Gaist, MD, PhD; U. Jeppesen, MD, PhD; M. Andersen, MD,
PhD; L. A. Garcia Rodriguez, MD, MSc; J. Hallas, MD, PhD;
and S. H. Sindrup MD, PhD; Neurology, May 2002.

"...high blood levels of cholesterol do bear a relation to
heart disease risk; and statin drugs that lower
cholesterol reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke,
which are primary causes of death and disability,
respectively, in the US:

Beatrice A. Golomb, MD, PhD on Statin Drugs March 7,
2002 interview

listener wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 10:21:33 -0700, "Al. Lohse"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Maybe only to the uninformed.
>
> >I found this by having googled the author "Jeppesen."
> >
> >A summary (not MY summary, someone else's):
> >
> >http://home.earthlink.net/~mbabc/statinssh.pdf
>
> Very selective editing to support a very narrow view.
> Nicely done. (Many of the items have been dealt with here
> in this newsgroup and, of course, ignored and/or dismissed
> out-of-hand by you & Zee)
>
> >Inform yourselves or let pharma, listener, marcus,
> >drchung, madison avenue, and your own doctors do the
> >informing. There are some brave souls working on our
> >behalf. Some have put their careers on the line.
>
> Hey people, don't listen to you doctors! Advice from
> Lohse: Scary.
>
> >Statins may merely be the "tip of the iceberg." There is
> >doubtlessly a great deal of deception going on in the
> >pharmaceutical industry. The verifiable facts point
> >toward prudence w.r.t. statins and, by extension, all
> >drugs which do not cure or control a disease. (Like, my
> >personal pet peeve, risk a 1 in 100 chance of getting a
> >heart attack by taking a drug for a 1 in 850 chance of
> >not getting a stroke. Duh. Values?)
> >

> There is doubtlessly a great deal of deception going on
> here, too. Fortunately, it's not a tip of any iceberg.
> It's two people. You and Zee.
>
> >Regards,
> >
> >A.L. (Will reply to the impolite at my own discretion.
> > P,RBBDBW)
>
> Will you use more baby talk if you do?
>
> :)
>
> L.

Here is an excerpt from the link that Listener would rather
you ignore:

========= Start quote ================

Statins & Polyneuropathy “The authors note that their study
showed that long-term exposure to statins may substantially
increase the risk of polyneuropathy. These findings suggest
that statins may have a toxic effect on peripheral nerves.
One possible mechanism may be that by interfering with
cholesterol synthesis, statins may alter nerve membrane
function.” – A Colorado Health Site review of the study
“Statins and Risk of Polyneuropathy: A Case-control Study,”
by D. Gaist, MD, PhD; U. Jeppesen, MD, PhD; M. Andersen, MD,
PhD; L. A. Garcia Rodriguez, MD, MSc; J. Hallas, MD, PhD;
and S. H. Sindrup MD, PhD; Neurology, May 2002 –
http://www.coloradohealthsite.org/ – search on “statins
polyneuropathy”.

========= end quote ================

Now, do you think this quote is based on the findings of
their studies?

Do you think Listener's quote below is based on the findings
of their study?

> ...."the substantial protective effect of statins,
> particularly on coronary artery disease, is well
> documented and by far outweighs the potential risk of statin-
> induced polyneuropathy."
>
> Statins and Risk of Polyneuropathy: A Case-control Study,
> by D. Gaist, MD, PhD; U. Jeppesen, MD, PhD; M. Andersen,
> MD, PhD; L. A. Garcia Rodriguez, MD, MSc; J. Hallas, MD,
> PhD; and S. H. Sindrup MD, PhD; Neurology, May 2002.

Prefacing this quote should have been the sentence, "Now for
a word from our sponsor."

Following the quote above is a sentence beginning with "We
therefore believe...." A belief system has nothing to do
with science. They have given no grounds for their belief.
The belief is actually a rumour.

Nomatter what, one can never bring into summations of any
article, paper, or thesis, items which are not presented or
discussed within the body of those writings. I found no
mention in the paper of the "substantial protective effect
of statins." NO EVIDENCE WAS GIVEN. This, then, should be
considered to be a rumour, nothing else. Spreading rumours
can and does sell product. (e.g. in a recent survey it was
discover that people preferred cola a to cola b by 2 to 1.)
The lead author's name is a homonym for the English word
"ghost" in, at least, one other European language. Might
they be telling us something?

I do not give advice, but having a look at the colorado
website might prove to be interesting.

********* PART TWO *******

This is Listener's favourite quote from the person being
interviewed. Is it an accurate quote? Maybe not. Maybe she
has been misquoted. Was her quote taken out of context?
Please notice her quote extracted from the link given.

> "...high blood levels of cholesterol do bear a relation to
> heart disease risk; and statin drugs that lower
> cholesterol reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke,
> which are primary causes of death and disability,
> respectively, in the US:
>

> Beatrice A. Golomb, MD, PhD on Statin Drugs March 7, 2002
> interview

========= Start quote ================

There has never been benefit shown for many groups. “However
benefit to survival with statins or other cholesterol-
lowering agents has never been demonstrated in women (even
those at high cardiac risk), in the older elderly, or in men
at lower cardiac risk . . .” [emphasis added] – “Beatrice A.
Golomb, MD, PhD on Statin Drugs” –
http://www.coloradohealthsite.org/
========= end quote ================

Are these quotes compatible? Maybe. The first one
(Listener's) alludes to the possible widespread use of
statins while the latter (Colorado's) narrows it AT
LEAST in half.

Amazing.

Is this why Listener bowed out? I take a long weekend and
Listener bows out....there is more...

Some believe a game of checkers can be won on the first
move. Those believers should be required to prove it!

Regards,

A.L.

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:42:22 -0700, "Al. Lohse"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Is this why Listener bowed out? I take a long weekend and
>Listener bows out....there is more...

No. It's (partially) because of cretinous assholes like you.

Have a nice day, loser.

[flame off]

L.

>No. It's (partially) because of cretinous assholes
>like you.
>
>Have a nice day, loser.
>
>[flame off]

Hey L now you are speaking the way Al needs to be spoken to.
Don't forget he has thrown down the gauntlet so I'd watch
your back lol.

[email protected] wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:42:22 -0700, "Al. Lohse"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Is this why Listener bowed out? I take a long weekend and
> >Listener bows out....there is more...
>
> No. It's (partially) because of cretinous assholes
> like you.
>
> Have a nice day, loser.
>
> [flame off]
>
> L.
Been called worse by better people...

Sounds like someone caught in self, internal CONTRADICTION.

Lash out rather than allow ones brain to explode.
Satisfying?

When the truth hurts so badly that you have to curse a
trusted internet friend, it may be time to take stock. Put
your feet up... contemplate... meditate... "What is wrong
with me?" "Why am I like this?" "So irritated?" "So
agitated?" Uhmmmmmmmm HUhmmmmmmm Relax, it is not the end of
the world.

Only time will determine a loser. You certainly cannot. You
lack credibility. If there were no real problem, I would
have no "ammunition." Then, because I have so much
"ammunition," there must be a real problem. You resort to
cursing because you have lost all your defenses. I still
have three books to fall back upon. What have you got?

Suggest you grow up.

After all, you, Listener, are a verified liar, and I am not
even a regular kind. I have tried lying, a long time ago,
but find it exceedingly uncomfortable, unnecessary, and
unprofitable.

All is not lost; At least the good Dr. will be praying for
you. I would too, but, oh look, look at the time... sorry...
gotta run...

No time even for a closing remark or salutation, at least
not a very long one, at least not a very clever one,

A.L.

Al you really shouldn't waste your keystrokes trying to
prove your point. You have proven it to me beyond a doubt.
You are sick (and pretty stupid) and yet somehow you have a
tremendous vision of yourself as a fountain of wisdom. Must
be the result of oxygen depravation that occurred during one
of your MI's.

George wrote:

> Al you really shouldn't waste your keystrokes trying to
> prove your point. You have proven it to me beyond a doubt.
> You are sick (and pretty stupid) and yet somehow you have
> a tremendous vision of yourself as a fountain of wisdom.
> Must be the result of oxygen depravation that occurred
> during one of your MI's.

George. George. George. Sounds like somebody got out of the
wrong side of the bed this morning. Since when do you attack
the messenger when you cannot handle the message? Can you
think of another messenger who was attacked because of his
messages, on Good Friday, two millennia ago? By all means,
have a go at the messages. That is what this medium is for.

Actually, if you will have had difficulty with my latest
post, you may want to straighten out the nice folks at
coloradohealthsite.org for having misled me, and report
back, telling us what happened. Other than that, if you
prefer to be in the camp of the foul-mouthed, bone fide
liar, why not announce that as your choice and tell us why?

H.AN.D.
H.A.That is: http://www.coloradohealthsite.org/