is this ay good! advice needed

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by rhodriwales, Oct 28, 2004.

1. rhodriwales

rhodriwales New Member

ive just got back from the gym
    i did 10 miles in 27.53 with a average speed on 21.5 mph
    the machine was set on road race and on level 5 out of 20
    im 15 this is the first time ive ever been on cycling machine properly to train im going to start going regualary now
    ive about 180-185 cm and weigh 9 stone
    also im going to train any info tips

im looking for advice , help , hints as im going to start cycling now mayby to do races
    ?
    thanks in advance

Tags:

2. Smartt/RST

Smartt/RST New Member

Rhodriwales, I can't speak to your gym workout, as I have no idea what the cycle machine you were riding was like, but if you are truley excited about cycling and want to pursue racing at some point, this would be my main suggestion: get in touch with a coach that specializes or at least has significant experience with jr. cycling. You don't necessarily need to hire someone long term, but getting started in the proper way will really set you up nicely for your journey into cycling. Issues surrounding bike fit, how often to ride, how long to ride and other activities you should continue to do are very important for your long term development. Get started on the right foot now, and I guarantee you will become a much better cyclist than if you train by your own trial and error.

3. Mansmind

Mansmind New Member

There's not really enough information to say whether that's good or not. On the surface it's not bad, but....

We have no idea what 5 out of 20 means, therefore we have no idea how much power you were generating (watts).

We also have no idea how much exertion it took (from you) to accomplish that 10 mile ride. I mean, were you tired, could you have ridden another 10 miles at the same pace? faster? etc.

Stationary bikes vary widly from one to the next, without someone having experience on the exact one you're riding, it's hard to tell. Do you have a bicycle yet?

John

4. rhodriwales

rhodriwales New Member

i think i was generation 178 watts
    i was tired after this but could have gone on for 10 more miles at a slower pace

im doing this ride again same time tomorow will get more info then

thanks for your replies

5. rhodriwales

rhodriwales New Member

any more info, advice,help?

6. velomanct

velomanct New Member

Get a road bike and ride outside. It's a lot more fun than indoor cycling.

Keep your training fun, don't worry too much about the numbers. Just go out and ride, ride ride.

7. topcat

topcat New Member

I agree, indoor training is v.boring, out in the open the scenery is different, and the wind in your face aspect is great, (unless is a strong headwind lol),
    as velomanct sed, just go out and ride.....