Is this a a good deal?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Mason, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    Bonus time is a coming and usually I pay off my council tax and water with it, but this year I'm
    going to treat myself to a new road bike for summer. 525 quid will buy an 04 Giant OCR1 large frame
    (I'm 6ft 2in) with Tiagra groupset. Is this a fair price? Many Thanks

  2. McBain_v1

    McBain_v1 New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004
    Not sure about the price but you might want to read this as it seems fairly positive.

    Personally I would be a little wary about the adjustable stem - the thought of it deciding to change position whilst you were cranking it up/down a hill is a bit alarming.

    Are you going to go for the triple chainset or the double?

  3. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "McBain_v1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Simon Mason wrote:
    > > Bonus time is a coming and usually I pay off my council tax and water with it, but this year
    > > I'm going to treat myself to a new road bike
    for
    > > summer. 525 quid will buy an 04 Giant OCR1 large frame (I'm 6ft 2in) with Tiagra groupset. Is
    > > this a fair price? Many Thanks

    > Personally I would be a little wary about the adjustable stem - the thought of it deciding to
    > change position whilst you were cranking it up/down a hill is a bit alarming.
    >
    > Are you going to go for the triple chainset or the double?

    The triple as I'm used to one on my hybrid and I prefer to twiddle up hills seated rather than
    honking. I'd like to relive a trip I did in my teenage years to the North Yorks Moors and back this
    summer. I could do it on my heavy hybrid but I'd like to experience it on a purpose built machine,
    although I'm hoping the ride won't be too harsh on my bones. Also I want to see if I'm fit enough
    to possibly join the local club as they publish their trips on the web around the same hills I ride
    on and I can measure myself against their times.

    Simon

  4. W K

    W K Guest

    > Bonus time is a coming and usually I pay off my council tax and water with it, but this year I'm
    > going to treat myself to a new road bike for summer. 525 quid will buy an 04 Giant OCR1 large
    > frame (I'm 6ft 2in) with Tiagra groupset. Is this a fair price?

    That rings a bell as the standard price for one of them.

  5. On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 16:06:12 -0000, Simon Mason wrote:

    > Bonus time is a coming and usually I pay off my council tax and water with it, but this year I'm
    > going to treat myself to a new road bike for summer. 525 quid will buy an 04 Giant OCR1 large
    > frame (I'm 6ft 2in) with Tiagra groupset. Is this a fair price? Many Thanks

    Sounds like it. My LBS is asking £625 for the same machine. My wife has the FSR1 which is
    essentially the same bike but with straight bars and alloy forks. She's very happy with it and she
    rides it pretty quickly.
    --
    Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "He loves nature in spite of what it did to him." - Forrest
    Tucker www.macclancy.demon.co.uk www.macclancy.co.uk

  6. Whingin' Pom

    Whingin' Pom Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bonus time is a coming and usually I pay off my council tax and water with it, but this year I'm
    >going to treat myself to a new road bike for summer. 525 quid will buy an 04 Giant OCR1 large frame
    >(I'm 6ft 2in) with Tiagra groupset. Is this a fair price?

    Sounds about right. I've got the OCR3 (same frame, Sora components, cack shifters). It's a nice
    light commuter-bike now I've added mudguards, a bigger rear block, lights and a seat-pack.

    If it uses the same adjustable stem, consider swapping it for a non-adjustable one. Even done up
    tight, mine creaks and flexes in a disconcerting manner.

    --
    Matt K Dunedin, NZ

  7. On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 08:56:40 +1300, Whingin' Pom
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 16:06:12 -0000, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Bonus time is a coming and usually I pay off my council tax and water with it, but this year I'm
    >>going to treat myself to a new road bike for summer. 525 quid will buy an 04 Giant OCR1 large
    >>frame (I'm 6ft 2in) with Tiagra groupset. Is this a fair price?
    >
    >Sounds about right. I've got the OCR3 (same frame, Sora components, cack shifters). It's a nice
    >light commuter-bike now I've added mudguards, a bigger rear block, lights and a seat-pack.
    >
    >If it uses the same adjustable stem, consider swapping it for a non-adjustable one. Even done up
    >tight, mine creaks and flexes in a disconcerting manner.

    ...well, mine doesn't, and I'm only just under 100kg! I'm very happy with mine, and the indexing
    is _far_ better than that on my (Dura Ace) Softride! The radially spoked front wheel seems to
    make interesting noises in croswinds, though. It also took me weeks of fiddling to et it
    comfortably set up.

    If the OCR1 is anything as good as the 3, then I don't hesitate to recommend it!

    Steve Another pom on South Island!

  8. Whingin' Pom

    Whingin' Pom Guest

    On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 10:06:03 +1300, Steve Holdoway
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 08:56:40 +1300, Whingin' Pom <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Sounds about right. I've got the OCR3 (same frame, Sora components, cack shifters). It's a nice
    >>light commuter-bike now I've added mudguards, a bigger rear block, lights and a seat-pack.
    >>
    >>If it uses the same adjustable stem, consider swapping it for a non-adjustable one. Even done up
    >>tight, mine creaks and flexes in a disconcerting manner.
    >
    >...well, mine doesn't, and I'm only just under 100kg!

    OK. Maybe the extra 30kg of lard that I carry makes the difference. The stem is safe, it's
    just...disconcerting..

    > I'm very happy with mine, and the indexing is _far_ better than that on my (Dura Ace) Softride!

    Haven't had Dura-ace, but apart from the daft positioning of the down-shifters (can't reach them
    with my thumbs from the drops) I agree. The indexing is spot on.

    >The radially spoked front wheel seems to make interesting noises in croswinds, though. It also took
    >me weeks of fiddling to et it comfortably set up.

    I haven't had this problem, but it could be because I haven't had any crosswinds. :) Plenty of
    headwinds, though. Long straight, headwind. Turn sharp left, headwind. How do they do that?

    Seriously, I've had no problems with the wheels. After 6 weeks from new and about 200 miles, they're
    still dead on true. Quite surprised me, really.

    >If the OCR1 is anything as good as the 3, then I don't hesitate to recommend it!

    I had a look at an OCR1. Very nice package indeed. Would have got it if the budget had allowed.

    >Steve Another pom on South Island!

    Cool. :) What's the cycling like where you are?

    --
    Matt K Dunedin, NZ

  9. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Whingin' Pom <[email protected]> wrote:

    : If it uses the same adjustable stem, consider swapping it for a non-adjustable one. Even done up
    : tight, mine creaks and flexes in a disconcerting manner.

    I've riden a Giant with one and not had any problems.

    The best plan is probably to use the adjustable stem for a while till you get the position sorted
    and after that swap it out if you want.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  10. Whingin' Pom

    Whingin' Pom Guest

    On 3 Mar 2004 09:33:12 GMT, "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Whingin' Pom <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >: If it uses the same adjustable stem, consider swapping it for a non-adjustable one. Even done up
    >: tight, mine creaks and flexes in a disconcerting manner.
    >
    >I've riden a Giant with one and not had any problems.

    It's possibly a lard-related issue. That or me hauling on the bars like a geriller as I'm trying to
    climb the hills round here.

    >The best plan is probably to use the adjustable stem for a while till you get the position sorted
    >and after that swap it out if you want.

    That's the plan. What's a good brand/type of stem to go for?
    --
    Matt K Dunedin, NZ