Is this a first?

Casey Kerrigan

Guest
At least this is a first as far as I can remember. Yesterday at the Snelling road race the size of
the Cat 4 women's field was larger than the senior Cat 4 field. The women's race had 65 riders in it
while the Senior 4 race had 57. The Cat 4 women also outnumbered the two Cat 5 fields combined ( a
total of 58 Cat 5 men).

Good to see the numbers of women increasing.

Casey

I live within a hour of that race. I haven't been by that one in quite a while. I was reading about
Nicole Freedman 1st place there, 2002 the other day and just wondering since you were there, how
many spectators turned out for that race? Last time I went there were not many on hand. Yes, good to
see the number of women increasing.

Bruce
---------------------
news:230220031114255633%[email protected]...

In article <[email protected]>, Bruce Johnston <[email protected]> wrote:

> I live within a hour of that race. I haven't been by that one in quite a while. I was reading
> about Nicole Freedman 1st place there, 2002 the other day and just wondering since you were there,
> how many spectators turned out for that race? Last time I went there were not many on hand. Yes,
> good to see the number of women increasing.
>
> Bruce

Well if each of the 735 riders who rode the race brought one spectator with them then there was
probably a good amount of spectators. Fairly flat road races on an 11 mile loop don't lend
themselves to a lot of spectators. I wasn't at the race but my guess is that there weren't many
spectators.

In my first message I failed to note that there were 24 riders in the Cat 3 women's race and 30
riders in the 1/2 women's race Casey

Casey Kerrigan wrote:
> At least this is a first as far as I can remember. Yesterday at the Snelling road race the size of
> the Cat 4 women's field was larger than the senior Cat 4 field. The women's race had 65 riders in
> it while the Senior 4 race had 57. The Cat 4 women also outnumbered the two Cat 5 fields combined
> ( a total of 58 Cat 5 men).

I've seen the number of women racers expand greatly here in New England over the past decade, thanks
in large part to the Women's Challenge Series, but this is the first time I've heard of a women's
field larger than the same category men's field. The comparison to the men's category 5 fields is
probably the more appropriate, being the entry level categorys.

However, there does seem to be something wrong here: According to USCF Rule 1G5, the field limit for
a women's category 4 only race is only 50 (same as men's category 5).

> Good to see the numbers of women increasing.

Agreed.

Mark McMaster [email protected]

In article <[email protected]>, Mark McMaster <[email protected]> wrote:

> Casey Kerrigan wrote:
> > At least this is a first as far as I can remember. Yesterday at the Snelling road race the size
> > of the Cat 4 women's field was larger than the senior Cat 4 field. The women's race had 65
> > riders in it while the Senior 4 race had 57. The Cat 4 women also outnumbered the two Cat 5
> > fields combined ( a total of 58 Cat 5 men).
>
> I've seen the number of women racers expand greatly here in New England over the past decade,
> thanks in large part to the Women's Challenge Series, but this is the first time I've heard of a
> women's field larger than the same category men's field. The comparison to the men's category 5
> fields is probably the more appropriate, being the entry level categorys.
>
> However, there does seem to be something wrong here: According to USCF Rule 1G5, the field limit
> for a women's category 4 only race is only 50 (same as men's category 5).

Yea it looks like the Reg people lost track of how many riders they had and went over the field
limit a bit. for the other races with a 50 rider field limit they added overflow races ( but there
was a limit on how many overflow races they could have). Since this is the first Time We have had a
Cat 4 women's race reach the field limit I think the Reg. people werne't as ready for the field to
fill like they were for the other races.

Casey

"Mark McMaster" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Casey Kerrigan wrote:
> > At least this is a first as far as I can remember. Yesterday at the Snelling road race the size
> > of the Cat 4 women's field was larger than the senior Cat 4 field. The women's race had 65
> > riders in it while the Senior 4 race had 57. The Cat 4 women also outnumbered the two Cat 5
> > fields combined ( a total of 58 Cat 5 men).
>
> I've seen the number of women racers expand greatly here in New England over the past decade,
> thanks in large part to the Women's Challenge Series, but this is the first time I've heard of a
> women's field larger than the same category men's field. The comparison to the men's category 5
> fields is probably the more appropriate, being the entry level categorys.
>
> However, there does seem to be something wrong here: According to USCF Rule 1G5, the field limit
> for a women's category 4 only race is only 50 (same as men's category 5).
>
> > Good to see the numbers of women increasing.
>
> Agreed.
>
> Mark McMaster [email protected]

The rise in New England in women's racing that Mark points out is very much to do with the effort of
Gerri Moriarty. My question for Casey is I've seen very large Cat IV women's field in New England
but NEVER such a small men's Cat IV field. That's the real question...?

Danny Callen

In article <[email protected]>, Danny Callen <[email protected]> wrote:

> The rise in New England in women's racing that Mark points out is very much to do with the effort
> of Gerri Moriarty. My question for Casey is I've seen very large Cat IV women's field in New
> England but NEVER such a small men's Cat IV field. That's the real question...?

Remember there were two fields of Cat 5 men, There were two fields of Cat 4/5 35+ men. It was only
the cat 4 field that was only about 1/2 full.

Also we tend to have smaller fields with lower field limits that many of the regions back east.

Casey