Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by nflink, Mar 11, 2014.

1. nflink

nflink New Member

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/4323611733.html

I talked him down to 850. I'm looking for a nice road bike to replace my 2008 specialized allez which was recently stolen:( I'm not into racing or serious road riding, but I like to go on the occasional 80 mile ride, or do laps around prospect park in Brooklyn. But I do want something not too outdated - I guess that's my question - I know this was a nice bike in 2005, but since it's 2014, it will be 10 years old in no time (also, I'm not sure of the exact age of this bike). And the age itself doesn't bother me, but I'm wondering if bike technology has changed enough that I'm better off getting something more recent. The 2008 allez was great for me, and this six13 was a higher end bike new, and just a few years older I believe.

Any advice is appreciated.

On a side note, I picked up a 1997 specialized allez off craigslist for $200 to use as a lock-up bike. I'm pretty sure that's a great deal, no? It's full 105, downtube shifting. It rides great and is pretty light. What do y'all think?

Tags:

2. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

A carbon Cannondale with 5600-level 105, for $850 (OK, and an Ultegra rear derailleur), is a little high but not outrageous. If everything works and the frame looks undamaged, I'd say go for it.

3. nflink

nflink New Member

Ok thanks - let me be more specific - is this bike significantly better than my 2008 allez (which I paid 550 for used, with full tiagra)? Because if not, I might as well just wait until another allez my size goes for 600 on cl.

4. oldbobcat

If it's in good working order, 10-speed 105 on a carbon Cannondale trumps Tiagra (9- or new 10-speed) on an aluminum Allez. Even though Shimano has introduced 11-speed Dura-Ace and Ultegra, 10-speed will be around for a while, definitely longer than 9-speed.

A few years ago I had the equivalent of this bike that was made by Felt. It was a very delightful ride. I regret not keeping it longer.

5. nflink

nflink New Member

I appreciate the advise. This bike however, is not full carbon. Just the top tube and down tube, whereas the allez had carbon seat stays and this doesn't. I realize this is a better bike, but I'm just wanting to make sure it's a $850>$550 difference. Also, I couldn't find much info on the wheels. I should probably just shut up and buy it already.

6. oldbobcat

Weird. Knowing the frame is not full carbon, then, I'd say it is very overpriced. I would not pay more than $600 for it. 105 is nice, but 2005 was a long time ago.

By the way, Tiagra was upgraded to 10-speed for 2013, and it's pretty darned nice.

7. nflink

nflink New Member

Perhaps this is a better deal - http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/4370786737.html

It's just that the cannondale has more carbon in the frame, while this one is all aluminum (except the fork). However, this is 2011 with new 105.

What do you think?

8. oldbobcat

3 year old Felt Z85 for $850? Great bike, and the price isn't far off if it all works. Offer $750, but don't hesitate to split the difference. Let us know how it goes.

I just noticed the Ultegra/Open Pro wheels. Those are really special. Offer $800 but don't hesitate to pay the asking price if he says he has another interested party. Move quickly.

9. RonSwanson

RonSwanson New Member

I think the price is too far out there. You said you're not into anything serious? I think you'd be able to find a newer one that doesn't cost nearly as much. Even if it did cost a bit more, quality is worth it. Bike looks fine and all, but it is getting up there in years. Imo, the Felt Z85 is a better deal.

10. rusess

rusess New Member

I think it will be a great deal for you.