Is there anyway to fix a bicycle tyre that has a small cut?

Dexter49

Oct 10, 2014
I have slicks a shard of glass penetrated the center of the Tyre (which contacts the road).
Luckily, it didn't puncture the inner tube, but once I pulled the glass out, it has left a 6mm x 0.4mm cut in the Tyre across the tread.

I am worried that the rip might increase as the Tyre expands and contracts from heat, moisture and general pressure.
Is there anything I can do to repair the cut?

If it's only in the rubber, you can either try glueing it shut with superglue, or simply ignore it and ride. If it's gone through the textile casing(threads showing in the cut) you can either try using a "boot"(something non-stretchy) as a liner over the cut on the inside. Or inflate and watch for bulging. No bulging, ride, but inspect regularly.

A 3-4" of an old tire, with beads removed, is the traditional, planned boot. For improvisation, pretty much anything goes as long as it isn't stretchy. Dollar bills, candy bar wrappers, piece of Tyvek, cloth...

Recently had the same problem with 2 different tires. One GP4000S which has a tear on the sidewall and the tube was swelling out and one on a Maxxis Detonator which had a cut on the off-centre compound and you could kinda see the tube pushing out.

I had to do a "century" on Sunday and had no time to buy a new tire, so I booted the GP4000s since it seemed? the most puncture resistant of the two.

Instead of using bills, cloths etc, I got some of these pre-made tire boots: Did the century just fine with no flats.
smile.png

Needless to say that this is not a permanent fix and it's just to keep the bike rolling in low speeds etc until the tire is replaced.
wink.png

The Park boot patches work ok but only for a short while because the casing is rough and no amount of sanding will make it smooth thus the patches adhere for a month or two then come loose, but they will allow you to get home and then some. However there is no need to use a boot patch if the treads aren't compromised.

The other thing I do is add Shoe Goo to the outside of the tire to fill in the cuts whether or not I need to use a boot. I use to use Super Glue but companies weakened Super glue type of glues so much it no longer works well.

Originally Posted by Froze
The Park boot patches work ok but only for a short while because the casing is rough and no amount of sanding will make it smooth thus the patches adhere for a month or two then come loose, but they will allow you to get home and then some. However there is no need to use a boot patch if the treads aren't compromised.

Actually they work pretty well... I have the booted tire with them on the bike for about a month now and had about 300km with it.

Originally Posted by Volnix

Actually they work pretty well... I have the booted tire with them on the bike for about a month now and had about 300km with it.
I did say about a month or two. Not sure if miles has anything to do with how long they'll stay on but I had about 1000 to 1500 miles when the patch let go. If the tire stays inflated the patch will stay against the hole for as long as the tire lasts, but if you have a flat and go to fix the tire the patch will fall off once the air pressure is no longer exerting pressure to hold the patch against the tire. The first flat I had it stayed on, but about a flat or two later is when it fell off.

An expensive thought Ambal. If the cut is small and the tire is in good shape otherwise there is no need to go buy another tire unless you have money oozing out of your pores. If the tire is well worn it may be time to replace but even then if money is tight and you need the tire to last another month so you can get a tire then the boot fix is fine for that too.

Originally Posted by ambal
You could always just buy a new tyre.

I got another tire...
big-smile.png
A Maxxis Detonator with S(h)itworm Protection®.
big-smile.png
200km on the tire it got some nasty deep cuts on the "side compound" and had 2 flats in two days.

Was also thinking of booting that one. The booted tire now is kinda new-ish (2000km).

Should probably get a new pair of tires but I cant decide... Plus I have a kinda hurt rib so I can't go that fast or far anyway.
big-smile.png

Btw, the list is down to:

1. Specialized Roubaix. (the "pro" version?)
2. Conti Gator Hardshell.
3. A crate of Kenda tires.
big-smile.png

What do you think?

Originally Posted by Volnix

I got another tire...
big-smile.png
A Maxxis Detonator with S(h)itworm Protection®.
big-smile.png
200km on the tire it got some nasty deep cuts on the "side compound" and had 2 flats in two days.

Was also thinking of booting that one. The booted tire now is kinda new-ish (2000km).

Should probably get a new pair of tires but I cant decide... Plus I have a kinda hurt rib so I can't go that fast or far anyway.
big-smile.png

Btw, the list is down to:

1. Specialized Roubaix. (the "pro" version?)
2. Conti Gator Hardshell.
3. A crate of Kenda tires.
big-smile.png

What do you think?
If you want to stop the nonsense of cuts and flats of the 3 you mentioned get the Hardshell. The Specialized equal to the Hardshell is the Armadillo All Condition tire not the Roubaix. Which is better of those two, argumentative I would say the Armadillo but I haven't tried the new one to know for sure.

If you want to stop the nonsense of cuts and flats of the 3 you mentioned get the Hardshell. The Specialized equal to the Hardshell is the Armadillo All Condition tire not the Roubaix. Which is better of those two, argumentative I would say the Armadillo but I haven't tried the new one to know for sure.

That's the thing... I was also eyeing the Conti Hardshell but after reading what the "elders of the internet"
big-smile.png
say, they also have sidewall problems (for the simple Gatorskins) and also read somewhere that the tire can get "ripped" off the bead...

I had a pair of Spec. Espoir training tires which were stock on the bike when I got it. I had about 5000km with them with no problems. They only had a few small cuts. I kinda changed them because I got really bored with them and wanted something "faster" and "nicer".
big-smile.png
(Didn't that go well?
big-smile.png
)

So the Roubaix tires seem to be even stronger then the Espoir ones...

Btw there a few "Armadillo" tires. They make an "Armadillo Roubaix", an "Armadillo All condition" etc.

They are pretty light actually and they don't seem bad at all. Will also match the bike.
big-smile.png
120tpi too... (Hopefully on a single layer and not 2 layers of 60tpi.
big-smile.png
They are two layers of 60tpi aren't they?
big-smile.png
)

The Armadillo All Condition is their most flat resistant tire, they do make a All Condition Reflect which is the same tire but adds a reflective strip on the tire's sidewalls.

Not sure about the 60 TPI thing you mentioned, you could write Specialized and ask them that question.

Not sure about the 60 TPI thing you mentioned, you could write Specialized and ask them that question.

Spec. is so cool that they answer all their customer questions in an open forum now...
big-smile.png

Won't bother, probably gonna check them at the LBS or something.

Btw... These are also available!
smile.png
Nice???????
smile.png

Challenge Paris - Roubaix.

http://www.challengetech.it/products/road/paris-roubaix-006/en

Panaracer Ribmo.

http://www.panaracer.com/urban.php