Is this a good deal for a starter bike?

mikdes said:
I'm planning to begin commuting and riding for fitness. I found this locally on ebay. If I can get it for the starting bid, is this a good deal?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3693153845&indexURL=3#ebayphotohosting
Old junkque like that typically goes for $25 at garage sales or thrift stores,and you don't have to pay shipping. It would make a decent enough beater,but don't buy it and then start throwing money at upgrades,when you find it lacking for more serious riding.

boudreaux said:
Old junkque like that typically goes for $25 at garage sales or thrift stores,and you don't have to pay shipping. It would make a decent enough beater,but don't buy it and then start throwing money at upgrades,when you find it lacking for more serious riding.
Thanks. That's kind of what I figured. I wouldn't have to ship it as it's in my area, but I'm thinking of getting a brand new bike, anyway. This, I thought, might be a decent cheaper alternative.

Too bad my dad sold his old Schwinn Le Tour a couple years ago. That would have been perfect!

mikdes said:
Thanks. That's kind of what I figured. I wouldn't have to ship it as it's in my area, but I'm thinking of getting a brand new bike, anyway. This, I thought, might be a decent cheaper alternative.

Too bad my dad sold his old Schwinn Le Tour a couple years ago. That would have been perfect!
There are decent used bikes around.That is just not one of them if you are halfway serious.