Is there such a thing as Schredar to Presta Adapter?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Me, Jun 3, 2003.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    Hi, I know I can buy a Schrader valve (i.e. car tires) to presta valve adapters, but does anyone
    know if there is an adapter that works in reverse?

    Curious as I have a really nice road frame pump that I've had for ages and its presta only and I
    would like to be able to use it on my new tandem that for reason I wont go into here I've decided to
    run Schrader valves on.

    cheers

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I know I can buy a Schrader valve (i.e. car tires) to presta valve adapters, but does anyone
    > know if there is an adapter that works in
    reverse?

    > Curious as I have a really nice road frame pump that I've had for ages and its presta only and I
    > would like to be able to use it on my new tandem
    that
    > for reason I wont go into here I've decided to run Schrader valves on.
    >
    > cheers

  3. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I know I can buy a Schrader valve (i.e. car tires) to presta valve adapters, but does anyone
    > know if there is an adapter that works in
    reverse?

    > Curious as I have a really nice road frame pump that I've had for ages and its presta only and I
    > would like to be able to use it on my new tandem
    that
    > for reason I wont go into here I've decided to run Schrader valves on.
    >
    > cheers

    Yes there is. The one I have came with a Silca type pump head kit. You can get one here

    http://www.biketoolsetc.com/ and search for 'SI-2220'.

    Mike

  4. Jt

    Jt Guest

    > "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi, I know I can buy a Schrader valve (i.e. car tires) to presta valve adapters, but does anyone
    > > know if there is an adapter that works in
    > reverse?
    > >
    > > Curious as I have a really nice road frame pump that I've had for ages
    and
    > > its presta only and I would like to be able to use it on my new tandem
    > that
    > > for reason I wont go into here I've decided to run Schrader valves on.
    > >
    > > cheers
    > >

    > Yes there is. The one I have came with a Silca type pump head kit. You
    can
    > get one here
    >
    > http://www.biketoolsetc.com/ and search for 'SI-2220'.

    There are good ones and bad ones; the link does not say enough to tell which one this is.

    The bad ones are just a bit of brass with the right threadings on each end.

    The good ones have a valve-depresser for the schraeder end and an internal valve.

    The bad ones are bad because they don't work.

    I know because I have both types.

  5. Gary Young

    Gary Young Guest

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi, I know I can buy a Schrader valve (i.e. car tires) to presta valve adapters, but does anyone
    > know if there is an adapter that works in reverse?
    >
    > Curious as I have a really nice road frame pump that I've had for ages and its presta only and I
    > would like to be able to use it on my new tandem that for reason I wont go into here I've decided
    > to run Schrader valves on.
    >
    > cheers

    http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=217106290916&d=single&c=Tire%20Tube&sc=Accessories&tc=Valv-
    e%20Adaptors&item_id=SI-2220

  6. Gary Young

    Gary Young Guest

    "jt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hi, I know I can buy a Schrader valve (i.e. car tires) to presta valve adapters, but does
    > > > anyone know if there is an adapter that works in
    > reverse?
    > > >
    > > > Curious as I have a really nice road frame pump that I've had for ages
    > and
    > > > its presta only and I would like to be able to use it on my new tandem
    > that
    > > > for reason I wont go into here I've decided to run Schrader valves on.
    > > >
    > > > cheers
    > > >

    > > Yes there is. The one I have came with a Silca type pump head kit. You
    > can
    > > get one here
    > >
    > > http://www.biketoolsetc.com/ and search for 'SI-2220'.
    > >

    > There are good ones and bad ones; the link does not say enough to tell which one this is.
    >
    > The bad ones are just a bit of brass with the right threadings on each end.
    >
    > The good ones have a valve-depresser for the schraeder end and an internal valve.
    >
    > The bad ones are bad because they don't work.
    >
    > I know because I have both types.

    I have the one from BikeToolsEtc. It has a valve-depresser at the Schraeder end. I don't know about
    the internal valve. It seems to work fine, although I've only had call to use it twice.

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I know I can buy a Schrader valve (i.e. car tires) to presta valve adapters, but does anyone
    > know if there is an adapter that works in
    reverse?

    > Curious as I have a really nice road frame pump that I've had for ages and its presta only and I
    > would like to be able to use it on my new tandem
    that
    > for reason I wont go into here I've decided to run Schrader valves on.

    Of course! Please see: www.yellowjersey.org/NUVALVE.HTML

    (we call them adapteurs polonaises)

  8. H. Guy

    H. Guy Guest

    back in ancient times when i needed presta for me and schrader for my gf's bike, i went to the local
    schwinn shop (that's how long ago this was), got a standard schrader replacement hose with the chuck
    on the end, hacked the presta valve from an inner tube and clamped it onto the end of the hose
    opposite the chuck with an auto hose clamp and presto! er, presta!

    i think i still have this thing hanging around.