Is There Any Bike Which Can Be Used Both On Roads And Mountains?

Mountainbikers

Sep 28, 2015
I want to buy a bike which can be used both in roads and mountains according. please suggest me if any one know.

There's no law---not even an unwritten rule---that says that you can't ride a mountain bike on the road. :D

Seriously, a couple of years ago I did a full 100 mile club ride, in a group that had a guy riding a full suspension 29-er. He averaged damn near 20 mph for the ride.

Mountains can be ridden on road bikes as well. Though I assume the question was really about paved, vs unpaved/trail usage.

Top 10 RAAM finisher, State Road Champion, STRAVA yearly elevation climbed No. 1 and Cat. 1 raced, Brian Toone, has ridden unpaved fire roads, single track and cow paths on his TREK Madone with carbon fiber 50 MM wheels.

Just sayin'...

They old saying, "If it does 'everything', it does nothing well.", comes to mind though.

mpre53, one of the kids I train with used his 26" hardtail on a 50-mile road ride we did. I don't know if his front end locked out or not. IIRC we averaged around 18 MPH and he was working hard, but had no trouble keeping up with the road bikes. It can be done if you have the legs.

No reason why you cannot ride both surface conditions on a mountain bike. Although with the chunky tyres you will experience a bit of a performance hit when you get to road riding.

There might be a sort of hybrid tire out there that is more suited for both surfaces, like a sort of less chunky mountain bike tire that might be worth looking for. I might have to check my local shop now that I think about it.

Your best bet is to go with a mountain bike, since it will also do just fine on the road. You could look for an actual hybrid bike, but you'd probably do just as well with hybrid tires on a mountain bike.

Susimi said:
No reason why you cannot ride both surface conditions on a mountain bike. Although with the chunky tyres you will experience a bit of a performance hit when you get to road riding.

There might be a sort of hybrid tire out there that is more suited for both surfaces, like a sort of less chunky mountain bike tire that might be worth looking for. I might have to check my local shop now that I think about it.
Only takes a couple of minutes to swap out tires. You can buy slicks, or regular tread tires, in MTB sizes. I have a hybrid MTB/cruiser with 38 mm tires. Non-aggressive tread.

mpre53 said:
Only takes a couple of minutes to swap out tires. You can buy slicks, or regular tread tires, in MTB sizes. I have a hybrid MTB/cruiser with 38 mm tires. Non-aggressive tread.
That I did not know!

I knew you could get slicks for MTB's but the impression I got were that they were a lot slimmed down, not the actual MTB size.

Lean something new every day :)

PanjoJames said:
cyclocross with bigger tires?
Just discovered these bikes were a thing yesterday while looking around my local shop.

They seem to be a perfect balance for what the OP wants to do really.

Well, a mountain bike is your best bet. You can even use a BMX but that's far from the most efficient bike for mountain biking, or travelling large road distances. But I must admit, BMX bikes are a lot of fun if you get into them.