is this chainring good or bad

zaku

Jun 23, 2004
I've came through this dura ace chainring for about $40 shipped.
the seller claims this wear on the chainring which is only present (the worst) for these few teeth shown in picture.

So do you guys think is this ring still good or worth it and what kind of riding would have caused that?

sorry for the huge pic but that's how it can show clearly.

pic:
http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/2655/dsc01271cf5.jpg

looks beat. Are you really saving a lot going used? What do they go for new?

Okay just for the heck of it I took a look at mine(ultegra sl) with only 400 mi. Now I ain't no Tom Boonen and yes the FD is working fine with the set limits right. I have what appears to be similiar wear maybe worse in that there's gouges on the outside of the teeth. :confused: Three times I've had the chain overshoot from the smaller chain ring when shifting to the bigger chainring. Put some nice scratches in the crank arm :mad: Still rides nice maybe thats where the wear comes from :confused:

I don't think its good to have wear like that but I believe as long as the pitch/radius between teeth isn't too worn then the chain rollers should mesh nicely and that's what counts. Nice post now I'm bummed about mine. Too freaking new for this **** to happen.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless you really want your money back. Heavily worn teeth are pointy, like the ones below -- yours look like they've just had the plating chipped off, and the teeth otherwise don't look too bad

worn_chainring.jpg

531Aussie said:
I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless you really want your money back. Heavily worn teeth are pointy, like the ones below -- yours look like they've just had the plating chipped off, and the teeth otherwise don't look too bad

worn_chainring.jpg

Yeah that is some really bad wear, mine don't look that bad but the chipping on the outside on mine is similiar just not as bad in that pic. How long/miles does it take to get pointy teeth like that?

btw- I noticed on BikeNashbar they want 120$ for the Dura ace outerring so I guess you got a good deal.

Okay so I'm checking out pics of Ultegra cranksets on Ebay and other sites and come to reason that what I initially observed as wear on the outer chainring is actually intentional forming of divots or what would be chipped off material on the outside of the teeth. What is the purpose of this?

Sorry if I'm thread jacking here but if it wasn't for this thread. Ahh ingnorance is bliss.

gemship said:
Okay so I'm checking out pics of Ultegra cranksets on Ebay and other sites and come to reason that what I initially observed as wear on the outer chainring is actually intentional forming of divots or what would be chipped off material on the outside of the teeth. What is the purpose of this?

Sorry if I'm thread jacking here but if it wasn't for this thread. Ahh ingnorance is bliss.
You're not thread jacking. Zaku got his answer and most of us learned something. That is what matters most.

zaku said:
the seller claims this wear on the chainring which is only present (the worst) for these few teeth shown in picture.

So do you guys think is this ring still good or worth it and what kind of riding would have caused that?

pic:
The chainring is good for thousands of miles ...

The nickle plating on DA 7700 rings often bubbles/blisters-or-flakes ...

BUT, that particular ring is not worth $40 ... maybe, $10-to-$15, maybe LESS ... I'm going to guess that particular ring has probably seen at least 1500 miles of use ... maybe, 2500+ miles of use!

alfeng said:
The chainring is good for thousands of miles ...

The nickle plating on DA 7700 rings often bubbles/blisters-or-flakes ...

BUT, that particular ring is not worth $40 ... maybe, $10-to-$15, maybe LESS ... I'm going to guess that particular ring has probably seen at least 1500 miles of use ... maybe, 2500+ miles of use!
+1. Stuff that wears out just isnt' worth much used to me, unless I know the history or can inspect it and determine the condition. I've never been able to determine wear on cassettes and chainrings by looking at them. But 2500 miles of use isn't much for a chainring, is it?

I just changed my FSA triple set out at 18K miles as the middle ring was starting to show some "daylight" under the chain. Functionally, there was a bit of "give", or "ride up" of the chain on the sprockets that could be seen when pushing on a pedal in the middle and small rings.

With the new rings on, the only difference I noticed is that the drivetrain seemed to be a bit smoother when pushing hard, and maybe quieter too.

zaku said:

pic:

You can get a new TA ring for about $10 more.

Yup, I would think that with a bit of searching on line you will find new chainrings for little more than what the seller is asking.

I mean, you can find a Campagnolo Veloce 2006 crankset (before UltraTorque) for as little as 35~40 Euro on line these days...