Is this chainring and cassette worn out?

jwroubaix

Jun 6, 2007
So I took my bike in for a tune up and I guess let the chain go a bit too long. Around 2500 miles. They said because I let the chain go for so long that wore out my chainrings and cassette early. Attached is a pic, were they worn out or did my lbs take me for a ride?

Attachments

• CHainring.jpg
    CHainring.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Cassette.jpg
    Cassette.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 34
I'd take those chainrings and chuck them at the head of the guy that told you they were worn out. Think big Chinese stars...

The cassette looks in good condition. I'd hazzard a guess that even after a good cleaning you still wouldn't be able to see ANY wear on them. Looks dirty but in very good condition. The chainrings could stil see a year or two useful like as well. They're a little worn but nowhere near replacing...

Replacing - that's what you need to do with your choice of big shop.

What Swampy said. A bonus to looking for a new LBS is that it affords you the opportunity to ogle over gear that one LBS might have that your current LBS doesn't. Learning to work on your stuff yourself removes the "LBS is full of shite" factor from the equation AND saves you money to buy some of the cool kit you've seen. Here's a video of how to throw Chinese throwing stars (or cassette cogs or chain rings): [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfEdSbT_qZk[/video]