Is there a Heavy Dough mixer?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Richard's ~JA~, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. I have "aged" into being just a bit impaired wrist strengthwise when mixing cookie dough, and I'd
    like to know of a recommendation for something simple and economical I could get to use for this
    task. I do enjoy taking fresh baked cookies aboard for my Marines to enjoy, but even thinking
    about mixing that heavy dough is painful. I do have a Kitchenaid mixer with it's original three
    types of beaters, and maybe the single "blade" type of beater could work my flours through the
    mix, but the mixer is just the 300 model. The bowl fitting it is too small for the amount of
    batter I most often use (containing four cups of the flours, along with the butters, chips, nuts
    and other bits of things).

    As it is now I use my "stick" type of hand beater for creaming the butter into the sugars and then
    the eggs, then I move the bowl into the sink bottom so as to have an easier "leverage strength" for
    folding the flours into that. So, to all you so helpful cooks, is there some sort of heavy-duty
    electronic kitchen tool that isn't beyond a fifty dollar range that I could look into getting for
    just this one painful task?

    Picky ~JA~

    Tags:

  2. Notbob

    Notbob Guest

    On 2004-02-24, Richard's ~JA~ <[email protected]> wrote:

    > flours into that. So, to all you so helpful cooks, is there some sort of heavy-duty electronic
    > kitchen tool that isn't beyond a fifty dollar range that I could look into getting for just this
    > one painful task?

    Have you tried an illegal alien?

    nb

  3. [email protected] - the silly one uselessly asks....
    >Have you tried an illegal alien?
    With all of the very helpful and caring Marines that are missing home cooking and their family
    members that I have about, why would I shop around for such? It's -for- others I like to make the
    baked goods, not -with- them as merely a labor source.

    Picky ~JA~

  4. Dan Levy

    Dan Levy Guest

    Mix batter in two batches? If there's eggs in odd numbers, beat them first then measure out half
    per batch.

    Or, will the mixer head detach from the stand to use as hand mixer in larger bowl? Dunno about
    Kitchenaid but my Mixmaster will. You could check garage and yard sales. If desperate you could try
    chucking a beater in a hand held electric drill, that would give you a fair amount of power.

    "Richard's ~JA~" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    3191.bay.webtv.net...
    > I have "aged" into being just a bit impaired wrist strengthwise when mixing cookie dough, and
    > I'd like to know of a recommendation for something simple and economical I could get to use for
    > this task.

  5. ranck

    ranck Guest

    Dan Levy <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Or, will the mixer head detach from the stand to use as hand mixer in larger bowl? Dunno about
    > Kitchenaid but my Mixmaster will. You could check garage and yard sales. If desperate you could
    > try chucking a beater in a hand held electric drill, that would give you a fair amount of power.

    Kitchenaids don't detach to use as a handheld, and it would be too heavy for comfortable use even by
    someone who's wrists were in good shape. In fact, I think a handheld mixer is probably a bad idea in
    general for someone with wrist strength problems.

    A bigger KA, or as you suggested, divide the batter into two batches that will fit in the one
    she is using.

    Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

  6. [email protected] Dan=A0Levy thoughtfully suggests....
    >Mix batter in two batches? If there's eggs in odd numbers, beat them first then measure out half
    >per batch. Or, will the mixer head detach from the stand to use as hand mixer in larger bowl?
    >Dunno about Kitchenaid but my Mixmaster will. You could check garage and yard sales. If desperate
    >you could try chucking a beater in a hand held electric drill, that would give you a fair amount
    >of power.
    I don't know that halving the dough for mixing could be any less painful, rather just take more
    time. My Kitchenaid does not allow for any way to hand-mix, and a drill may not work either...plus I
    have none. =

    The batch I make ends up being just over twelve dozen 3" cookies, and for this time, they're all
    packed into containers for taking to work and keeping. Setting the bowl into the sink with the
    creamed butter and sugars, and then mixing the flour into the batter literally bare handed worked
    pretty well tonight, I must say. Another first time try was to make 15 cookie (baking sheet size
    amount) sized rolls of the dough, wrapped in wax paper, then into the refer for about an hour ro sit
    there until cutting and mashing onto the two bake sheets for baking. It worked to be a far better
    method than spooning or "balling" the dough onto the sheets.

    For now, I will simply stick to the naked hand blending of any heavy doughs, but thanks so much for
    trying to be of help!

    Picky ~JA~

  7. Tashi_Aunt

    Tashi_Aunt Guest

    You need to find a secondhand Hobart N-50. That will handle anything you can throw at it. They are
    expensive, but well worth it. I do not have one, but I know folks that do. The other machine you
    should look at is a 1000 watt 7 quart Viking mixer. I have a 6 quart Professional KitchenAid which I
    love. Those are all the options I can think of at the moment.

  8. Donna Rose

    Donna Rose Guest

    > You need to find a secondhand Hobart N-50. That will handle anything you can throw at it. They are
    > expensive, but well worth it. I do not have one, but I know folks that do. The other machine you
    > should look at is a 1000 watt 7 quart Viking mixer. I have a 6 quart Professional KitchenAid which
    > I love. Those are all the options I can think of at the moment.

    If I remember correctly, one of the limitations was a budget of $50.
    --
    Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are

  9. T E

    T E Guest

  10. stan

    stan Guest

    Richard's ~JA~ <[email protected]> wrote:

    > For now, I will simply stick to the naked hand blending of any heavy doughs, but thanks so much
    > for trying to be of help!

    Check eBay, you might find a restaurant grade dough mixer there. If not, check local restaurant
    supply stores.

  11. stan

    stan Guest