Is there another way to watch the tour other than Versus?

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by sgort2, Jun 22, 2011.

1. sgort2

sgort2 New Member

Are there any other networks other than Versus that will be showing the tour? Anything on line? Roku? Apple TV? Anything?

Tags:

2. pennstater

pennstater New Member

I think Versus will have live coverage of the tour online. I'm not sure if it is free or not, but if you don't want to spend money you can try the link below for live stage coverage and replays of stages. You might also want to try universal sports. I got the Giro package and was content with their coverage. I don't know if they have any rights to cover the TDF though.

http://www.steephill.tv/tour-de-france/#live

3. DVNDSN

DVNDSN New Member

I have heard that last year Versus charged to watch it live. Is that the case this year as well? Steephill seems to be a good website, but it looks a little confusing to me, and I'm pretty internet savvy. From what I understand, being in the US and on Central Standard Time, I will have to get up at 4:30am to watch the tour on Steephill live.

4. pennstater

pennstater New Member

For me, f I didn't have Versus, but the tour was offered online through versus with live coverage and online replays, I would probably just purchase their package. If it costs $20 (ballpark number) for the coverage, that is still only a dollar a day. In regard to steephill, there will probably be replays of the stages available at other times throughout the day. Steephill will provide links to those feeds. The only problem with watching cycling online is sometimes it is hard to find English feeds or the feeds are restricted by region. I've never watched the tour online, and since it is the biggest race there might be more feeds available, so it might not be an issue. I would expect an available link to British Eurosport coverage.

Here in the U.S the stages do start early, but don't forget, stages can be 4,5,6+ hours long. I love cycling, but I won't subject myself to watch a whole stage live, especially a flat stage that has sprint finish written all over it. I suggest you sleep in a tad, and watch the last hour or two of coverage.

5. ccallana

ccallana New Member

The stages usually finish around 8 or 8:30 pacific time.

I watched some of the live online coverage last year - it wasn't bad - but there was no free option for time-delayed viewing in the US. I think if you want that, you have to pay for Versus online deal. I want to say it was like $25 last year.

I've watched the Eurosport coverage and it is pretty good - you don't get Paul and Phil, but you do get Sean Kelly :)

6. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

One of this site I been watching it on has been seized by Homeland Security. Time for plan B.

7. MattFazz

MattFazz New Member

Versus is showing live daily coverage starting at 8am EST, they are also offering the online 'all access' coverage for $29.99, but it's not available yet. It's at nbcsports.com/cycling and listed as coming soon.

8. Scott2468

Scott2468 Member

9. rizz

rizz New Member