is there a small backpack that fits onto bike rack

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], May 22, 2008.

  1. Hi,
    I remember seeing one time a small light blue backpack, in the style
    used for schoolbooks, not hiking, that happened to have the
    attachments on it to fit onto a bike rack. Does anyone know of
    anything similar? I can't find anything on google except for a hiking
    backpack that turns into a pannier, and how to sew on a bungy cord to
    do the same thing.

    I just think it would be neat to commute with my few things and have a
    normal-looking backpack to pull off my bike.

    Thanks,
    Dan

    Tags:

  2. Garry Lee

    Garry Lee Guest

    A friend of mine used one for touring for years. Was made byKarrimor.

  3. On May 22, 11:28 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
    > In article
    > <[email protected]>,
    >
    >  [email protected] wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I remember seeing one time a small light blue backpack, in the style
    > > used for schoolbooks, not hiking, that happened to have the
    > > attachments on it to fit onto a bike rack.  Does anyone know of
    > > anything similar?  I can't find anything on google except for a hiking
    > > backpack that turns into a pannier, and how to sew on a bungy cord to
    > > do the same thing.

    > > I just think it would be neat to commute with my few things and have a
    > > normal-looking backpack to pull off my bike.

    > > Thanks,
    > > Dan

    > I'll let you judge normalcy, but...
    >
    > <http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524
    > 441778193&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302693353&bmUID=1211513147962>
    >
    > MEC Rackpack Backpack. It's a bike rack back with hidden backpack
    > straps, allowing it to convert into a practical but fairly narrow
    > backpack. It's not even expensive at C$33.
    >
    > --
    > Ryan Cousineau [email protected]://www.wiredcola.com/
    > "In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
    > "In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."

    OK MEC got me this which is more like what I was thinking about:
    MEC Cycling Pannier/Daypack

    Gary, looked at Karrimor's website, not sure I found anything good
    yet.

    Thanks all,
    Dan

  4. cmcanulty

    cmcanulty Guest

  5. Dan Burkhart

    Dan Burkhart New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2003
    Looking for something like this?

    http://www.cycleslambert.com/custom...amily=&result=15814&mark=17712&actions=result
    I have one in stock.
    Dan Burkhart
    www.boomerbicycle.ca

  6. Jenny Brien

    Jenny Brien Guest

  7. SMS

    SMS Guest

    cmcanulty wrote:
    > nashbar.com has a combination pack & pannier or make your own as I did
    > from this web site, very easy solution takes about 10-15 minutes
    > http://www.instructables.com/id/Backpack-panniers-that-are-still-backpacks/

    The Nashbar product really sucks. I have one. There is no real backpack
    section, you put your stuff into a stuff sack and kind of secure it with
    webbing into the pack. A ridiculous design.

    "http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=9036&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Show%20All%20Products"

  8. SMS

    SMS Guest

    neill.dano[email protected] wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I remember seeing one time a small light blue backpack, in the style
    > used for schoolbooks, not hiking, that happened to have the
    > attachments on it to fit onto a bike rack. Does anyone know of
    > anything similar? I can't find anything on google except for a hiking
    > backpack that turns into a pannier, and how to sew on a bungy cord to
    > do the same thing.
    >
    > I just think it would be neat to commute with my few things and have a
    > normal-looking backpack to pull off my bike.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dan

    "http://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/backpack/overview.asp?fl=1&site="

    Just be aware that the mounting system isn't the greatest. Depending on
    your shoe size, you may need to get a rack that will work well with this
    pack, by allowing it to be mounted far enough back. See
    "http://bicycleluggageracks.com/" for some good racks, and more
    information on using the Arkel Bug.

    Arkel needs to put some sort of fasteners near the bottom the bag that
    are not just in the center, because the bag pivots out from the top rail
    in wind, or over bumps, then slams into the wheel if the rack doesn’t
    have a strut pretty far back like the Jandd Expedition.

    The shock cord that comes all the way from the top and even when
    fastened it doesn’t help much. Standard panniers usually have a shock
    cord or strap that is attached near the bottom of the pannier that
    attaches to the rack near the bottom of the rack, but the Arkel Bug
    lacks this.

    The Arkel panniers, other than the Bug, have a better design for the
    shock cord hook, because there are multiple positions for the hook to go
    through, rather than just through the center as on the Bug, so it can
    attach to the bottom of the rear rack even when the attachment point on
    the rack is not in the center. The instruction sheet that comes with the
    Bug is the same as for the other panniers and mentions the multiple
    positions for the hook. I was looking for the multiple positions for the
    hook that were mentioned in the instructions and couldn’t find them. I
    called Arkel because I believed I had received a unit that was
    defective, but they explained that the Bug didn’t have those multiple
    positions because it would interfere somehow with the backpack function.
    Return to Table of Contents

  9. Martin

    Martin Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I remember seeing one time a small light blue backpack, in the style
    > used for schoolbooks, not hiking, that happened to have the
    > attachments on it to fit onto a bike rack. Does anyone know of
    > anything similar? I can't find anything on google except for a hiking
    > backpack that turns into a pannier, and how to sew on a bungy cord to
    > do the same thing.
    >
    > I just think it would be neat to commute with my few things and have a
    > normal-looking backpack to pull off my bike.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dan

    I have looked at this one
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/3kr7t2

    I didn't like the long zipper that attaches the outer cover to the
    backpack. The outer cover covers the shoulder straps and supports the
    hooks that attach to the rack. It has to be rolled up and stowed in a
    compartment under the backpack. It didn't look very durable to me.

    Martin

    --
    Removed z before replying by email.