Is this a good start for a cheap single-speed project?

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by mynameisphunk, Jun 15, 2007.

1. mynameisphunk

mynameisphunk New Member

I'm looking to build a cheap but solid single speed MTB, and have come across this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-SS-Single-Speed-Frame-Fork-HS-Stem-Bar-Crank-Post_W0QQitemZ150132388314QQihZ005QQcategoryZ98083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is this a good start? I'd ideally like to use all used components and finish up the bike for around $300 total invested - I'm not 100% sure on the single-speed thing, and I really just need a fun bike to hit up the trails with some friends (all I currently have is a hybrid/touring type setup on an older Trek 7500 - definitely not singletrack-friendly). I like rigid bikes, and have come to understand that steel will be more forgiving on the trail than aluminum.

As such, should this frame hold up pretty well? Does it appear to be good quality - and does anyone have more information on "Dirt Research", or does the name not really matter as long as the frame looks to be of decent quality?

If the only downside to not having horizontal dropouts is having to use a chain tensioner, that doesn't bother me at all.

From the auction:

[​IMG]

Tags: