Is There A Right Or Best Way To Store Tires?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by MotownBikeBoy, May 14, 2015.

1. MotownBikeBoy

MotownBikeBoy Active Member

Or tyres if you hail from Britain or Down Under?

It occurred to me today that hanging my Suomi studded winter tires off a peg on a garage wall where summer temps can be as hot as 130 degrees F is probably far from optimal.

So is there a right way to store tires?

Flat on their side or hanging?

Temperature range? Humidity?

Darkness better to avoid breakdown from UV?

Maybe sealed in something like a couple of layers of garbage bags to minimize oxidation?

???

Tags:

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Dark, cool and away from electric appliances(they can generate ozone, which is a very effective rubber killer.) will get you a long way.
    If you want to be OCD about it, store in extra-tight plastic sacks and purge with nitrogen before sealing.
    Hanging on a wall takes less useful space than laying flat.
    Humidity isn't a big factor.

3. MotownBikeBoy

MotownBikeBoy Active Member

Thanks - I definitely would not have thought of the ozone thing.

4. lectraplayer

lectraplayer Member

I might mount them on a spare rim if I had one for them. Then you could hang it on a nail, as the rim would easily support the loads, not the tire bead, which would deform.

5. mpre53

mpre53 Well-Known Member

I buy my tires after they've been folded up in a box for god-knows-how long, so where I store them isn't a concern. In the basement, away from heat sources. Some people even stuff one into an old water bottle and carry it with them on a ride, as a spare in case they shred one beyond boot-safe.

6. Viking55803

Viking55803 Member

In the old days (60's and 70's) we used to "age" our racing tubulars by hanging them in a cool, dark place for several months to a year. The rubber on those tires stored in those conditions tended to harden with age and become much more resistant to puncture than a new, fresh one. I honestly don't know if the composition of tires has changed but we know exposure to light and ozone still breaks down tires.

7. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Just make sure you store them in a coolish dark place not excessively humid nor dry, away from electrical motors, petroleum fumes, and fertilizer and off the floor, I keep mine in their original packaging and stuff them into a zip lock plastic bag inside a file cabinet in the basement.. Hanging tires does nothing, it's better to keep them the way the factory packaged them.

Having said that is all of that necessary? Not sure! I bought a bike with only 5 miles on it that the guy bought new in 83 or 84, it had the original tires, he kept the bike in the attic where it would get really hot in the summer and really cold in the winter for 29 or 30 years, and the tires look brand new, no cracks no fades nothing suggesting it was stored that long. I rode that bike for about 40 miles on those tires and they were great, I replaced the tires with more modern tires and stored those in the same place I store the my tires except since they were steel beaded I hung them in the basement with nothing over them.

So does all that preparation to store tires I suggested in the first paragraph work at keeping the tires fresher...honestly...I have my doubts about it, but do what you think will make you feel better about it.