Is there value in a carbon wheelset?

ambal

Oct 15, 2010
The pros use them, manufactures make huge claims about them, the local cafe riders all use them when leaning their bikes up against a cafe window. Are they worth the money? are cheap carbon sheelsets from china safe?

I want a wheelset that is light weight, stiff, aerodynamic and cost-effective. What brands should I consider?

HED, Zipp, Reynolds, Easton are all reputable brands and seem to be on the leading edge of rims that brake decently when wet, and wont explode after bombing a long decent riding the brakes, at least the newer models. Lightweight and Enve have a great reputation but seem on the pricey side. The new Easton Aero 55's look sweet, and the 3T hoops look interesting.

Another brand I came across that seems worth looking at and won't break the budget is Boyd Cycling: http://www.boydcycling.com/2013-product-revamp/

One way to capitalize on the benefit of the relatively light weight of carbon and the superior braking of aluminum may be a hybrid rim, like what may possibly be my next set of hoops... HED's Jet5 Express . Not the lightest but aero, wide rim, alloy braking surface, and pretty cheap as "fast" wheels go (~$1200 on eBay). Unless I find a smashing deal on a set of NOS 2010-2011 Zipp303 "toroidal" tubbies which for some unexplainable reason I have a morbid fascination for.

Then you'll have to decide if you want tubular or clincher.

Chinese brands I know nothing about (and probably never will) but they do seem competitively priced. I like to hit speeds of 50mph+ going downhill so until their performance under the most extreme conditions can be verified I'm not going to risk it... 50mph+ on a bike is risky enough ;P

All things considered, weight savings are somewhat over rated imo, and aero savings are discipline specific... is 50-70 secs over 40k worth it? For a recreational rider imo no, for a road racer possibly, for a TT'er most certainly. Only you will know. Watching the last World Championship men's road race won by Philippe Gilbert, riders were seen on both deep section and shallow profile rims.

With disposable income however fancy carbon wheels can certainly provide something to talk about over a cup of java.

Carbon wheelsets certainly have value, mostly though they just help push the weight of the bicycle down. Of course this usually appeals most to people who are chasing the best of the best or who are pro. The downside of course is cost and that you really should have the right tool to work on them (just like any other carbon part where torque is so important in order to be sure the part doesnt slip or break). So this increases cost even more.