is this a new trick?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling archive' started by Onetrack, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. Onetrack

    Onetrack Guest

    I landed something that i have been trying to do for ages.
    the trick starts with a jump and mid-air you take your feet
    off after pushing the front pedal, the wheel will then do a
    complete rotation and last landing with your feet in the
    same position as they started. -mike

    --
    onetrack
    onetrack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6374

  2. Weeble

    Weeble Guest

    onetrack wrote:
    > *I landed something that i have been trying to do for
    > ages. the trick starts with a jump and mid-air you take
    > your feet off after pushing the front pedal, the wheel
    > will then do a complete rotation and last landing with
    > your feet in the same position as they started. -mike *

    I demand that you change your title to something other than
    "Unicycling Newbie" immediately.

    --
    weeble - There can be only one... wheel

    ==============
    Another Joe in MN
    Level 2 and holding
    ==============

    weeble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1625

  3. Marty

    Marty Guest

  4. Klownlife

    Klownlife Guest

    video it and post it, I'm curious to see this "new" trick,
    sounds pretty ill though man, even if it ain't new it's
    pretty impressive Jas'o

    --
    KlownLife - The Bad Boy Of Uni

    Bring Da Ruckus!
    KlownLife's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5196

  5. Unicycleboy

    Unicycleboy Guest

  6. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 19:36:12 -0500, "leo" wrote:

    >Is'nt there nobody out there who has a picture of the
    >legendary half wheeled unicycle? On that on you had to ride
    >like this.

    Only it didn't have to be no-footed.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    be sure to remove the saddle and simply sit on the seat
    post. this is far more comfortable - tennisgh22 on the

  7. I remember something like that on a bike being called a
    "kickflip" like on a sakteboard. Only instead of a board,
    the cranks spin. Lame on a bike, awesome on a unicycle!

    --
    digitalattrition - Addicted to Crank (mounts)

    "can you do a wheelie on that?!"
    --Some kid I saw when I was riding
    digitalattrition's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6430

  8. Onetrack

    Onetrack Guest

    Yeah, I knda got the idea from seeing bmx videos, and
    seeing how technical skateboard tricks are getting. I want
    to come up with more stuff that incorpirates jumping and
    uni movement.

    It seems to me that every sport started with simple stuff
    and as those sports grew, more and more technical tricks
    evolved. For example, I saw an early 80's? bmx video called
    GTV (a play off of GT bikes), and many of the tricks
    reminded me of uni tricks.

    The kickflip is so different from any other unicycle trick,
    for that reason it might be some thing that a person who
    dosen't have alot of the base tricks down might be able to
    learn it. like how it is hard for a person who can't wheel
    walk to learn how to glide. -mike

    --
    onetrack - street terrorist
    onetrack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6374

  9. Smiley-Ryan

    Smiley-Ryan Guest

  10. Uniextreme

    Uniextreme Guest

    Hahaha this is hilarious because this morning before school
    i thought of this trick and was going to work on it when i
    got home but u beat me to
    it. Congratulations, but i think what unicycling needs more
    of is names for tricks!! So what do u call it? No footed
    cran flip?

    --
    uniextreme - Funkadelic Unicyclist

    http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuw09 New stuff recently added

    Scars are tatoos with better stories
    uniextreme's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4708

  11. Klownlife

    Klownlife Guest

  12. Nah, its gotta be original, something that has nothing to do
    with the trick.

    The Swizzlestick Frapulator!

    --
    digitalattrition - Addicted to Crank (mounts)

    "can you do a wheelie on that?!"
    --Some kid I saw when I was riding
    digitalattrition's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6430

  13. Johnfoss

    Johnfoss Guest

    Let me be first to suggest boring descriptive names. I like
    boring descriptive names for tricks, not because they're
    boring but so they are understandable without seeing them
    done. This is important not only so people can figure out
    what we're talking about, but also because it translates
    better into other languages.

    Crank flip works, but we can't flip our cranks without
    flipping the entire wheel. How about wheelspin? We don't use
    that for any other tricks. A unispin is where you're in the
    air and the unicycle spins around a vertical axis. A
    wheelspin can be where the wheel spins "the regular way"
    while it's off the ground. Keeping it a single word will
    make it easier to add it to more complex tricks, like a 360
    of a picnic table with a double reverse wheelspin.

    There was a little guy from Panther Pride who did something
    similar at the Unicon 11 Open-X competition. He rode up to a
    chair and stepped briefly on it as he passed by, while
    giving his wheel a half turn in the reverse direction. As I
    recall he didn't have it totally down, so it may have taken
    him several tries in the competition. What was his name?

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not
    because they are easy, but because they are hard." -- John F. Kennedy,

  14. Onetrack

    Onetrack Guest

    Nik Caffroy, and I think he deserves major credit for the
    (footplant crankflip), I cant think of what he called it
    after he landed it.

    Here is its brief story. Dan Heaton and I where riding one
    night and he brought the idea up. I think he said that he
    got the idea from Adam Rysnar. we where trying it for a
    while but coulden't do it. A few weeks later Dan, Nik, and I
    where riding. Dan was telling him about it and the little
    jerk landed it on his second try, planting off of a knee
    high concrete ledge. Dan has it on film. it turned out
    pretty good. he almost landed it after a 180 off the ledge.
    Now that I think of it Dan posted it in the gallery on this
    site I think it was titled North Bend Street and Trials. It
    would have been posted the summer before last.

    since that day Nik and I have tried to do it without the aid
    of a ledge but could never land it. I am sure his way will
    look cooler when he finally lands it because he flips the
    cranks backwards, (as opposed to me flipping the cranks
    forewards).

    Nik is comming up with some awesome tricks, the half rev
    (jump and pedal half a revolution in the air), the rev (same
    thing but with a full revolution), I have seen him land a
    180 half rev. it's sooo crazy both unicycler and unicycle do
    a 180 in the air as he pedals a half revolution. -mike (Nik
    is the correct spelling of his name)

    --
    onetrack - street terrorist
    onetrack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6374

  15. Onetrack

    Onetrack Guest

  16. Leo

    Leo Guest

  17. Onetrack

    Onetrack Guest

    uniextreme wrote:
    > but i think what unicycling needs more of is names for
    > tricks!! So what do u call it? No footed crank flip?

    If I get the honor of naming it, I like how crank flip
    sounds. The central part of the trick is crank position.
    Crank flip was the proposed name a year or so ago, at the
    time I liked kick flip but it seems kinda taken. -mike

    the glove compartment, isn't accurately named. -Seattle Band
    "The Postal Service"

    --
    onetrack - street terrorist
    onetrack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6374

  18. Tugboat

    Tugboat Guest

    i have also been trying this trick. i was hoping to throw
    one out down a set this year maybe. i think dan heaton has
    tried it a bit as well. we have been referring to it as a
    crank flip as well. so i think thats the best name for it.
    its simple and understandable, plus its already in use by a
    lot of people. go get it on film, id love to see it.

    Kevin

    --
    tugboat - Street Unier named Kevin

    "You won't get hurt if you land it!"
    tugboat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3298

  19. Onetrack

    Onetrack Guest

    tugboat wrote:
    > i have also been trying this trick. i was hoping to
    > throw one out down a set this year maybe.

    Yeah, that is definately a future goal for me. it seems like
    all the hopping tricks in the unicycle world require no
    foreward movement. once more stuff like the crankflip get
    invented and conqured, unicycling will have alot more appeal
    to joe public. people might stop relating unicycling with
    clowns and the circus and other various childerens
    entertainment.

    anyway back to the quote. when I was learning the crankflip,
    i thought it would be easier to land off of a tiny drop like
    a one footer, because you spend more time int the air. when
    i tried it off of small drops, I found a problem. the pre-
    esablished fear fo the cranks rotating beneath you was mixed
    with the fear of 12 inches between you and the ground. Im
    not a wimp but whenever i attempted this the uni ended up
    way out in front of me. I think that now that I have landed
    it a few times on flat gound, I might be able to muster up
    the balls to try it off a drop. then its on to the stair
    casses! -mike

    "The only constant is change" -my Volcom shorts

    --
    onetrack - street terrorist
    onetrack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6374

  20. Is this the trickI've seen that's shot through a fish eye
    lens? Guy on a black uni with Green Miyata seat? Looks
    really cool if it's what I'm thinking of, any links would be
    much appreciated.

    Wheel spin's not a good name, as it generally refers to the
    wheel spinning without traction underneath the vehicle
    doesn't it? Would be confusing! I have to beg no-one names
    any tricks with really stupid names like Mizou and Mistral
    etc. And that no-one uses the term "fakie" in unicycling! I
    just couldn't stand it!

    --
    one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

    OWS

    "It's all in the mind, not the behind" -Mikefule
    one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832