Is There any point in Cycle Shorts?

funkytwig

Sep 19, 2007
I am just about to cycle the Camino de Santiago in Spain. To get in shape I have been doing 40 mile rides a couple of times a week. I have a very good/padded gell saddle. I first ride I went on I used a pair of loose fitting shorts (without padding) and they were extremely comfortable. I then tried a pair of padded cycle shorts and they were not comfortable at all. Maybe my saddle is padded enough to not need cycle shorts or am I missing something. Is there any point in me using cycle shorts?

If you're comfortable in what you wear that's fine. I find that 'cycling' shorts do provide some function. Loose shorts, for me at any rate, sometime tend to gather and bind whereas spandex does not. As far as padding in cycling shorts, there are some with a gel chamois and others with minimal padding. I've tried the gel chamois and find it's too much padding.

Please search this forum and help reduce global warming by minimizing the amount of bandwidth on the internet. This topic has been covered far too many times to regurgitate all the good info. Thank you.

People appear to be very, very afraid to use the search function. Apparently it lessens manliness. Or womanliness, as the case may be. :D

In any event, I recommend that you wear really, really baggy shorts and go for increasingly long rides in hot weather. After all, all those silly cyclists must wear tight shorts because they are all gay. :rolleyes:

I honestly believe that most of the casual riders don't really benefit from the shorts in any real way.

At the pro/serious level; you want ever advantage - and bicycling shorts give you a (small) advantage. But people emulate pros and spend a lot of money on things they don't need.

a co-worker of mine just started riding and was asking some of the more knowledgeable (but all, very much amateur) riders for advice on a road bicycle. They were looking at two bicycles; side-by-side. One was about $300 dollars cheaper and weight 22.8 pounds, the more expensive one weighed 19.something. "Yeah, I dunno man, 22.8 is pretty heavy for a road bike".

The bicycle was for a guy who had to be, at least, 20 pounds overweight. He'd be riding into work with spare tube, tools, hand pump, water, his work clothes, dress shoes, etc...but he really thought it was a good idea to pay $300 dollars more to essentially reduce the weight of the bicycle by 3-4 pounds.

I'm guessing he's 180 lbs + everything he'll carry = 190. Plus the weight of the bicycle (either 19 or 23) and you get 109-113 pounds. A complete newbie to riding just paid $300 dollars because he wanted to reduce his riding weight by 3%.

I feel like bicycle shorts are the same. If you are comfortable with what you've got that's what matters for 90% of all bicycle riders. If you are concerned about being able to ride as far or as fast; or if you've tried them and simply prefer bicycle shorts - then sure, pay the extra money for them.

They aren't needed, but there is a point to them.

EDIT: God - I'm retarded this morning. The total weight should be between 209 and 213. The weight reduction should be 1.8%

For me, cycling shorts were one of those things that before I got some I didn't think they'd help much, but once I started wearing them I'll never ride without them.

capwater said:
Please search this forum and help reduce global warming by minimizing the amount of bandwidth on the internet. This topic has been covered far too many times to regurgitate all the good info. Thank you.
You have GOT to be kidding me. :confused::confused::confused: Reduce global warming by minimizing bandwidth on the Internet????? :eek:

Uhh, exactly how will this work?

heh.

you have to think about your type of riding to determine if bike shorts are of any benefit. i'll tell you this much, it makes a world of difference to me. but i'm not riding a comfort bike with a padded seat. but i'm not mocking those who do. i just like to keep up with my riding pals and they ride fast bikes so i do as well.

capwater said:
I have done a search and did find some stuff about cycle shorts but nothing talking about if there was any point if other shorts were OK. My question is specific, if I find cycling 40 miles a couple of days a week comfortable with non cycle shorts will there be much difference when cycling for three weeks.

I should add that the shorts I have a very thin single layer shorts without pockets which are fairly short, they don't even have a pocket.

what kind of bike are you riding? that might make a difference. and the short answer is that almost all of us wear bikes shorts primarily because we have found them to make an enormous difference. if you don't want to try them, then don't. but if you're asking if we feel you'd be better off w/a pair of bike-specific shorts on a long ride, then the overwhelming majority of responses will likely be yes!

funkytwig said:
I have done a search and did find some stuff about cycle shorts but nothing talking about if there was any point if other shorts were OK. My question is specific, if I find cycling 40 miles a couple of days a week comfortable with non cycle shorts will there be much difference when cycling for three weeks.

I should add that the shorts I have a very thin single layer shorts without pockets which are fairly short, they don't even have a pocket.
FWIW. I currently wear light (rugby-type) hiking shorts when I ride in warm-and-hot weather ... and, generally only wear cycling shorts in cool & cold weather (for warmth).

For those who might be interested, I used to wear Protogs OR regular gym shorts ... AND, for those who might want to know, the chamois cream is to maintain the chamois (i.e., from eventually "drying out" after repeated washings) more than anything else & using chamois cream on a synthetic chamois in a pair of contemporary cycling shorts is a bit ludicrous, IMO ... but, if marketing means that the manufacturers can continue to sell an obsolete product, well, more power to them!

BTW. I ride on either San Marco Concor saddles OR traditional leather saddles.

BobH said:
You have GOT to be kidding me. :confused::confused::confused: Reduce global warming by minimizing bandwidth on the Internet????? :eek:

Uhh, exactly how will this work?
I think there was a high, make that extremely high, degree of sarcasm in his post.

Lighten up Francis!!
capwater said:

I have ridden in everthing except for a kilt (or dress) and have not experienced any discomfort, blisters, or chafing. I also look ridiculous in traditional cycling shorts. Wear what you want, and figure out for yourself what is comfortable and what is not.

To everone else, a lot of these topics do get covered ad nauseum, but the search function of this forum is not really user freindly and is difficult to find for most noobs and many veteran users!

I've never riden with 'biker' clothes. Actually, I like to ride the same way I did when I was a kid - just regular shorts and a t-shirt. Recently though, and I'll just get this right out in the open (sry ladies), my 'balls' are starting to hurt some and get a little sensitive. I'm not quite sure why except to think that my underwear is pulling a little when I'm in pedaling position. So, I guess I'll have to give in and wear spandex. Does anyone know if there's a good way to wear regular shorts and not get any pain or pull? Maybe a jock?

bioWheel

WELL SAID!! It is about time I find someone else who feels this way. While picking out my road bike at a local shop (just bought it today - I am pumped!!) I basically had the same discussion. Pay $300 more to save 3 pounds. I told them I am 210 already plus my clothes plus my backpack, rack, panniers, and everything in and on them will put me at probably around 250 and then the bike is putting me at 270 or 273 and I am like at that point how much can 3 pounds really matter? I am biking casually and for me I can take a good **** and lose 3 pounds or drink a large glass of water (or maybe 2) and gain 3 pounds so if I am that worried I can just **** before I leave for school. He is like "well 3 pounds can make a huge different, it can really make it a lot easier to pedal" and I was mentally like "fing ahole"

</rant>

Edudbor said:
I honestly believe that most of the casual riders don't really benefit from the shorts in any real way.

At the pro/serious level; you want ever advantage - and bicycling shorts give you a (small) advantage. But people emulate pros and spend a lot of money on things they don't need.

a co-worker of mine just started riding and was asking some of the more knowledgeable (but all, very much amateur) riders for advice on a road bicycle. They were looking at two bicycles; side-by-side. One was about $300 dollars cheaper and weight 22.8 pounds, the more expensive one weighed 19.something. "Yeah, I dunno man, 22.8 is pretty heavy for a road bike".

The bicycle was for a guy who had to be, at least, 20 pounds overweight. He'd be riding into work with spare tube, tools, hand pump, water, his work clothes, dress shoes, etc...but he really thought it was a good idea to pay $300 dollars more to essentially reduce the weight of the bicycle by 3-4 pounds.

I'm guessing he's 180 lbs + everything he'll carry = 190. Plus the weight of the bicycle (either 19 or 23) and you get 109-113 pounds. A complete newbie to riding just paid $300 dollars because he wanted to reduce his riding weight by 3%.

I feel like bicycle shorts are the same. If you are comfortable with what you've got that's what matters for 90% of all bicycle riders. If you are concerned about being able to ride as far or as fast; or if you've tried them and simply prefer bicycle shorts - then sure, pay the extra money for them.

They aren't needed, but there is a point to them.

EDIT: God - I'm retarded this morning. The total weight should be between 209 and 213. The weight reduction should be 1.8%

I disagree about the shorts. While it's true that +-3 lbs bike weight is irrelevant for most recreational cyclists, if you ride distances longer than 5-7 miles, you will notice a major difference in comfort by using cycling-specific shorts.

If i'd had to come up with a top-5 accesories for a cyclist my list would be:

1) Helmet (just b/c its mandatory)
2) Cycling shorts
3) etc.

Cycling shorts, if you ride often (more than once a week) or more than 6-7 miles at a time, DO make sense.

I had to get cycling shorts out of necessity. I was getting boils on my ass. Not pretty - didn't feel to good either.
Main reason for needing bike shorts was to soak up the sweat so I'm not sitting and rubbing in a puddle of it. That can, and has, only ended in nastiness.

It has also meant I can spend longer on the saddle before getting too sore.
It used to be about 45 minutes before I start developing blisters. Now it's about 5 hours before I need to sit on something soft like a couch.

Regarding the extra $300 - yes the weight difference is nothing, but the bike would be a touch nicer, and if you have that money to spend, then why not? Doesn't make much difference but it's nice to have. I think once you get to a certain price point, you move beyond needs and into wants. If you have the cash, get the wants.

From what everyone says; I think I'm going to try out a pair of riding shorts. It sounds like they are a lot more functional that I knew.

Also, my comments about the bicycle weights doesn't mean I think people shouldn't buy more expensive bicycles if they want them. I just feel like, sometimes, beginners who don't really understand the amount of performance gain they'll get spend money on things that aren't important to them because they feel like they need it.