Is there "value" in "vintage" equipment.

MotownBikeBoy

Nov 24, 2012
Not economic value, per se, but intangible value, in the sense that a "vintage" bike is part of the historic record of the technology and the sport. Not that I'm truly clear on what exactly counts as "vintage" - but I would say anything at least 20 years old.

The reason I ask, I picked up a circa 1983 Huffy Windsprint at a thrift shop last fall, with the intent of using it as a tear-down/rebuild bike with as much new equipment on it as possible, solely for the purpose of teaching myself something about bicycle mechanics.

So, I'm actually close to finding the time to work on this project, and ... maybe it's "wrong" to essentially throw away virtually everything except the frame and possibly the handlebars. Maybe I should just replace the truly disposable parts, brake pads, tires, pedals, and keep the rest. It's actually in very good shape, looks to me like a bike someone bought, rode a few times, and then abandoned in the garage for 30 years before deciding to get rid of it.

But, OTOH, it is mechanically in good shape, but the technology on it is decidedly low-end. An upgrade would make it a much better bike.

So, keep as is, or retrofit with new technology to make it more "rider-friendly"??? I know there isn't a "right or wrong" answer, just seeking opinions.

An '83 Huffy is hardly vintage, so don't worry about devaluing this bike by upgrading it. On the other hand, don't put too much money into it, either. There's only so much you can do for it. It helps if you have tools and can do the work yourself, and consider it a learning experience.

Vintage Campagnolo, Modolo, Mavic Electronique, Gippieme, etc. ...yes. Even old shimaNO Arabesque or Aero...yes.

An 80's Huffy...not so much.

Upgrading it would be folly. Keeping it all original...craptastic as the frame and components are...would be the only shot of it acquiring any monetary or even intrinsic 'collectible' value. Even then, you've got another twenty years to wait to see if there is any appreciation for it.

BTW, I have a late 80's Huffy 'mountain bike' (perhaps "Small Hill" bike would be a better category to put it in) that was a freebie. Like yours, someone bought it, never rode it and donated it to me along with five or six other newish bikes to use as machinegun targets at one of my full-auto shoot events.

I could not bear the thought of shooting even lowly Huffy's and Murray's to pieces...I donated most of the rideable bikes to local kids and kept a couple for beater trash bikes. Real world value? Maybe $20-$25 each on a good day. The smile on a kid's face when he gets a free bike? Priceless!

I had that thought myself. - fix it up and donate it to someone/give it away. This is strictly a " learn by doing " project anyway, so there is nothing riding on the outcome except acquiring a little knowledge. I don't mind putting a little $ into it if it works out.

I would put the least amount of money you can just to get it road worthy and donate it to a good cause as you so stated. You'll probably have to put new cables, brake pads, chain, tubes and tires, (obviously check the condition of this stuff before replacing) this may cost around $100 if all of that needs replacing, then of course give it a good cleaning and a tune up.

Actually if the brake pads don't look worn but have a glaze look to the contact surface or squeal when applying simply take a piece of fine emery paper and sand off the glaze and the brakes are good to go! Then use the same emery paper and sand down rubber marks off the rims.

Pedals? why do they need replacing? if they're not broken then why replace? If their broken you can get inexpensive but well made pedals from either Wellgo or Performance, and just get platform pedals since a kid would probably get the bike.

Originally Posted by Froze
I would put the least amount of money you can just to get it road worthy and donate it to a good cause as you so stated.
Good idea.

Where I live we have a charity that takes old bikes, strips them for parts or rehabs them with parts from other bikes or new parts (the local shops take donations), and gives them to needy people. You don't even have to put any work into it.