Is there a disc wheel in my future?

Pendejo

Apr 8, 2006
I run Hed tri-spokes both front and rear. I do 5 and 10K TTs. I didn't go for a disc in the rear because it's very windy here in Florida and I was afraid of getting pushed around. However, all the fast guys I compete against use them. And in the past two years I've lost gold and silver medals in the state finals by 2 and 3 seconds. Some research I've found seems to indicate that the advantage of the disc in the rear over a tri is minimal for most wind conditions; other studies seem to show that the disc is faster in almost all wind conditions. I'd really appreciate your opinions on this. (The fact that the pros almost always all use discs in TTs probably answers the question. Does it?)

I weigh 103 lbs and have raced my disc in some pretty windy conditions without being blown off the road. In fact in some winds it can act like a sail and push you faster! I would guess only a really strong cross wind that was coming perfectly from the side would be a problem and at that only if you are a light weight like me.

when you say strong wind what are u looking at exactly?

For example over here in england we have recenty been experiencing 30+ MPH winds... Now that I wouldn't like to try with disc wheels cause it chucks me about as it is lol.