Is there a safer way to induce vomiting?

Margaret Garden

Guest
Hello folks,

I find I am able to keep a very good diet for five or six days in a row, and then I lose control one
evening and probably consume 3000 calories more than I would metabolize, i.e. all my savings from
eating well the previous almost-week are completely counteracted by my once a week gluttony. I eat
till I'm full -- completely stuffed, and then I lose all interest in eating and feel very very
guilty. What I'd like to know is if there's a safe way to induce vomiting. I'm aware it's somewhat
risky if done often. But what if I just do it once a week and make sure to scarf down water
afterwards, brush my teeth and so forth? Would that (induced vomiting very shortly after over-
consumption) prevent absorption of a significant portion of those calories, or do they get absorbed
within only a few moments of my eating them? I've heard someone somewhere say that syrup of ipecec
can cause heart problems in some people, is this true? What's your source for your knowledge on that
fact, too? Thank you for your input on this matter; I know there's a visceral reaction against
inducing vomiting in modern society, but I'm not sure how much of it is based on science fact, and
how much of it is based on emotional response.

Thank you!

Marge

even if it worke out like you want there are bigger issues that will not be
solved by doing this, I think I would work it out another way even if it
takes longer to lose, Lee
Margaret Gardener <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello folks,
>
> I find I am able to keep a very good diet for five or six days in a row,
and
> then I lose control one evening and probably consume 3000 calories more
than
> I would metabolize, i.e. all my savings from eating well the previous almost-week are completely
> counteracted by my once a week gluttony. I eat till I'm full -- completely stuffed, and then I
> lose all interest in
eating
> and feel very very guilty. What I'd like to know is if there's a safe way
> induce vomiting. I'm aware it's somewhat risky if done often. But what if
> just do it once a week and make sure to scarf down water afterwards, brush my teeth and so forth?
> Would that (induced vomiting very shortly after over-consumption) prevent absorption of a
> significant portion of those calories, or do they get absorbed within only a few moments of my
> eating them? I've heard someone somewhere say that syrup of ipecec can cause
heart
> problems in some people, is this true? What's your source for your
knowledge
> on that fact, too? Thank you for your input on this matter; I know there's
> visceral reaction against inducing vomiting in modern society, but I'm not sure how much of it is
> based on science fact, and how much of it is based
on
> emotional response.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Marge

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:19:03 -0800, "Margaret Gardener"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hello folks,
>
>I find I am able to keep a very good diet for five or six days in a row, and then I lose control
>one evening and probably consume 3000 calories more than I would metabolize, i.e. all my savings
>from eating well the previous almost-week are completely counteracted by my once a week gluttony. I
>eat till I'm full -- completely stuffed, and then I lose all interest in eating and feel very very
>guilty. What I'd like to know is if there's a safe way to induce vomiting. I'm aware it's somewhat
>risky if done often. But what if I just do it once a week and make sure to scarf down water
>afterwards, brush my teeth and so forth? Would that (induced vomiting very shortly after over-
>consumption) prevent absorption of a significant portion of those calories, or do they get absorbed
>within only a few moments of my eating them? I've heard someone somewhere say that syrup of ipecec
>can cause heart problems in some people, is this true? What's your source for your knowledge on
>that fact, too? Thank you for your input on this matter; I know there's a visceral reaction against
>inducing vomiting in modern society, but I'm not sure how much of it is based on science fact, and
>how much of it is based on emotional response.

You are either a troll... ... or you need to see a doctor - not to find out how to induce vomiting
but to address your problems with eating.

There is nothing that we can help you with in either case.

Ray
--
rmnsuk overall - 273/207/182

First off, this newsgroup is a great place to read about a healthy way of eating that could help
you. Second, to answer your question, NO. vomiting can Kill you in several different ways, not just
heart problems. Vomiting is a symptom of a dangerous eating disorder. Counseling can help. A good
healthy nutritious eating plan can help. No need to binge if your diet is adequate.

"Margaret Gardener" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello folks,
>
> I find I am able to keep a very good diet for five or six days in a row,
and
> then I lose control one evening and probably consume 3000 calories more
than
> I would metabolize, i.e. all my savings from eating well the previous almost-week are completely
> counteracted by my once a week gluttony. I eat till I'm full -- completely stuffed, and then I
> lose all interest in
eating
> and feel very very guilty. What I'd like to know is if there's a safe way
> induce vomiting. I'm aware it's somewhat risky if done often. But what if
> just do it once a week and make sure to scarf down water afterwards, brush my teeth and so forth?
> Would that (induced vomiting very shortly after over-consumption) prevent absorption of a
> significant portion of those calories, or do they get absorbed within only a few moments of my
> eating them? I've heard someone somewhere say that syrup of ipecec can cause
heart
> problems in some people, is this true? What's your source for your
knowledge
> on that fact, too? Thank you for your input on this matter; I know there's
> visceral reaction against inducing vomiting in modern society, but I'm not sure how much of it is
> based on science fact, and how much of it is based
on
> emotional response.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Marge

Alright folks, thank you for your answers even if they didn't help me. I understand you have
philosophical reasons to not answer my question. Is there a place on the Internet that will give me
the scientific answers I require? I'd like to know why vomiting kills. I'm not opposed to giving up
vomiting, but I nevertheless do want to learn from this experience something other than society's
visceral disgust with certain questions. I want an answer. Not a revulsion. I will ultimately do
what is healthiest.

Thanks for the effort,

Margaret

"Margaret Gardener" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello folks,
>
> I find I am able to keep a very good diet for five or six days in a row,
and
> then I lose control one evening and probably consume 3000 calories more
than
> I would metabolize, i.e. all my savings from eating well the previous almost-week are completely
> counteracted by my once a week gluttony. I eat till I'm full -- completely stuffed, and then I
> lose all interest in
eating
> and feel very very guilty. What I'd like to know is if there's a safe way
> induce vomiting. I'm aware it's somewhat risky if done often. But what if
> just do it once a week and make sure to scarf down water afterwards, brush my teeth and so forth?
> Would that (induced vomiting very shortly after over-consumption) prevent absorption of a
> significant portion of those calories, or do they get absorbed within only a few moments of my
> eating them? I've heard someone somewhere say that syrup of ipecec can cause
heart
> problems in some people, is this true? What's your source for your
knowledge
> on that fact, too? Thank you for your input on this matter; I know there's
> visceral reaction against inducing vomiting in modern society, but I'm not sure how much of it is
> based on science fact, and how much of it is based
on
> emotional response.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Marge

What you are describing is an eating disorder called Bulimia. Even if you are only doing it once a
week, it is still for the sake of losing weight and once again the disorder is called Bulimia. That
is what you should be looking up on the internet.

Debbie

"Margaret Gardener" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello folks,
>
> I find I am able to keep a very good diet for five or six days in a row,
and
> then I lose control one evening and probably consume 3000 calories more
than
> I would metabolize, i.e. all my savings from eating well the previous almost-week are completely
> counteracted by my once a week gluttony. I eat till I'm full -- completely stuffed, and then I
> lose all interest in
eating
> and feel very very guilty. What I'd like to know is if there's a safe way
> induce vomiting. I'm aware it's somewhat risky if done often. But what if
> just do it once a week and make sure to scarf down water afterwards, brush my teeth and so forth?
> Would that (induced vomiting very shortly after over-consumption) prevent absorption of a
> significant portion of those calories, or do they get absorbed within only a few moments of my
> eating them? I've heard someone somewhere say that syrup of ipecec can cause
heart
> problems in some people, is this true? What's your source for your
knowledge
> on that fact, too? Thank you for your input on this matter; I know there's
> visceral reaction against inducing vomiting in modern society, but I'm not sure how much of it is
> based on science fact, and how much of it is based
on
> emotional response.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Marge

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 12:38:34 -0800, "Margaret Gardener"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Alright folks, thank you for your answers even if they didn't help me. I understand you have
>philosophical reasons to not answer my question.

Philosophical reasons, no. Concerns about your health, yes. I really feel pointing out "safer" ways
to induce vomiting are morally questionable... since it reads to me that this will encourage you to
pursue this way of preserving your diet. This is not a habit you want to get into, believe me.

>Is there a place on the Internet that will give me the scientific answers I require? I'd like to
>know why vomiting kills. I'm not opposed to giving up vomiting, but I nevertheless do want to learn
>from this experience something other than society's visceral disgust with certain questions. I want
>an answer. Not a revulsion. I will ultimately do what is healthiest.

Here is a link for you: http://www.mamashealth.com/bulimia.asp

There is a revulsion to it for good reason. I don't want to overload you with negative feedback, but
what is healthiest is to eat more during the week (and day) so you are not pushed to the point of a
binge. If you are doing it for emotional reasons, then you need to get a hold of that - seek
counseling if necessary. The above link has a resources link at the bottom also.

Sarah Jahn

Hello Margaret,

I understand the group's reluctance to help you with your questions. Vomiting is considered an
eating disorder by most, including the medical profession, and we are all trying to get into
"normal" modes of eating. My main concern with vomiting, even if you only do it occasionally, is the
damage you'll eventually do to your esophagus, and teeth. When you vomit, the acid from the stomach
comes back up too. Acid destroys what it comes in contact with...that's why it digests the food in
the stomach.

Do you honestly want to do that to your body, even if it would help you maintain your weight?

If you want more information, just google "bulimia." That will tell you what you need to know.

Carol

318/234/169
84 lost since December 2002
I am a slim person in process.
"Margaret Gardener" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Alright folks, thank you for your answers even if they didn't help me. I
> understand you have philosophical reasons to not answer my question. Is
> there a place on the Internet that will give me the scientific answers I
> require? I'd like to know why vomiting kills. I'm not opposed to giving up
> vomiting, but I nevertheless do want to learn from this experience
something
> other than society's visceral disgust with certain questions. I want an
> answer. Not a revulsion. I will ultimately do what is healthiest.
>
> Thanks for the effort,
>
> Margaret
>
> "Margaret Gardener" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hello folks,
> >
> > I find I am able to keep a very good diet for five or six days in a row,
> and
> > then I lose control one evening and probably consume 3000 calories more
> than
> > I would metabolize, i.e. all my savings from eating well the previous
> > almost-week are completely counteracted by my once a week gluttony. I
eat
> > till I'm full -- completely stuffed, and then I lose all interest in
> eating
> > and feel very very guilty. What I'd like to know is if there's a safe
way
> > induce vomiting. I'm aware it's somewhat risky if done often. But what
if
> > just do it once a week and make sure to scarf down water afterwards,
brush
> > my teeth and so forth? Would that (induced vomiting very shortly after
> > over-consumption) prevent absorption of a significant portion of those
> > calories, or do they get absorbed within only a few moments of my eating
> > them? I've heard someone somewhere say that syrup of ipecec can cause
> heart
> > problems in some people, is this true? What's your source for your
> knowledge
> > on that fact, too? Thank you for your input on this matter; I know
there's
> > visceral reaction against inducing vomiting in modern society, but I'm
not
> > sure how much of it is based on science fact, and how much of it is
based
> on
> > emotional response.
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > Marge

first of all I don't mean to be rude but we did answer your questions. You
didn't like what the answers are, several of us on this group are medical
professionals or have made it our business to know about such topics before
we discuss them. If you are interested go and look up the long term effects
of anorexia. Now for my part, because of the medications I have had to take
I have very close experience with frequent vomiting. My doctors always
watched this very closely as they told me when you have something coming
back up the opposite of where it is supposed to go it damages cells in your
throat and can in some instances cause permanent scar tissue. I never
wanted to get sick it was a circumstance of my medical issues. And if this
does not make sense to you and you are not just trolling... Think of the
tissue in your throat as having a beautiful fur lining, when you eat all the
fur is in place, when you get ill, on purpose or otherwise, the fur becomes
"ruffled" like the fur on your cat or dog when you rub it backwards. This
will be my last post to you as I feel you do not want the advice we are
offering I just need to vent this last time. Lee

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I understand you have philosophical reasons to not answer my question. Is there a place on the
>Internet that will give me the scientific answers I require?

I think if you read the answers again you will find that we DID answer your questions. You may not
like the answer but the answer stands. It sounds like you have a serious eating disorder and you
need to get that sorted. Throwing your food up isn't an answer to losing weight. It will have
serious consequences both medically and psychologically.

Get help now before you start down this path.

Google on "bulimia" and "anorexia". You might also google on "pro anna" 'cos those websites indicate
where you might end up if you go down this path.

Ray
--
rmnsuk overall - 273/207/182

Thank you for your information Sarah. I respect your position and will read the link you provided.

-Margaret

news:[email protected]...