Is there a non Shimano pedal that takes SPD-SL cleats

I don't know of any SPD-SL knock offs yet. Look knock offs abound ie VP, Wellgo, Nashbar, Xepedo. Heck, Shimano used to liscense Look pedals back in the 90s.

::dom:: said:
Is there a non Shimano pedal that takes SPD-SL cleats???
New, in the box, PD-R540 Shimano pedals sell all the time on Ebay for $50, or less. I got R600(exactly - same weight - the same as Ultegra SPD-SL, but they say "Shimano" instead of "Ultegra") for $50. What are you looking for? Decent clipless pedals (Look, Cranks, SPD) of any type are going to cost you at least ~$50. If you are just looking for a cheaper pedal, good luck. Ebay is your friend.
You can find "used" cheaper, but "new" are going to cost you $50, at least.

I have the R540 and the R600 and you really can't tell the difference. They feel exactly the same. Or, you can pay WAY more and go for DuraAce. They will feel the same, but weigh some small amount less. Drink one less beer and save $100 ;-) (Ok, that's an exaggeration - but, it's the realist's way to look at it).

fish156 said:
Drink one less beer and save $100 ;-) (Ok, that's an exaggeration - but, it's the realist's way to look at it).

DRINK ONE LESS BEER :eek:

I'm not looking for new pedals (I have 2 pairs 540s and one pair DA SPD-SL) but I was wondering why there hasn't been a proliferation of "copies" the way Look has.

I agree about eBay. I've built two complete top-of-the-line bikes from eBay parts. Also got the DA SPD-SL pedals brand new for just over $50 (short auction, mid winter and the description just said "Shimano Pedals").

::dom:: said:
DRINK ONE LESS BEER :eek:

I'm not looking for new pedals (I have 2 540s and one DA SPD-SL) but I was wondering why there hasn't been a proliferation of "copies" the way Look has.
ok, now it's clear what you are after ... Can you say "patent rights" and "royalties"? I'm sure that Shimano would be vigorous about enforcing these issues. But, if you visit Shanghai you could very likely buy knockoffs - right next to the "WindowsXP_for_$10" CDs. A prime example would be Cane Creek headsets. You can be certain that they are paying royalties for the "Aheadset" design. Check their site. They don't come right out and say it, but it's there, nonetheless. So, Look sold out and licenses copies. Happens all the time, but you'll never see IBM advertising that some printer technology they are using is liscensed from HP. Ya know what I mean?