Is there such a thing or pedal?

ironviet

May 12, 2007
I have a Fuji Team Pro road bike with speedplay pedals which work awesome since I have torn my meniscus and mcl in my knees. The pedals are very small and work well only with cleats. I sometimes ride 6 long blocks to campus but would like to ride them these short distances without putting on my cycling shoes and cleats. Is there an adapter or clip that would make the pedal a little bit larger so I can do this or do I have to buy those cheap flat pedals to serve this purpose?

Winwood or Dimension make them for Look and SPD but I'm not sure about Speedplay. Although you might be able to use the Look version as the Speedplay initially mount with three bolts. You will need to buy an extra set of cleats but the adapter should only cost around $20. If you google "Winwood Instep Adapters" it will give you an idea of what I mean. Or you can call your LBS and ask if they have any. Good Luck

hey thanks this was exactly what i was looking for except they don't ave a adapter for the speedplay lollipop type pedals. i've tried riding with the pedals they way they are the they are killing my feet let alone folding my soles of my runnin shoes over. thanks for the response though, it gives me an idea that there is something like that out there

Call or email Speedplay. I've seen such things for Speedplay, but I can't remember where I saw them.

I'd buy a cheapo bike, anything good enough to have clipless pedals would get stollen at just about any Uni/colledge I know of!
Won't matter as much if it gets rained on all day, and you can jump curbs without having to worry about your nice wheels. I'm considering getting a BMX with a long seat post for something similar. Doen't need to be fast as I'm not going far, just faster than walking. Smaller the better for storage and fitting onto commuter trains. If ti gets stollen its only a few hundred $$$$s not a few thousand.

ironviet said:
hey thanks this was exactly what i was looking for except they don't ave a adapter for the speedplay lollipop type pedals. i've tried riding with the pedals they way they are the they are killing my feet let alone folding my soles of my runnin shoes over. thanks for the response though, it gives me an idea that there is something like that out there
If you can't find anything you should try to make the look adapters work. I bet with a little modification you could get speedplay cleats on there. Good Luck.

Phill P said:
I'd buy a cheapo bike, anything good enough to have clipless pedals would get stollen at just about any Uni/colledge I know of!
Won't matter as much if it gets rained on all day, and you can jump curbs without having to worry about your nice wheels. I'm considering getting a BMX with a long seat post for something similar. Doen't need to be fast as I'm not going far, just faster than walking. Smaller the better for storage and fitting onto commuter trains. If ti gets stollen its only a few hundred $$$$s not a few thousand.
Phill, thanks for the bearings, they arrived and they are beautiful. The DA hub spins very nicely and will post the full build and review of the wheel and ceramics some time next week.

Now, I'm doing the same thing. I am getting a BMX bike (thanks to my generous sponsor Crank N' Cycles) for a short distance commuter thing that is easier to pull out, have a bit of fun, and throw back. (also for tricks but thats a hobby)

Otherwise, for my longer distance commute, I built up a ****, **** steel frame as a SS. Put road cranks, road saddle and road wheels on. The front is a deep V (white) which I rubbed my hands on after working on it on purpose, to give it a dirty bike look, depsite that it is little things like a great chain, great chainring, great freewheel, fast front wheel, good brake, all which make it great to ride and very quick.

For extra effect, I polished the steel, rusted the steel then clearcoated it so it is polished and rusty at the same time. A rear rack completes it. It is fast, functional, and there is no chance in hell that it will be stolen.

goindowntheroad said:
If you can't find anything you should try to make the look adapters work. I bet with a little modification you could get speedplay cleats on there. Good Luck.
How would I even begin this mod? Aren't the Look and Speedplay pedals completely different type and use very different cleat designs? The Speedplay are round clamp on the lollipop pedals. The Look are the 3 point design.