Is this a decent deal on a Powertap SL?

peterpen said:
Hand-built wheels are great - if the builder knows what they're doing. And actually, I think the Quality wheels are built by machine. For other prospective PT SL buyers reading this thread - if your LBS doesn't have a solid, experienced wheelbuilder and you are forced to buy online, I'd recommend going with someone like Troy Watson www.ligerowheels.com or Richard Sawris www.wheelbuilder.com . Their prices are competitive and, as you can tell from this thread, it's worth doing right the first time.

FWIW, I got bored this afternoon and weighed all my wheelsets. (Tapering, and have too much extra time/ energy!) My PT SL pair weighs 1580gms - with rim tape. Was considering using my Ksyrium rear wheel for some target races next month, but don't think 30g outweighs losing the data. :cool:
Mike Garcia at http://www.oddsandendos.com built me a great set of wheels (DT Swiss RR1.1) I would recommend him to anyone. I believe he's out of Florida but not sure.

I work at AEBike. We only have one website (www.aebike.com) The reason why www.aebikes .com (note the 's' at the end) goes to beyondbikes.com is because they are trying to steal some of our traffic from people that mis-type our address.

h8rain said:
I see guys saying that this online shop has done OK. The search I did indicated the shop has quite a few alter egos for the same website domain, so buyer beware. No negative comment, just couldn't figure out why beyondbikes.com had a similar address, but I'm no internet guy.

Secondly, both the DT rim and Open rims with PT's are outsourced by either Saris or the distributor for wheelbuilding so the shops aren't hand-building those wheels, unless its a rare exception and would likey cost more. That should also mean that the wheel-building is consistent, good or bad.

I have been told by my LBS and USCF certified coach that he recommends the 32 hole Open or DT rim equivalent to build up a PT. He didn't like using a smaller spoke count for reliability reasons.

He also tended to recommend train heavy, race lite. That is, not using an exotic Zipp or other wheel because it is a poor compromise. Race wheels to race, training wheels to train (at least for important races).

I compromised and went with the PT SL vs. Pro w/DT rim, since the Open wheels were on backorder because Saris orders in batches. Mine is due tomorrow so I'll see if I can put the info. from this site to good use.

I second the notion of not buying a prebuilt wheel and getting one built by a pro. I have both a standard issue Open Pro/Quality Wheelhouse wheel and a wheel built by Richard at Wheelbuilder.com. The difference is like night and day.

As an added bonus, Richard bundles CyclingPeaks with his PowerTap systems. When you figure that into the equation his prices are indeed very competitive.

You guys are making me hesitate.

My favorite bike shop is owned by an experimented Italian guy. But has he ever built one pt wheel? (gee I hope he doesn't recognize me. Prices will go up).

Is there any difference between building a standard wheel and a weel with a powertap hub?