Is there something wrong with my bottom bracket?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Baelwulfe, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. Baelwulfe

    Baelwulfe Guest

    I've been riding my new Giant NRS 3 until I my legs can't pedal anymore. Lately after riding hard
    for a while I notice a racheting sound when I pedal. It only happens when I'm on my downstroke on
    the right hand pedal. Every time I take it to my LBS it stops doing it, and they tell me nothing
    wrong. Thought I would run this by AMB for a second oppinion.

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. I think there is something wrong with your pedal.

    regads "Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I've been riding my new Giant NRS 3 until I my legs can't pedal
    anymore.
    > Lately after riding hard for a while I notice a racheting sound when I pedal. It only happens when
    > I'm on my downstroke on the right hand pedal. Every time I take it to my LBS it stops doing it,
    > and they tell me nothing wrong. Thought I would run this by AMB for a second oppinion.
    >

    > Thanks

  3. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > I've been riding my new Giant NRS 3 until I my legs can't pedal
    anymore.
    > Lately after riding hard for a while I notice a racheting sound when I pedal. It only happens when
    > I'm on my downstroke on the right hand pedal. Every time I take it to my LBS it stops doing it,
    > and they tell me nothing wrong. Thought I would run this by AMB for a second oppinion.
    >

    > Thanks

    A quick way to check your BB is to drop the chain off the chainrings (onto the bb shell) so the
    cranks spin freely. Then put your ear to the nose of your saddle and spin the cranks. You should
    hear a whoosh-whoosh sound if the BB is ok. Any clicking, grinding or other 'bad' sounds and
    well y'know.

    If the BB is ok then check your pedals, chainring bolts, crank bolts, seatpost, shock pivots, and
    rear QR skewer for looseness..

    Mike

  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Jansen Danganan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I think there is something wrong with your pedal.

    That was my first thought too...pull the pedal apart, regrease the spindle, and slap it back
    together. Maybe that'll do it.

    Chris

  5. Baelwulfe

    Baelwulfe Guest

    "> A quick way to check your BB is to drop the chain off the chainrings (onto
    > the bb shell) so the cranks spin freely. Then put your ear to the nose of your saddle and spin the
    > cranks. You should hear a whoosh-whoosh sound if the BB is ok. Any clicking, grinding or other
    > 'bad' sounds and well
    y'know.

    > If the BB is ok then check your pedals, chainring bolts, crank bolts, seatpost, shock pivots, and
    > rear QR skewer for looseness..
    >
    > Mike

    Well I cleaned up my pedals and then droped my chain off the chain rings. When I spun the pedals I
    heard a clicking sound at the same spot everytime in the crank rotation. I also noticed a lot of
    side to side movement in my crank.

    and thanks for all the help so far