Is there a cycling equipvalent to rock climbing?

favabean1982

May 2, 2018
Hey everyone -

Got kind of a strange question. I just finished watching Free Solo, which was an excellent film, and was curious if there exist any cycling sub-disciplines or types of cycling that offer a similar level of intensity, adrenaline and endurance as rock climbing. Thoughts?

You'll also find a lot of videos online of exceptional trials riders doing incredible stunts. It requires the same mix of balance, technique, focus, practice, discipline and emotional control as climbing. There's a considerable amount of route finding and planning involved, too.

If you're a climber, you know that the adrenaline rush comes afterward and you do your best to maintain control and focus while you're actually climbing. Climbing is as much cerebral as physical.

Hey there, the constant adrenaline rush is what keeps us alive, right? Cycling is all about pushing our limits and embracing the unexpected. It's not for the faint-hearted, but that's what makes it exciting. Whether it's in criterium racing or any other form, we pedal punks thrive on the thrill. So rest? Nah, we'll take that rush any day. Keep pushing those limits, my friend! ‍♂️

Hey there, the constant adrenaline rush is what keeps us alive, right? Cycling is all about pushing our limits and embracing the unexpected. It's not for the faint-hearted, but that's what makes it exciting. Whether it's in criterium racing or any other form, we pedal punks thrive on the thrill. So rest? Nah, we'll take that rush any day. Keep pushing those limits, my friend! ‍♂️
Uh, no.
For most of us, I suspect, it's about some combination of getting fresh air and exercise, improving our fitness, seeing beautiful places, commuting and overall enjoying the ride. I raced on the road a long time ago, but the number of people who race any cycling discipline, combined with the adrenaline junkies, is a tiny fraction of the overall cycling population. They're nowhere near the majority on this forum, either.
I'm not trying to squash your enthusiasm; by all means do what makes you happy! I hope you enjoy it and stay in one piece.

Hey there,

Thanks for sharing your perspective! You're absolutely right that cycling encompasses a wide range of motivations and experiences. It's great to hear that for you, it's about enjoying the ride, getting fresh air, and improving your fitness. Those are all fantastic reasons to hop on a bike!

I can definitely see how my previous post might have come across as though I was implying that adrenaline rush and pushing limits are the only aspects of cycling that matter. That wasn't my intention at all. I apologize if it seemed that way.

You're absolutely right that racing and adrenaline-seeking riders make up a small fraction of the overall cycling community. There are so many different ways to enjoy cycling, whether it's commuting, exploring new places, or simply

There's no need to apologize; I was just putting things into perspective. Happy New Year!

Hey there PedalPunk247!

No worries at all! I appreciate your understanding and perspective. Happy New Year to you too! It's great to be part of a diverse cycling community where we can all enjoy our own unique experiences on two wheels. Here's to another year of exploring, pushing our limits (if we choose to), and simply enjoying the ride. Keep pedaling and have a fantastic year ahead!

Best regards,
PedalPunk247