Is this bike reliable?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Sam Kong, Jun 3, 2003.

  1. Sam Kong

    Sam Kong Guest

    Hello!

    I want to buy a bike for exercise. I found a bike which is not very expensive for its functions.
    However, I double its reliability. I want to hear opinions from experts.

    http://www.azipbike.com/products%202.htm

    It's FA-2600. Folding. Automatic shift. Price is only $189 in a store near my office (LA).

    What I most worry about is the shift part. Automatic shift must be very convenient but could be very
    problematic.

    Any advice will be appreciated.

    Regards, Sam

    Tags:

  2. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Sam Kong" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello!
    >
    > I want to buy a bike for exercise. I found a bike which is not very expensive for its functions.
    > However, I double its reliability. I want to hear opinions from experts.
    >
    > http://www.azipbike.com/products%202.htm
    >
    > It's FA-2600. Folding. Automatic shift. Price is only $189 in a store near my office (LA).
    >
    > What I most worry about is the shift part. Automatic shift must be very convenient but could be
    > very problematic.
    >
    > Any advice will be appreciated.

    A store near me (Ohio) recently had a closeout on Specialized Hardrocks. $199.

    No autoshift to break, no hinge to get loose. A bike shop that actually knows something about bikes.
    A nice, basic, reliable bike.

    Modern shifting mechs are very, very easy to get used to. The auto business introduces more
    problems than it 'fixes'. The folding action on a $190 bike is probably sub-par. Fold it more than
    a few times, and I'll bet you introduce some play. If you're not going to use the folding feature,
    why buy it?

    If that's all I had to spend on a bike....the choice is obvious.

    Look around some more. Take that folder for a test ride. Then go to a bike shop, and take a
    $250-$300 bike for a test ride. Enoy the difference.

    Pete

  3. [email protected] (Sam Kong) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello!
    >
    > I want to buy a bike for exercise. I found a bike which is not very expensive for its functions.
    > However, I double its reliability. I want to hear opinions from experts.
    >
    > http://www.azipbike.com/products%202.htm
    >
    > It's FA-2600. Folding. Automatic shift. Price is only $189 in a store near my office (LA).
    >
    > What I most worry about is the shift part. Automatic shift must be very convenient but could be
    > very problematic.

    it is neither convenient nor reliable. the topic has been debated many times, and each time it has
    been soundly rejected.

    Autobikes and their ilk use non-standard components that will be difficult to maintain and
    impossible to replace. Moreover, having a bike that shifts suddenly with no warning or
    input from you
    is...disconcerting. I had a bike that would make ghost shifts--shifts without my input--once; having
    the bike UPSHIFT suddenly as you're climbing the last long hill home is not fun. Needless to say,
    I adjusted the shifters and derailleurs to keep that sort of thing from ever happening again.

    Do you *really* need a folding bicycle?

    -Luigi

  4. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    Thirty-one pounds? Are you kidding?

  5. On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 09:20:53 +0000, Sam Kong wrote:

    > Hello!
    >
    > I want to buy a bike for exercise. I found a bike which is not very expensive for its functions.
    > However, I double its reliability. I want to hear opinions from experts.

    Don't get it. 1) Automatic shifting is not a good idea. It is not reliable, doesn't do the right
    thing, and is not necessary. Many people who haven't ridden in a long time remember bikes with very
    poor shiters (such as the Schwinn Varsity). That is in the past. A $200 bike from a bike shop will
    have very easy, very reliable shifting. 2) Folding bikes are very common, and many fold up much
    tighter than that appears to. They are also limited; a cheap one may very well be quite flexy at the
    hinge, which you do not want. If you need a folding bike, get one from a reliable shop.

    > What I most worry about is the shift part. Automatic shift must be very convenient but could be
    > very problematic.

    It's not so convenient, since the difference between it and other shifters is minimal. Most bikes
    have what amounts to push-button shifting already. All reviews of auto-shift derailleurs have been
    very negative.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not _`\(,_ | certain, and as
    far as they are certain, they do not refer to (_)/ (_) | reality. -- Albert Einstein