Is there really THAT much difference in cm size?

Idahospud

Nov 12, 2006
I am looking at a Giant FCR2 and have been told by LBS that I would do fine on a 54-55 cm bike.
I saw a Giant FCR2 on Ebay and it is a large fram which I assume is a 56-57cm bike.
I am a 5'8" female that doesn't need a women's specific bike b/c I have a long torso, a bit of an ape, I am afraid LOL!
Does 1 or 2 cm's REALLY matter that much????

Thanks -

Idahospud said:
I am looking at a Giant FCR2 and have been told by LBS that I would do fine on a 54-55 cm bike.
I saw a Giant FCR2 on Ebay and it is a large fram which I assume is a 56-57cm bike.
I am a 5'8" female that doesn't need a women's specific bike b/c I have a long torso, a bit of an ape, I am afraid LOL!
Does 1 or 2 cm's REALLY matter that much????

Thanks -
Yes, it really matters that much. Sounds like you need a "Medium" if you go for a Giant. The TCR has an "M/L", but even that is probably too big for you. (I'm a 5'9" male and the M/L TCR was a bit too big for me.) Test ride at your LBS and make sure. Ride some other brands too, before you make a decision. That will probably mean visiting more than one LBS. Ride a Trek, a LeMond, etc. Talk to the staff...the one's with experience, that is.

Regarding eBay, be aware of pervasive fraud in bike listings....things like "second chance" offers from people other than the person with the initial listing. Having said that, I and two of my sons have bought bikes via eBay, but only one involved purchase and shipping; the others we picked up directly from the seller. There are lots of bike listings on eBay. Try doing a search for bikes within 50 miles or so of your address. (Setting is on left side of the screen.)
I recently identified three local bikes from different nearby eBayers, test rode all three, checked their condition, then bought my Aegis Aro Svelte; got a great deal with no chance of fraud, which given what bikes cost is a real concern. Plus no shipping. If the bike of your dreams isn't listed today, look again tomorrow. They're like busses....if you miss one, another will be along soon. Or.....if you like what your LBS has to offer, then purchase from them.....but get a bike that's right for you!

OldGoat said:
Yes, it really matters that much. Sounds like you need a "Medium" if you go for a Giant. The TCR has an "M/L", but even that is probably too big for you. (I'm a 5'9" male and the M/L TCR was a bit too big for me.) Test ride at your LBS and make sure. Ride some other brands too, before you make a decision. That will probably mean visiting more than one LBS. Ride a Trek, a LeMond, etc. Talk to the staff...the one's with experience, that is.

Regarding eBay, be aware of pervasive fraud in bike listings....things like "second chance" offers from people other than the person with the initial listing. Having said that, I and two of my sons have bought bikes via eBay, but only one involved purchase and shipping; the others we picked up directly from the seller. There are lots of bike listings on eBay. Try doing a search for bikes within 50 miles or so of your address. (Setting is on left side of the screen.)
I recently identified three local bikes from different nearby eBayers, test rode all three, checked their condition, then bought my Aegis Aro Svelte; got a great deal with no chance of fraud, which given what bikes cost is a real concern. Plus no shipping. If the bike of your dreams isn't listed today, look again tomorrow. They're like busses....if you miss one, another will be along soon. Or.....if you like what your LBS has to offer, then purchase from them.....but get a bike that's right for you!
Thanks for your suggestions. I don't want to end up with something that is not the right size for me. I am pretty new to this. I have been fitted for a couple of bikes and run about 54cm for a bike.
Unfortunately, where I live is pretty rural. If I did a search for bikes in my area on EBay, I'd have to go 200 miles to find bikes in my area- LOL
Pretty much all that we have around here are potatoes, and they don't make for a nice ride.
Your post gives me much to think about.

200km sounded like a really solid training ride, even amongst potatoes... ;)

I am the same height and rides a 53cm compact frame comfortably (centre-BB to top of seat-tube). So yes, going to 56 would be too large. My last bike was one size too large and I hated riding it for the last decade and more.

Please, please, please for your own happiness' sake ... get to a couple of bike shops and try out various frame sizes. Because it is really important to get the right frame size for your body (torso length, inseam, arm length etc).

If you are going to spend on a bike, for gawd's sake get one you will fit on like your feet fit into your favourite pair of shoes. It will make a huge difference to your happiness.