Is this common

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Twisthem488, Oct 23, 2004.

  1. Twisthem488

    Twisthem488 Guest

    I just got my first uni (a 20" torker unistar cx) and so far its been
    great. Ive been practicing the past couple of days and im not really
    going very far, with my record being about 20'. After a bit of riding
    and reading i found i needed to lean forward a lot more that i was. I
    dont know if my buttox is funny shaped or what, but ussually its hard
    for me to lean forward enough unless im sittin on the very very back end
    of the seat, but when i do that i slip off the back a considerable
    amount of times. I also noticed that the front of my seat is at a higher
    angle than the back so i turned the uni around and found that it was
    much easier, but was not comfortable with the skinny part of the seat
    poking my bum and the wide part hitting my legs. So today i took a small
    hand towel and taped it on the back of the seat to make it naturaly a
    higher angle. Ive found that this
    1. Makes the seat more comfortable
    2. Helps protect the uni seat from scrapes
    3. Allows me to lean forward more without thinking about it resulting in
    much futher rides than normal.

    Im now almost consistently breaking my record from last night with the
    towl on. Anywho, i was wondering if anyone else was having trouble
    leaning forward on their uni, and if so, what they did about it.

    Joseph

    --
    Twisthem488
    Twisthem488's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8309

  2. Catboy

    Catboy Guest

    I dont really reccomend doing the backwards seat and towel thing, I bet
    it was just sort of a placebo. Try riding normally now(wih the seat the
    right way and no towel) just be persistant. I am sure that funny shaped
    buttox has nothing to do with it. Heck look at me I have got one of the
    best looking butts out of anyone I have ever met(apart from these two
    underwear models)., and I have no problem riding. So just keep at it and
    unicycling wont be such a bummer:p...

    --
    Catboy - I enjoy the taste of dirt!

    [image: http://pics.xs.to/pics/04063/catko.jpg]
    I have the amazing power to talk to cats!=^.^=

  3. Aurum

    Aurum Guest

    I haven't personally had trouble of this kind, however, judging from
    some other people's comments about your particular model of uni, you
    might want to consider dumping it and getting one that's worth the
    investment.

    http://tinyurl.com/5s5ft

    "Stay away from the chrome CX unless you are under 8 yrs old. My
    youngest still rides with the kiddie seat but a bigger kid or adult will
    not like the CX seat. " - UniBrier

    --
    Aurum
    Aurum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8311

  4. uni412

    uni412 Guest

    I also had a Torker as my first uni and had similar problems. Its not
    you, its the seat. If what you are doing seems to be working, stick with
    it, but you may want to upgrade to a better seat in the future. (The
    Torker DX seat is a pretty good deal) Other than the seat I think you
    found a great starter uni.
    Stick with it.

    --
    uni412 - unicycle fanatic
    uni412's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4707

  5. daino149

    daino149 Guest

    Switching your seat may be the best thing to do. Like previously
    mentioned, the Torker DX saddle is good. It's a clone of the arguably
    better made KH saddle. The 'United Saddle'
    (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=242) and the 'Viscount
    saddle' (http://tinyurl.com/6ydv) are cheaper then the KH and Torker DX,
    but they aren't as comfy. All the saddles will hold up to a fair bit of
    abuse so don't be too concerned about dropping them.

    Note: The Viscount saddle is fairly tough, but the screws holding on the
    front and rear bumpers are prone to falling out. Replacing the screws
    with ones a size larger will fix the problem.

    I used to have a Chrome Torker (before they were called the CX) and I
    didn't know how bad that saddle was until I switched to a Miyata. x

    --
    daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

    Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.10.19
    Seatpost and rail adapter
    'My Xanga' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
    I need to find a job

  6. mango

    mango Guest

    Check out these reviews from unicycle.com of the seat that you have:
    http://tinyurl.com/5xqa9

    You are not alone with not liking this seat.

    I would second what daino said about the 'Torker DX saddle'
    (http://tinyurl.com/6q52b) being a good choice.

    The torker LX saddle isnt bad either. It's just like a miyata saddle.
    But for $8 more, i'd definitely go for the DX.

    The DX saddle does NOT come with a seat post. I would call unicycle.com
    up and ask them if the DX saddle will fit your CX seat post. If not,
    you'll have to also buy a seat post that fits your CX unicycle (looks
    like a 22.2mm seat post diameter?) and the DX saddle.

    Holy crap....and now i just realized that Kris Holm saddles are only
    $39. This would be the best (and cheapest) saddle if you can get it with
    a seat post that will fit your CX.

    Honestly, i just confused myself a whole lot writing this up. I would
    just call up unicycle.com (the numbers on their website) and tell them
    you need a better saddle for your torker CX. If these seats dont cost
    too much for you, i'd pick the Kris Holm saddle first, then torker DX,
    then Torker LX, then Viscount or something.

    I really hope i didnt confuse you too much. Good luck.

    [image: http://www.torkerusa.com/images/05_bikes/Unistar-CX.jpg]

    --
    mango - unity - as 1 stand together

    http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuv16

    "...I speculated that if we all got to know each other, one lawn mower
    would be enough for any neighborhood." -Keith Cash
    mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

  7. daino149

    daino149 Guest

    mango wrote:
    > Check out these reviews from unicycle.com of the seat that you
    > have:
    > http://tinyurl.com/5xqa9
    >
    > .
    > .
    > .
    >
    > Holy crap....and now i just realized that 'Kris Holm saddles'
    > (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=627) are only $39.
    > This would be the best (and cheapest) saddle if you can get it with a
    > seat post that will fit your CX.
    >
    > .
    > .
    > .
    >
    > edit#3: I'm losing my mind.

    Take it easy, no one ever said that education the world about unicycling
    would be easy.

    Twist- One thing to keep in mind is that unless you get a Savage
    saddle, you are getting something better then what you currently have.

    Now, you are in luck because the seat post you have will fit any saddle
    with the exception of the Miyata or the Torker LX (which are the same
    thing anyway). So like I, and several other people, have said, go for
    the Kris Holm, Torker DX, or Velo (which are all the [basically] same
    thing anyway).

    Are you thoroughly confused yet?

    --
    daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

    Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.10.19
    Seatpost and rail adapter
    'My Xanga' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
    I need to find a job

  8. Twisthem488

    Twisthem488 Guest

    Ok, I think im following you guys. Glad to know my poor riding entirely
    my fault :cool: It seems like the 'Kris Holm Saddle'
    (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=627) would be the best
    choice for an upgrade> Just got back from youthgroup which i rode it too
    while hanging on to some friends. It gets quite a bit of attention.
    Well, i guess I'd better stop procrastinating and do my homework.
    *sigh*

    Twisthem