is this a scam?

ilovestacy

Jan 23, 2005
hi y'all. i was on ebay and found an 04 trek 5200 and email the guy....in the uk.... and he said he'd sell it for 880. too good to be true. i asked if it was new and warrantied and he said yes on both accounts. anything else i should ask? any downfalls to this deal. thanks a million.-pc

ilovestacy said:
hi y'all. i was on ebay and found an 04 trek 5200 and email the guy....in the uk.... and he said he'd sell it for 880. too good to be true. i asked if it was new and warrantied and he said yes on both accounts. anything else i should ask? any downfalls to this deal. thanks a million.-pc

Ask him if he will ship it COD. He will say no or not reply at all. Ask him if he will sell for 700 because that is all you have.
He will say yes and by that you will know it is a scam.

ilovestacy said:
Always trust your instinct. You said it sounded too good to be true...it probably is. I am always super cautious on Ebay. Most of the stuff is legitimate, but I have been burned on many occasions and as a result, choose to deal with my LBS instead.

If it's this one or this one and he said he sell it to you for $880, then yeah, it's a scam. Immediate red flags: Seller not in the US (watch out for UK in particular), seller feedback = 0, item desctiption is straight off of manufacturer's or reseller's website, private listing (pre-approved bidders only). If the guy did actually have some feedback, I'd look at the items he sold in the past. If he/she's been selling doilies and tchockes for the last two years, and is all of a sudden selling high-end road bikes for far too little, it's probably a hijacked ebay account.