General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Is this a symptom of a hamstring pull?

Started by GB · · Last activity · 5 posts · 437 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 April 2005
Last activity
26 April 2005
Original author
GB
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
437
Views / 30 days
2

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have had a pain for about 3 weeks that I think is centered in my upper
    left butt cheek, and the pain shoots down my leg. I feel the pain primarily
    after sitting in my chair at work and after I get up in the morning. I get
    up and limp for a while and the pain begins to subside. If I run, bike, or
    do a full body workout at the gym, the pain will go away as I exercise and
    will not return sometimes until the next day. Any ideas on what this could
    be? Thanks for any advice! I will be soon going to the doctor if this does
    not go away, but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this type of
    injury.

  2. GB said:

    I have had a pain for about 3 weeks that I think is centered in my upper
    left butt cheek, and the pain shoots down my leg. I feel the pain primarily
    after sitting in my chair at work and after I get up in the morning. I get
    up and limp for a while and the pain begins to subside. If I run, bike, or
    do a full body workout at the gym, the pain will go away as I exercise and
    will not return sometimes until the next day. Any ideas on what this could
    be? Thanks for any advice! I will be soon going to the doctor if this does
    not go away, but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this type of
    injury.


    Is the pain shooting down the outer part of your leg? If so it could be
    sciatica. I developed sciatica when I carried my son around on my hip as
    a baby and forgot to stop when he got big :-) Now it comes back mostly
    when I sit for too long.

    You should see your doctor right away for any injury or pain, especially
    if you want to keep running.

    Donna

  3. In article <[email hidden]>, GB

    Quoted message said:

    I have had a pain for about 3 weeks that I think is centered in my upper
    left butt cheek, and the pain shoots down my leg. I feel the pain primarily
    after sitting in my chair at work and after I get up in the morning. I get
    up and limp for a while and the pain begins to subside. If I run, bike, or
    do a full body workout at the gym, the pain will go away as I exercise and
    will not return sometimes until the next day. Any ideas on what this could
    be? Thanks for any advice! I will be soon going to the doctor if this does
    not go away, but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this type of
    injury.

    Probably a piece of this pain is that fact that as you sit, you slouch
    which means the pelvis rolls back so you're sitting more on your
    tailbone than sitz bones. That pelvis tilting back allows the
    hanstrings to shorten.

    Try this.
    Sit on the edge of your chair.
    Sit in your normal slouch, pelvis rolls back position
    Let your left or right leg straighten(only one leg)
    The leg is straight and the heel rests on the ground
    Keep the leg straight and lift it up
    Now sit up straight
    Again keeping the leg straight, lift it up
    You'll notice that sitting straight the leg is more difficult to lift
    Sitting up straight keeps the pelvis aligned and the hamstring is
    not relaxed as in the slouch.

    Get two baseballs or start with two tennis balls and put them in a sock
    and tie it at the end. You can sit on them under your hamstrings.
    Later you can put them right in front of the sitz bones to work loose
    some of the connective tissue that developed because of the slouching.

    Here's one way to play with your posture called: Pump Up The Body
    http://www.mindfulness.com/of4.asp

    In health and on the run,
    Ozzie Gontang
    Director, San Diego Marathon Clinic, est. 1975
    Maintainer - rec.running FAQ
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/
    Mindful Running:
    http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp

  4. "runmum" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    GB said:

    I have had a pain for about 3 weeks that I think is centered in my upper
    left butt cheek, and the pain shoots down my leg. I feel the pain


    primarily

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    after sitting in my chair at work and after I get up in the morning. I


    get

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    up and limp for a while and the pain begins to subside. If I run, bike,


    or

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    do a full body workout at the gym, the pain will go away as I exercise


    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    will not return sometimes until the next day. Any ideas on what this


    could

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    be? Thanks for any advice! I will be soon going to the doctor if this


    does

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    not go away, but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this type


    of

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    injury.


    Is the pain shooting down the outer part of your leg? If so it could be
    sciatica. I developed sciatica when I carried my son around on my hip as
    a baby and forgot to stop when he got big :-) Now it comes back mostly
    when I sit for too long.

    You should see your doctor right away for any injury or pain, especially
    if you want to keep running.

    Donna

    Thanks for the info Donna!

    I read up on sciatica and it could be what is causing the pain I feel. The
    only thing is I have no pain in my back. I think I will go ahead and visit a
    doctor regardless! Thanks for your input!

  5. "Ozzie Gontang" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, GB

    Quoted message said:

    I have had a pain for about 3 weeks that I think is centered in my upper
    left butt cheek, and the pain shoots down my leg. I feel the pain


    primarily

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    after sitting in my chair at work and after I get up in the morning. I


    get

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    up and limp for a while and the pain begins to subside. If I run, bike,


    or

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    do a full body workout at the gym, the pain will go away as I exercise


    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    will not return sometimes until the next day. Any ideas on what this


    could

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    be? Thanks for any advice! I will be soon going to the doctor if this


    does

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    not go away, but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this type


    of

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    injury.

    Probably a piece of this pain is that fact that as you sit, you slouch
    which means the pelvis rolls back so you're sitting more on your
    tailbone than sitz bones. That pelvis tilting back allows the
    hanstrings to shorten.

    Try this.
    Sit on the edge of your chair.
    Sit in your normal slouch, pelvis rolls back position
    Let your left or right leg straighten(only one leg)
    The leg is straight and the heel rests on the ground
    Keep the leg straight and lift it up
    Now sit up straight
    Again keeping the leg straight, lift it up
    You'll notice that sitting straight the leg is more difficult to lift
    Sitting up straight keeps the pelvis aligned and the hamstring is
    not relaxed as in the slouch.

    Get two baseballs or start with two tennis balls and put them in a sock
    and tie it at the end. You can sit on them under your hamstrings.
    Later you can put them right in front of the sitz bones to work loose
    some of the connective tissue that developed because of the slouching.

    Here's one way to play with your posture called: Pump Up The Body
    http://www.mindfulness.com/of4.asp

    In health and on the run,
    Ozzie Gontang
    Director, San Diego Marathon Clinic, est. 1975
    Maintainer - rec.running FAQ
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/
    Mindful Running:
    http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp

    Thanks Ozzie, all you say is true. I will try your recommendation!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.