is there a comfortable seat?

Tomshank

Guest
I have a question about riding comfort as I sit here in pain
after a unicycling sesion last night. I have an old 24"
Schwinn, and now a torker giraffe. The Schwinn is really
uncomfortable to ride on for more than 30 minutes or so, and
the Torker is slightly more comfortable, but I have not
ridden it for 30 minutes without dismounting...

anyway, I am wondering if there really are seats out there
that are not painful for riding long distances and/or doing
trials stuff.

Are the endurance M'uni riders out there comfortable, and
could someone recommend a non-crotch-killing seat that
doesn't cost a fortune (<$100) ? (Am I too cheap?).

By the way, do people generally wear some sort of crotch
protection such as a strap or supportive biking pants,
etc... while riding?

Painfully yours, Tom

--
tomshank
tomshank's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5797

Many of us like 'KH Seats' (http://tinyurl.com/2k2jz)

tomshank wrote:
> *I have a question about riding comfort as I sit here in
> pain after a unicycling sesion last night. I have an old
> 24" Schwinn, and now a torker giraffe. The Schwinn is
> really uncomfortable to ride on for more than 30 minutes
> or so, and the Torker is slightly more comfortable, but I
> have not ridden it for 30 minutes without dismounting...
>
> anyway, I am wondering if there really are seats out there
> that are not painful for riding long distances and/or
> doing trials stuff.
>
> Are the endurance M'uni riders out there comfortable, and
> could someone recommend a non-crotch-killing seat that
> doesn't cost a fortune (<$100) ? (Am I too cheap?).
>
> By the way, do people generally wear some sort of crotch
> protection such as a strap or supportive biking pants,
> etc... while riding?
>

> Painfully yours, Tom *
'KH Seats' (http://tinyurl.com/2k2jz)

--
mscalisi - Not such a newbie anymore
mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961

I had the same problem with my crotch but after a while
I just got used to it. Give it a month at most, and
you'll be fine.

David

--
darchibald - Unofficial level 3.9

"Testacles still intact" ~ My mom's reaction after watching me do a
suicide mount.
darchibald's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6240

Even when I ride every day for weeks, I still have to do
major adjusting once I mount to get comfortable.
Freemounting is ok from a standstill, but how do you do a
suicide or rolling mount and maintain your...

--
tomshank
tomshank's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5797

If you are still having problems after a while, try using an
air seat. I don't have one because I don't think I need one.
There are lots of people here who use them and can give you
tips on how to make them.

Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino
Sig count: 2

if you really want to get comfortable get a good seat, get
some professional bike pants (then you only have to adjust
yourself once) face the issue on more then one frount and it
will be solved. i rekon the miyata seats are pretty good,
for what your doing the kh seat is most likely better, with
a seat and bike pants it might cost you over 100 usd but
"some things" are worth protecting

--
SimonWells - the goods at unicycling
SimonWells's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/772

Air saddle conversions are the way to go. They are
unbelieveably comfortable for long rides. You can do a
search for some posts showing a couple of different styles
that I made. If I have time later, I'll try to post a link
to some of those old threads

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

I'm a bit confused. When i first read this thread I thought
it was talking about chafing in the inner thighs. I didn't
know it was about protecting yourself. My only tip for that
is when you get on push the seat back and then pull it
forward. That puts "it" up front, not underneath.

Tomshank, Thats partly why its called a suicide mount. You
just do it and hope for the best.

David

--

tomshank wrote:
> *By the way, do people generally wear some sort of crotch
> protection such as a strap or supportive biking pants,
> etc... while riding? *

I always wear snug fitting cycling shorts when I ride. They
keep the dangly bits from getting sat on and they minimize
chafing. I usually wear the cycling shorts under a loose
fitting outer short.

Find a good pair of padded cycling shorts. They make riding
much more comfortable. Cycling shorts are designed to be
worn next to the skin. You don't wear underwear under them.

Many of the new padded cycling shorts have a pad with ridges
and channels or even a smooth corduroy like pattern on the
pad. Those fancy new style pads don't work well for
unicycling. They work well for bikes, but on a unicycle they
cause chafing. Look for a pair of shorts with a smooth pad
with no ridges.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

do yourself a favour

GET A KH SEAT i havnt ever used anything more comfy at all

it'l leave you daisy fresh!

yipee!

--
BungleBanks - Wooden Chipmunk!

So many people ask me "if i can ride that thing?" and i say "no i just
push it round for fun!"
BungleBanks's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5830

i have a new torker lx and i think the seat is fairly comfy.
i was looking at the kh seats......it looks to me that the
pad is a bit bigger on the kh seat than on the
torker......is that the only difference between them as far
as comfort goes?

i was also thinking about an air seat conversion for my
torker seat but i think they are kinda spendy......most if
my riding is going to be Muni so i think it could be a good
envestment.

what do you recomend a kh seat or a air seat conversion for
my torker?

--
OSH - Torkn' around

"You got a dart in your neck."
OSH's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6497

KH seats suck, ive gone through 6 this year because they
just fall apart. Plus they suck for seat out hopping ( very
uncomphortable) . I got a viscount with a reeder handle and
put on air seat conversion on it. Works awesome cause i can
use it on my 20 and 24 for trials and Muni.

justin.

--
unibrow - ROYAL RIDERS RULE )--(x)

phfff who unicycles...
unibrow's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2496

unibrow wrote:
> *KH seats suck, ive gone through 6 this year because they
> just fall apart.
>
> justin. *

I think i'd stop buying them after 2 or 3.

David

--

john_childs wrote:
> * I always wear snug fitting cycling shorts when I ride.
>
> ...Find a good pair of padded cycling shorts. They make
> riding much more comfortable. Cycling shorts are designed
> to be worn next to the skin. You don't wear underwear
> under them...*

IMHO this is an absolute must, especially for rides of more
than 30 minutes. Start with this. The only time I don't wear
cycle shorts is for rides of less than 5 minutes. The torker
seat, at least, will be fine. I can't speak for the Schwinn.
Don't know. Also, I cannot ride the giraffe for as long as
other unis. I think I sit heavier in the saddle and don't
resituate much. That thing can get away from me quick.
However, we regularly ride multi-hours on MUni and 29er (KH
seat on each). But I always wear the padded cycle girdle.

--
Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...

"do not think, just ride"...muniracer
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

john_childs wrote:
> * I always wear snug fitting cycling shorts when I ride.
> They keep the dangly bits from getting sat on and they
> minimize chafing. *

I think this is a classic description..... "the dangly
bits".

Make me smile! :p

Bill

--
billham

"Watch out for those widow makers!" What I said to chirokid a few
minutes before a widow maker (dead tree) landed on his unicycle
immediately after an UPD.
billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

The first thing to keep in mind is that seat comfort is a
very personal thing. It's not only about what fits your
crotch the best, which is not the same for all of us, but
what's most comfortable to you for the type of riding you
do. This will be very different between a freestyler, a
Trials rider, and a guy who cranks out 20+ miles with little
or no stopping.

What that means is that your mileage may vary. For each
major brand of seat out there (not necessarily counting the
cheap ones), there is someone who thinks it's the most
comfortable.

That said, the general consensus of this board is that air
seats are the most comfortable. That could be air on a
Miyata base or other type, though I think the Miyata-based
ones are the most common.

But air seats are either pricey to buy, or a bit of work
to make. I've made some and it's pretty easy, but you do
have to dismantle the entire seat and be willing to
experiment a little.

If you don't want to do any work, I think the consensus of
this board is also that the most comfortable non-air seat
you can buy is the KH. Nice and kushy! I use both. I believe
my air seat was the more comfortable one on the 24 Hours of
Adrenaline ride I did this weekend. I used two different
cycles, one with a brand new KH seat and the other with a
carbon-based air seat with Roach cover. The air was better
but both were fine. I rode the 10 mile loop three times.

Depending how old your Schwinn is, the foam inside the vinyl
cover may have deteriorated. Our old ones used to turn to
powder eventually. That may contribute to the problems with
that seat.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not
because they are easy, but because they are hard." -- John F. Kennedy,